I Bought a Motorcycle — Afraid of It Making My Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christophe_85, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello everyone!

I have always had a scooter to go to my different places since I was 16... And also always wanted to buy a motorcycle...

I tried some motorcycles +/- powerful and finally I prefer small engines like 125cm3!

So I bought the small Honda MSX 125, which is very nice to ride with! :)

BUT...

Now I begin to be afraid of riding it because of the possible risk of increasing my tinnitus... :(

I already put earplugs in my both ears when riding both the scooter and motorcycle and never go very fast...

I don't know if this is because I hear my tinnitus more when I have my earplugs on or the sensation with the wind, I become scared and sad because it is a real pleasure to ride with it... :(

What do you think?

Any riders reading this thread? ;)

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Christophe,

I would say some bikes are safe to drive, some others are less safe :) I have a friend who has a 125cc and it does not sound dangerously loud at all.
      Is there any way you could safely measure how loud it is when driving? You'll know how many hours you can drive it per day without risk

update: but that's true you also have to take the wind noise in account. Not sure how you could measure that.. All in all I guess it's around 90dB. Just my guess though. By the way, I do not think it is recommended to drive with plugs, it can be dangerous..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      If you have a good full face helmet, that should act as ear muff by itself.
      The problem with riding bikes is, that you have to be able to hear and you need to have eyes in the back of your head..way too many idiots on the road these days.
      If you stick ear plugs in, you are essentially compromising one of the senses that helps to keep you safe.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think the main problem is the wind noise on long distances, as the exhaust system can always be silenced, and 125 cc are not so loud anyway...

So I think a full face helmet which fits you well and doesn't let the wind come through, with a pair of customized earplugs specifically for riding bikes should do the job...

I always had bikes and now I have been one year without it and thinking of getting one soon myself :)

Ride safe and enjoy !!! Ciao !

• Like Like x 2
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I ride scooters myself (PCX150) and agree with all of the advice given thus far. The biggest issue with me, as mentioned, is the wind. It does at times set off my tinnitus for the remainder of the day, but that's the price we pay for having fun while dealing with tinnitus.
      Mike
      PS: I'm waiting for the new Honda Forza to be introduced in the US.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    6. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Life is many choices combined. We will live our lives and take care of the T too.
      Please make your own decision and accept any consequences.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think the 2 main things I'd worry about is:
      - engine noise: make sure you have a muffler that quiets the engine well (or go electric!)
      - wind noise: make sure you have a helmet that quiets it well (and/or consider ear plugs - which you already do)

But no matter what, I'd give it a try progressively. Start riding for 5 minutes, then 10, 15, 30, 60... and see how your ears react to that.

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      It's your life, do what you want...and know the consequences and be ok with accepting them.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello Julien ! :)

In fact I like small Motorcycles anyway, until 125 cm3, and I only have the licence until this kind of engine anyway... ;)

Actually I would say that my new Honda MSX is even less loud than my Scooter... But I don't know, maybe my helmet is not good enough, or maybe the wind... Not sure...

I know that these past months I haven't had a healthy diet, too much sugar, lactose and fat... I definitely have troubles with food... :(

But is 90dB already loud ? I don't know the dB measurements...

I am "lucky" I don't wish to ride bigger, louder and faster Motorcycles ! o_O

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Dear Greg,

Thanks for your advice ! :)

In fact, this Motorcycle is quiet compare to most of other Scooters and Motorcycles... I am more concerned about the wind I guess... And something that maybe doesn't help is the fact that I put my earplugs on and I hear my T stronger in my head...

I don't know if this is due to some Reactive Tinnitus, hard to tell !

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I agree with you but in an other way I don't want to take the risk to increase this shit... :(

But I have to quit already many things because of Tinnitus and Hyperacousis...

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, that is expected. The less masking you let in, the more T will stand out.

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I know you're looking for support but in my opinion it is really risky and not worth it, I know if someone said to me "stop sewing, it will affect your T"...i know it would be heartbreaking not to sew any more, but the risk is not only louder T but also the high rate of injury and trauma, injuries which could make your T worse. I have a friend who had her T from a car accident...really sad to see now that she has to suffer with scars on her face as well as T. Just saying, my dad rides harley davidsons and it's so scary to see him on the road with the other crazy drivers these days.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Yes I totally agree and this why this is very complicated to deal with...

Because if I don't protect my ears with plugs or other, the risk of my T increasing can be big (I guess)...

And in the other way, when I put those plugs on, I hear the Tinnitus much louder that they already are !

Don't really know what to do... :(

15. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Ride a bike ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I agree with you, in fact I bought it because I really wanted it... But now I am scared to increase my T... :(

So I don't use it, or really few...

After I don't like high speed, so I always ride quite softly, I am not worried about that... ;)

I saw you started a Thread about Motorcycles, did you use to ride ?

17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      If it's less loud than your scooter you shouldn't worry at all in my opinion. Only the wind noise at high speed for hours could be problematic.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I almost did ride in college, one of my gfs who has been riding since high school convinced me to get a bike. I almost did, then she got into a car accident and then had scars along with T and that pretty much ended that conversation. She's a psychologist now and won't even mention motorcycles. I only ride those motor bike things when i am in SE Asia (I go back once a year)...they're fun but nothing compared to the ones here in the US. I prefer sailing, since my father does yacht racing...I've been on a boat since i was a kid...have you considered something on the water to replace your thirst for fast speedy things? =]

19. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I rode a motorbike for 6 years. And yes, with ear plugs in your tinnitus will seem louder. It's not any louder but by blocking every other sound out, it gives the perception of an increase in volume.
      With a helmet and ear plugs in, you have nothing to fear in relation to the noise of the engine. But make sure you always wear your ear plugs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I ride a bicycle and to cut down on wind noise, while still being able to safely hear, I use a pair of soft earplugs, cut to about 3/4 of their original size, not pushed in deep. I am a side sleeper, and also use a single cut earplug to sleep sometimes, to reduce light but safe noise, for the ear that is not on the pillow.

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I am not that knowledgeable about this subject regarding bikes and noise levels. I can see that your passionate about it and conflicted.

My optimistic advice would be wear ear plugs and a helmet that is good at blocking noise and monitor your T. If it starts to get worse or more bothersome, obviously stop right away. I'm not sure if that's road safe though because don't you want to hear the other vehicles?

I don't know the right answer to this and I know it's tough because its something you love. I hate when i see the response "make decisions and accept the consequences", but I think that is the realistic answer.

I hope it all works out in the end for you! Be safe on the road regardless of your choice!

22. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I feel like I am missing something in your post or I am just stupid (probable).

You use an earplug for the ear that isn't on the pillow to block light and noise? What does light do to your tinnitus? Are you sleeping in a loud noise environment that requires earplugs to sleep?

23. SteveS

SteveS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't understand these responses. To mask my tinnitus I find that wind noise is very helpful, yet most here say wind noise makes their T worse. I live in Seattle and when I take a ferry a half hour to one of the area islands I stand outside on the bow and the rush of the wind in my ears offers great relief. A large fountain or anything resembling a waterfall, even in a garden, also helps. I was thinking of getting a scooter to mask the T, and now I'm thinking it will have the opposite effect. Obviously I would need to simply test drive a few models. Anyone else here helped by wind noise?

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Actually I am sick on boats... LOL

And to be frank, I really prefer on the road, but what you do seems exciting !

Is it boat with engine or with sails ?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I think before it also helped me forget my T a bit...

But since a few months, I find it not as comfortable as before...

I think this is related to my condition in general... I need to move and relax a lot more !

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I am more sensitive to noise as I am more tense, this is for sure !

27. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Either one really, I love to sail...nothing like watching the sunset over the ocean with a glass of wine hehe. Also being on the ocean takes me away from T =]

• Like Like x 1
    28. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I ride a dual sport motorcycle (XR650L) and I have rode it with tinnitus for about a year now.

I went on many long full day trips on it to different spots in my area. I haven’t noticed any spikes from riding my motorcycle. I would suggest it but make sure to wear ear plugs at ALL TIMES when riding it. It’s not the exhaust that’s the problem (If it’s a stock exhaust for a 125cc) but the wind noise. Highway wind noise can exceed 100 decibels so I would suggest sticking to lower traffic speeds and staying off the Highway. The helmet does not provide much or any sound protection and according to what I read online it can even make wind noise louder.

I have not tried it yet but there is a helmet online that claims to make a helmet that can block out most of the wind noise and keeps it under 85 decibels. That might be a good purchase on top of wearing ear plugs. I wouldn’t modify the exhaust also but that should be a no brainer. Good luck and if you make the choice to ride happy riding! It really is a great hobby.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello thanks for your answer ! :)

Yes definitely this is the wind that is the most loud thing when riding... Because my Motorcycle is a brand new model with really not a loud engine, I couldn't ride something too loud anyway ! LOL

Do you know the brand of this Helmet ?

I tried the brand "Schubert" but I didn't like it... :/

• Like Like x 1
    30. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No problem! I honestly do not know the brand of helmet I think it may have been Sena but I watched CycleCruza on YouTube and one or two of his videos mentioned it which I will link in this post. He has lots of helpful videos about safety gear which I recommend and I bought a lot of things he has suggested in his videos.

Myth: Quiet Motorcycle Helmet - STOP THE LIES!...

Sena Noise Control Helmet! No More Ear...

• Useful Useful x 1