I Am a Bit Freaked Out Fearing a Setback

Discussion in 'Support' started by Forever hopeful, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I am 2 weeks in. I was on my way to dinner for my son's birthday and had my phone in my hand. The boys were fighting in the back seat yelling at each other. I instinctively put my hands up over my ears to protect them from the noise forgetting I had the phone in my hand. Just then a text message came through and I got a loud ring "ring noise from the phone alerting to the text" in my tinnitus ear, the phone was right up to my ear. I am so upset and so freaked out. Is this going to set me back? Is it going to get worse? I am so upset. My husband as usual is thinking that I am overreacting. Why can't I get a break?

2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Most likely it won't cause a set back or for your T condition to become permanently worse. However, sustained anxiety and fear can temporarily exacerbate an existing T condition by causing or sustaining a spike.

So, the best thing you can do right now is to try to calm yourself down. Take it from a long-time veteran, you'll be OK..(y)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thank you Jim. I am so new to this I have no idea what to expect. I want my life back. I want to not be afraid to go into a quiet room. We had to pick up my mother-in law for this dinner and I refused to go in as her house is really quiet. My husband got mad at me but he just thinks the ENT is going to flush out my ears this Thursday when I finally see him for this and everything will be fine. No support at home. Just fighting kids and a husband who does not get it. And I try to be so careful. Got ear plugs. Even made the restaurant turn the music down.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      As JimH has said,
      It won't cause further damage so try not get anxious and if worried set a lower volume on it .
      I think it was the shock of it happening but don't panic you will be fine.....lots of love glynis