I Am Profoundly Cured

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Toddcrowther, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Over 15 years of the worst t I can imagine and it is gone. It was the high pitch tv going on type and also lower frequencies at times. 2 visits to emergency rooms, 2 psychiatrists, multiple psychologists and councillors. I had to quit my job as a pilot. Be as honest with yourself as possible. Is there some internal battle that even you may not be consciously aware of? An emotional conflict? Perhaps with a child or parent. Please be willing to explore this even if it seems stupid to you. The freedom is worth it. I swear to you I am free.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Comgrats!!! Did u just wake up with it
      Gone? Was yours drug/noise/ etc induced?!!

3. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Spontaneous habituation.... :)...

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Does this mean your tinnitus is gone or your reaction to it is no longer negative? My uncle used to tell me that tinnitus is rampant among pilots, both civil and military.

5. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am really sorry you had T that long, but Im SO HAPPY to hear it has gone. Thanks for letting us know as well!

6. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Hey,

That's amazing to hear - really happy for you!!

Does this mean your tinnitus came out of the blue, probably caused by stress?

And are you suggesting resolving all stress related issues etc. in order to cure T?

7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      1. How loud was it compared to environmental sounds?
      2. What caused your tinnitus?
      3. To what do you attribute your recovery (please elaborate) ?

:joyful:

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      No, I always thought it was a combination of a degree of hearing loss and stress. It seems to be stress in so many of us. I heard it coming over a period of days. First it was more of a feeling, I guess because it was too high to hear. I tried things like SSRI's and even an anti-psychotic. What worked for me was the fact that I finally found the unconscious cause within me for the stress. It was like an unstoppable force hitting an immoveable object. It is like waking up from amnesia and looking back and realizing what was going on. The funny thing is that, only in hindsight am I now able to see it. A psychiatrist once told me that we can be manipulated into doing things and even made to believe that they are things we want to do when I fact the very opposite is true. I am aware this sounds flakey, but I believe there are a lot more of you in similar situations.

• Like Like x 3
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      No not at all. Nothing spontaneous about it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Yes, and as much as possible yes, but not just obvious stress, I am speaking of profound stress in life that you may not even see. I have heard of people going through years of analysis and then having epiphanies. The analysis wasn't there in my case, but the epiphany was, and then almost just like that...If I concentrate, I can hear a little noise, but why would I look for it? I know you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      So its self-reflection:)

12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Sounds like habuitation?

13. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      If you can still hear some noise, surely it's still there but you are not consumed by it?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      too
      Well I'm not really interested in putting a label on it, but I would be interested in hearing from people with not dissimilar experiences. This is real. Years of agony are a memory. You're right, I am ecstatic. I hope this works for others, but I would be doubtful too in their situation because I never saw my causes until after the fact. I had absolutely no idea. No matter what you think of what I am saying, reflect on this and don't write it off as just another goofball.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      I am not going to go looking for it, but I suppose so. I guess I am now one of those annoying people who, when you explain your situation, says to you, "Oh ya, I have that," and then goes on like nothing.

16. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      My point was that what you are talking about is analyzing, eg. reflecting yourself back at you. This means finding certain patterns in your thinking that continue in your life but are not very productive. Its just a term, not a label:) This method is often used in CBT. Probably it did help, as it enables you to let go of negative feelings, reduce stress etc.
      Einstein said that you cant expect having different results by doing the same thing, so if i understand you just started thinking differently.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      OK good. Good luck to you. I have told my story as clearly as I am willing here and I wish it can help others because IT IS GREAT! I love life again.

Much more profound than just thinking differently, like I said earlier, an epiphany, it feels like I imagine Divine intervention would feel. Look inside yourself. What is the cause of your angst assuming you have any? Don't say tinnitus because I believe this is not the cause but the result. I do not know how people can find it in themselves because we are all different as you know and in me it wasn't easy to see until events opened my eyes, then the floodgates swung. I thought tinnitus was causing my state then suddenly I experienced that it was in fact not the cause, but a symptom, a very, very awful symptom. Glorious.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Congrats:) Always good to see people who manage to overcome the hurdles of life. I read an article about a 25-year-old woman recently who became blind when she was 15 due to diabetes. She said that she thinks of her blindness as one of lifes nuisances. She also said that she often thinks about people who have it worse than her - that doenst make her happier, but does discipline her to complain less. This year she got an MA in Law (summa cum laude). :)
      What do you do for a living now?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Hi, I used my savings and my wife and I bought an old house years ago. I fought back by teaching myself carpentry, plumbing, wiring etc. and rebuilt it. It was originally built in the 1920's and needed a complete rebuild, crooked floors, outdated everything. I changed it from 1 bathroom to 3 and put in stairways to convert the attic, etc. etc. etc. Also I learned to do all my own repairs to the cars, washer and dryer, dishwasher etc. My wife is a professional and brought in enough if we didn't have to pay for anything besides basics. Also we have twins and I was there with them while she worked. They were born after I developed tinnitus and are 13 now. When she was home, I sometimes did odd jobs for acquaintances and neighbors for extra money. I can do all kinds of stuff now. I did this all in an effort to survive and fight the demon. I was able to build equity in our lives because now we have a cute 3 story cottage by the sea. Now I can go back to work.

• Like Like x 3
    20. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So, is your tinnitus gone now or are you just habituated to it?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Currently I do not notice anything, but I have not gone for a hearing test.

22. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Toddcrowther,
      Just want to thank you for comming here to tell us about your recovery. Belilve a lot of people that heal do not bother to do so. It is important to all of us.

All the best to you and your family!

• Like Like x 1
    23. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Wonderful story!!!!! Happy for youu and the best of luck! Ill remember this one day if my T ever decides to take a turn for the worse... ;)

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Thank you man. On thing I experienced over the years was some negative people on these sites. They want to tell you why you are wrong. That is my story, it is still happening to me better and better. It's actually unbelievable. I do not know any one else's situation and am not saying that I have any answers for someone else. I simply wanted to pass on what I have recently experienced and why I KNOW this has happened for me. Here is an interesting, and I believe related note. I am peeiing so much easier and quicker than before. Funny and sounds crazy. I now figure that even that was affected by my unknown, for lack of a better word, battle. Also note that I appreciate the positive messages such as yours. Being kind but not letting yourself be walked on is an important trait, and you and others have exhibited that which makes me believe there is a great hope for serious remission for a personality like yours. Hate is bad to have inside, but also being too accommodating to others is not good for us. I encourage everyone to consider that for themselves.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    25. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      The human body is one system. Not many isolated systems, as todays healthcare often tries to treat it. Stress affects the entire body, i.e. system and it can mess us up in many many ways. I also believe that T can be a symptom, not a cause, of our stress, fear, anxiety etc unresolved issues in life. Thanks for sharing your story!

• Like Like x 1
    26. DanielJP
      Curious

DanielJP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Toddcrowther
      Thanks so much for sharing your story! I'm so glad you were able to find and solve the root cause of your "demon". Inspiring! It gives me hope that one day I can find it too.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      What about noise exposure tho? My t is 100 percent caused by noise... Maybe if mine didnt have a cause i could say its stress and then be more hopeful it could resolve on its own if i got through the stress but not likely in my case since its all noise exposure related. Very confusing but guess anything is possible!

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Sweetheart, I don't know if I have any answers, but if you would like my opinion, no matter what the cause, the noise you perceive is due to other factors, and like someone who gets morphine, the pain, or in this case tinnitus is still there, they just don't care. If you can figure out yourself inside, do you have some hidden issue with your mother, or maybe daughter say, something you are not aware of. Do you do too much for them, do you feel disapproval from someone, do you honestly think of yourself, as as good as anyone else, way down inside, have you gone through years of thinking at some level, someone or everyone is better than you? Do you acquiesce to others..on and on. Stuff like that. Not just the obvious stuff, I am a good person and I like puppies, but the real hardcore delicate and confusing issues inside. When free of that and you feel as good as anyone from the Pope to the president, not superior, but know that no one is better than you, then hopefully things will dramatically improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I know quite a few people who have had ringing in their ears for a year to two years after noise exposure for then to resolve completely. Even read about a few people.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Toddcrowther

Toddcrowther Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Mr. Cartman, an attitude of caring like you have shown with that comment is exactly the type of medicine that will cure, all be it slowly, the world.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1