Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Mine was free...should have tried more sessions. It was three person tank and there were four of us in there.
      Pretty nasty.

2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Wow 45ft is great. The chambers here 'only' go to 33ft. But 33ft is deep. I admire your efforts Goofy, keep it up!!

3. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013

I found a non-profit center that does treatments for $110 a hour for the shallow dive and $165 for the deep dive. That is just for the oxygen you use. You pay $500 down and settle up on Friday for the dives that week. They have a house that I am staying in for $20 a night. The people at the center are really nice and helpful. I have heard that some people can benifit from the treatment after the 90 window. It is just hard to find info from people that have been treated. Where are you located?
      I will be leaving in a moment for #10, will post later.

4. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Goofy,

Where in the US is this non-profit center?

mick

5. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      It is in Wauseon,OH near Toledo. The name of the center is Sara's Garden. http://www.sarasgarden.org/

6. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Located in the US in northwest Georgia. Unfortunately, just very expensive in what is available. I called around to several clinics in the Atlanta area. Got differing information. Most of them want a referral from a physician. Most of them wanted $350 - $500 for an initial consultation in addition to the treatments. Gordon Hospital, which is only 30 minutes away, wanted $1,000 per treatment, but said they may negotiate down based on all cash up front with a minimum of 10 sessions.

Most of the chambers in the Atlanta area are group chambers. I was referred to Kennestone hospital with a contracted service with a single chamber, and they were the $250 per treatment. Most facilities in this area are focusing on wound healing/treatment.

So, was something that I really could not work out financially.

7. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I didn't have to have a referral. I did have to provide medical history and some other paper work and they did the rest. I traveled 7hrs. from home to have these sessions and staying here in town. They have two chambers, one 5 person and a 10 person.

8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      How did the #10 go? Any improvements yet?

Not long and it's all over, you've endured well (I would hate being in a chamber like that, but hadn't I missed my window of opportunity, I would have gone for HBO anyway).

9. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      sorry for the late post
      Dive #10 and my T is about the same as yesterday still down some but not gone. Went to get a few items at the grocery store and didn’t really notice it while I was in there. So I think it has improved some so far. Worst part is I sit here at the house I am staying in an work all day with complete silence and I notice my T more I think. I need to add some noise tomorrow and see what that does. Maybe some soft music or tv. The chamber isn’t bad, there is 5 other people in with me and we watch movies or play Uno sometimes. Makes the time go by faster. 2 hours total is a long time in the chamber.

10. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Still bothersome while sleeping though.

11. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Dive #11 so far today it has been good. about like the past couple days T is still there but reduced some. Will see what the next couple of sessions do. I am only scheduled for 15 session but might condiser going 20 if I countiue to impove. If not I will stop at 15.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      how are you ears feeling? you must feel a lot of pressure in them by now

13. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Ears are feeling fine so for, haven't noticed any pressure yet.

14. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      OK, so I have been sleeping on a steep incline for a while. I decided to sleep laying down last night and that was not good. Woke up after about three hours and my T was pretty loud. Couldn’t go back to sleep for about an hour and then fell asleep for a little while. Thankfully after a couple of hours it was down again. Did dive #12 today and took a 45min drive to a Bass Pro shop (sporting goods store) and walked around for a while. I wasn’t real noisy in there but my ear was a little louder than it had been the last couple days. So after about an hour I decided to leave and come back to the house. So far it is still a little louder than it had been. Not sure if sleeping lying down or the trip made it worse. Will see how tomorrow goes and then dive #13 on Monday.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah I don't think the Bass Pro made things permanently worse, maybe there even wasn't a real connection, who knows, tinnitus being so unpredictable...

I hope you are back to the "normal" today and it's not ringing as loud as yesterday. Weekends go by fast, tomorrow's dive #13!

16. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013

17. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'd def consider doing the 20 Goofy. The earliest people tend to get a lowering is 12 sessions from what I've read.

You're doing so well. GOOD LUCK!

18. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thanks Louise, I did dive#13 today and after treatment it is usually low but then back to normal. I fell asleep for about an hour this afternoon and when I woke up it was louder but then back down after a while. I just don’t understand why it gets louder when sleeping. Tomorrow is #14 and I have to decide if I will continue or not. Thanks for everyone’s support so far.

19. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013

I just don't get it. I am setting here and my T is down again and just a couple hours ago it was a lot louder (after my little nap). I wander if the treatments are helping. Does anyone else that has T have fluctuations like that? Loud for a little while and down again. Can it change that quickly? I know I am a newbie to T and still a lot of stuff I don’t know. It is the same way when I sleep, I wake up one time and it is louder and an hour later I wake up and it is softer. Also I have to sleep practically setting up because for some reason when I sleep lying down I wake up after 2-3 hours of sleeping lying down and my T is horrible. I don’t understand this part. Does anyone else have this problem???

20. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Yesterday mine was screaming Goofy. This morning it buzzed and then it went away completely. It came back a couple of hours later, but it was light and hardly there. Now it is screeching again. A few days ago I had a whole day with nothing - absolutely nothing at all... not even my morning buzz (and I've had that morning buzz every day for over 11 months).

Yes, it can change very quickly. The sound can also change.. . not just the volume.

I thought that sleeping laying down was making it worse but now I'm not sure.

T is horrible. It's evil and relentless - not necessarily continuous... but still relentless because it keeps coming back.

Some days I feel in control again and other days it has me completely in its grasp.

(ps. Louise... you doing ok? oh & can you stop sending your snow down this way... it's freezing. :p)

21. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013

Thanks, That is great that you have days of little to no T. Mine is always the same tone and only goes up and down in volume, a very high pitch squeal. I also have up and down days dealing with T but not as bad as the first couple of weeks when it was the worse.

22. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Goofy, I've heard from some very seasoned T-ites that it is worse after napping. T people cannot nap it seems. So, you are not alone in that one, its just a feature of it. Means no napping :(

I really hope that you go for the extra 5 treatments. You've done all the groundwork now. I'm going to try to find the links I read about it, I'm sure one said '20 is better than 15' in the results.

Keep STRONG!

23. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hey you - I am doing good actually. Its all down to the Pregabalin. Dont want to say anything too soon but its relieved my anxiety and I feel like myself again even WITH the T. I seem able to ignore it a lot more and do other things. The drug hasnt reduced the noise though. But, I'd rather feel like this than I did before.

Anyway, about the snow, suck it up like we have to up North! X

• Like Like x 1
    24. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Hey - that is excellent :) You are sounding so much more positive. Really glad you found something that helps Louise & I'm crossing everything that it continues xx

But please take the snow back - it told me this morning that it's feeling disorientated being way down in Hampshire :p

25. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks hon xx (but you HAVE to take the snow - its character building! :))

• Like Like x 1
    26. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Dive #14 done and it is usually alright during treatment. Afterwards my T usually increases a little then back down after a while. This afternoon my T has been a little quieter, almost to a manageable state. But as I write I am noticing a little more. Will have to wait and see how the night goes.

27. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Going for #15 this morning. I am considering extending my sessions not sure yet will discuss it with the staff at HBOT center. Will update later.

28. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Dive #15 and about the same as yesterday so far. I am going to finish out the week and to do 2 more dives. That will be 17 Total.

29. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well done Goofy. Hope those last two do it for you.

30. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Dive #16 and T seemed down a level after treatments and stayed for a while. Has increased some this afternoon and will see what tonight does. Slept a little better last night, I didn’t wake up every hour. I don’t know if things are better or I was just really tired. T was only loud one of the times I woke up last night. Hope it is the same tonight.

Tomorrow is the last dive. Then I have a 6 hour drive home afterwards. So far I can’t say how much it has helped me. I think it has helped some but will have wait and see what happens after treatments are over. I haven’t had a bad flare up since the first day of treatments which was almost three weeks ago. I believe that is the longest I have went without a bad flare up.
      I will update in a couple days after I get home.