Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thanks Louise,
      I will keep everyone updated on my treatment.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Done with Dive#4. Left ear still has ringing about back to where it was before treaments started.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Dive #5 done and one more tomorrow and then off a day. Yesterday was good T was calm most of the day, the usual annoying will sleeping though.

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Goofy. I cant wait to see what happens for you with your next sessions.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You are doing great. I'm sure the one day off won't have a negative effect on the end result.

Thanks so much for the updates, not that many have gone through HBO here.

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No, one day off wont matter. None of the HBO centres are open on Sundays in the UK. And it was experts in the UK I spoke to about how to do HBO for T.

Keep it up Goofy only another 2 weeks to go!!

7. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Ready to leave for dive#6, think I am going to venture out after treatments for a while. Been staying at the house working after treatments all week. Need a break. Missed my daughters variety show last night @ high school because I am away from home. At least they video it so I can watch it later.

Thanks for the support so for guys.

8. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Did dive #6 this morning. I noticed the past couple of days that I could hear a hiss or high pitch like a whistle in the chamber. Today after chamber was pressured I used an earplug in my left ear enough to block the noise. Seemed to help I think. The noise we think is coming from plexiglas housing that the tv is in. The tv has to have pressured different than chamber so it won't harm it. The noise isn't real loud just annoying.
      Also when the chamber pressurizes and depressurizes it is a little loud. I usually plug my ear during this.

9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I always wore earplugs and headphones as I found the noise too loud and wasnt taking chances.
      Your chamber might be different. The one I went in could seat 8 people but I still found it massively claustrophobic. I really struggled with that.

10. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      This chamber seats 10 people and has three port holes that you can see out of. Were you in the chamber by yourself or was there other people in with you? There has been 4 other people in my sessions plus a nurse.

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The one I was in had 3 portholes too.

Because of my claustrophobia I couldnt go in with anyone else. The centre have 2 chambers so they very kindly organised things so that I could go in alone. I was still totally claustrophobic though and was hyperventilating and trying to control panic by reading to take my mind off it for the full hour!!

I hated the oxygen mask the most, I find it made it difficult to breathe but they told me that this was my anxiety.

As I started mine quite a time after the window of opportunity I already felt it probably wouldnt work for me and becasue of this and the panic I didnt do the sessions back to back like you are supposed to.

12. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Hi Goofy,

Are you noticing any improvement in T? I tried to give HBO another shot a few week ago but then I noticed I was getting a new hissing sound in my right ear so I stopped after the second session.

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Eric N,

After the first treatment my T spiked for some reason, I continued on and each day was better. Yesterday was the sixth session and T was calm all day. I start again tomorrow; will see how next week goes. I have read that it can take up to 10 sessions before some people notice a difference.

14. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is good news, but what caused your T in the first place? was it from a loud noise? did you get checked for any hearing loss?

15. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      It was caused by loud noise (woodworking). I went to an ENT and had a hearing test and it was ok.

16. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The best improvement with HBO Ive ever read about is 8 sessions and next is 12. And that's early. You have to give it time.

Your noise damage is cumulative then Goofy and not just a big exposure once??

Also how do you know your test was ok, did the ENT just say 'its normal'? Have you seen your test results? Honestly, I wouldnt believe what they say. They do not understand tinnitus. They are only coming from the perspective of whether you can still hear speech more or less ok. Tinnitus is often caused by a MINOR hearing loss. They just dont get it because they are not trained for it because NO-ONE in the medical profession is. There is so little real understanding by professionals its incredible.

17. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013

It was cumulative, I seen the results from the test and it showed minor loss at one frequency. I don't remember which one though.

18. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You should get your hearing checked again after treatment to see if there is any significant difference.

19. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ok Goofy, thanks. Keep batting on with the HBO. Something to note, though I havent wanted to say..... at the centre I went to, there had a been a woman go there who had had T for years I am told. She could not sleep. She had sessions and got relief then kept on and on having more until she reached a plateau she was very happy with and stopped. In her words she could 'sleep again'. This is a real person, a real story. I have it first hand. I know there is supposed to be little chance after a certain time period but it happened for her.

Keep posting for us Goofy and good luck!

20. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      @Eric,
      I will consider that after treatments.

@Louise,
      That is nice to know, I will contue to post my journey.

21. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Treatment #7 and thought it might have been toned down a little today for a while not sure, could be wishful thinking. it is about normal this afternoon. Have to wait and see what happens the next couple of days.

22. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Good signs, sounds like it? Hopefully it goes down and stays down! The rest of the week will be undoubtedly very interesting for you, waiting what happens.

23. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Sounds good. A difference in 7 sessions would be early though. I've read of someone getting benefit at 8 and someone at 12.

Keep up the good work Goofy.

Do you know what depth your are going to?

24. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Dive #8 and about the same. seems like it was fading in and out for a little bit after session. but still the same as past couple days.

I am at about 45ft depth or 2.4 pressure. They call it the deep dive.

25. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Sorry for the late post, Dive #9 today and it seems to be lower for most of the day. Slept better last night also. Will see what tomorrow brings.

26. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I did 10 dives and nothing , my friend also did 10 dives and was completely cured , for him there was next to no result until the last 2 dives so hang in there:)

27. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      How did you and your friend get T? Mine was noise induced.
      How long after T did you and your friend do treatments?

28. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I went way too late , 8 months . Mine is ototoxic ,although I work in music....so..
      My friend went after 3 weeks - month , his was noise induced.

I still kind of regret not going for more sessions.
      My advice , do all the sessions you can.

29. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thanks for the info. I started treatments last week @ about 7weeks of T. I am scheduled for 15 sessions.

• Like Like x 1
    30. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Hope it works for you. I called about HBOT. The cheapest was $250 a session, minimum 10 sessions, all cash - up front and was an hour and a half away. Another hospital 30 minutes away offered it via a wound center and it was $1,000 per session, which they may have discounted with all up front payments. My insurance deductible is $6,000, so unfortunately, nothing I could afford to try. My 90 days has passed now. So, on I go...

If you don't mind me asking, will your insurance pay for your treatment, or do you have to pay yourself? Again, best of luck, I hope it helps.