I Have Visited Nightclubs — No Spikes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Johan Berndt, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Hello TT!

I started school like 5 weeks ago, and the first 4 weeks we have different activities each day. A lot of these activities includes alcohol. I have moderate tinnitus, but I have visited the nightclub we have here 5 times these 4 weeks. I have used foam plugs and haven't noticed any spike at all.

Just wanted to tell you that don't let your tinnitus stop you from doing stuff that you want to do! Feel free to ask anything :)

• Like Like x 3
    2. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Great positivity!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Pete Lomby

Pete Lomby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Earwax
      Are the foam plugs extremely visible?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      I put them very deeply, and well you can see them if you look from the right angle, otherwise no. But I have hair over my ears, which make it even harder to see the earplugs. But don't care if people comment about that you use earplugs, because that type of people isn't people you want to hang out with :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Good for you. However, keep it mind that you have moderate tinnitus now. So one time messing up or being too overconfident and not plugging them can cause major problems. That is what i did. Do not do that!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)

If you're looking for discretion I advise you the Eardial plugs, they look like this:

570900plug6.png

7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      i use custom molds but glad to hear someone else spread the word. The key is to make sure that you are putting them in correctly.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Did you visited a nightclub without earplugs? And how much worse got your tinnitus?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      I am going to get custom molds soon with 25db filter :)

10. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It should come with a 15 db and 25/30 filter....i got westone....luv em sooooooo much (have a spare pair just in case)....i would use the heavy duty one for all loud events....i use the 15 if i am in a noisey area or place such as the city (im from NY). cheers :beeranimation:

**** I would also like to add be careful about bass volumes. They can be an issue if its too high

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Are you visiting nightclubs or concerts sometimes?
      Haha cheers ;)

12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      been going to alot of weddings this yr...my own is actually in 3 weeks....but i went out hard this past weekend....booze cruise, bars on friday and saturday wedding and after party bar. If you didnt see in my last post be careful about bass volumes. They can be an issue if its too high

13. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Julien87. How is the quality of those earplugs? And how much less dB?

14. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Clubs are fucking loud and anyone who thinks wearing earplugs is stupid is gonna suffer when they get tinnitus themselves from not wearing them.

15. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I really don't believe visiting clubs is a good advice if you have tinnitus. After all lack of spikes isn't an indication that there's no damage. Hearing damage may accumulate from loud sound exposure of that kind so one day tinnitus can go BAM leaving you wondering what on earth just happened.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am pleased to hear that you haven't had any increase or spikes in your tinnitus. Please be assured that wearing earplugs will not necessarily stop a person from getting spikes in their tinnitus or it becoming worse. No earplugs no matter how good are 100% safe from loud noise. The reason is because sound can be transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction. This is when sound passes through the skull. Not only that, but low bass frequencies can also be harmful to the auditory system and spike tinnitus.

I say again, that I'm pleased that you haven't noticed any adverse effects from going to nightclubs. I also advocate that a person should go out and have a good time. However, one should also be prudent and know that loud sounds can be harmful. This cavalier attitude is sending out the wrong message to people that don't know better.

Please read the post below, that was written by a member of this forum who is an Audio engineer, and if I were you I'd take notice of his advice. Another thing, if you listen to music through headphones I advise you not to even at low volume.

Michael

@Bill Weir

Hi!

I'm an audio engineer and now have T. I hate to have to tell you this but there are no earplugs that can protect you in the typical nightclub environment. The best protection will only lower the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) by about 30 db. Assuming the sound is typical, it's going to hover around 105 db A when measured using long term averaging, slow response on a meter. This means there will be peaks well in excess of 120 db"A" weighted. Weighting the scales of measurement on the sound meter gives more accurate readings. "A" weighting approximates what your eardrum is sensitive to... meaning sound with the deep bass filtered out. "C" weighting includes the bass and is generally 15-30 db higher than an "A" reading.

So, 105 db A (typical nightclub or major concert translates into 130 db "C" or more including the bass. How long do people generally stay in the average nightclub? Too long! 4 hour stay is average. A concert is generally 2.5 hours. Many people will stay in the club all night until they are "OK" to drive and be back in public LMAO. The drugs people do screws up their judgement and desensitizes them to physical sensation and people damage themselves without realizing it.

Sound levels pretty much everywhere are TOO loud IMO. Instead of the industry standard 105 db A (Live Nation SPL cap) I like to keep it at 96-98 for people. Why so loud? Above 96 db the fight or flight response begins to kick in and you get that rush of excitement you get at a concert. It's a lot of what people pay for. Deep bass goes in through bone transconductance. You don't "hear" it with your eardrum you feel it This is how it is possible to have bass with headphones. If this transconductance did not occur, the long wavelengths that make bass would not have enough distance to unfold when using headphones. So, earplugs DO NOT protect you from low frequency damage. Not even a little bit.

So, on the one hand, you're going to have 100db + peaks getting through your earplugs in the range above 100 Hz (low note on a 4 string bass guitar is 41.7 Hz) and the bass below will pressurize your cochlea like nothing is even there, straight through the bone. Some of the subwoofer arrays I have installed in places must have security grating around them to keep people from getting within ten feet of the subwoofer array because the array produces well over 150 db down at 35Hz at 1 meter distance and would make them nauseous or in some extreme cases even worse than that.

I can say this definitively from direct personal and professional experience. If you value your hearing and do not want your tinnitus to increase, avoid these places or if you must go limit your exposure considerably.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Of course it's not good. But I can't stop living my life because I have tinnitus. Because then my tinnitus won :)

Okey :) Yeah bass isn't good, because earplugs can't protect from it

Hi! Of course earplugs isn't 100% safe. And I am trying to limit my time at loud places like nightclub. But I don't want my tinnitus to stop me from what I want to do. Probarly my tinnitus will get worse some day, and I will regret that I have went to nightclub and stuff like that. But sooner or later I will habitate. If my tinnitus don't get any worse, well that's good ;)

And honestly maybe my tinnitus has got a little bit worse, I don't know, it's hard to tell. I have'nt habitated 100%. I hear my tinnitus when I'm home, but it's much stuff to do at my school so I don't hear it there (only sometimes, when I am thinking of that I actually have tinnitus).

I have actually a friend with mild T that's goes to nightclubs without earplugs. Probarly it will get worse for him some day, but so far it hasn't. But I am thinking that atleast I am much better protester then him, and his tinnitus haven't got any worse so far :)

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are new to tinnitus and have it relatively mild. I will give you some advice and whether you want to act upon it is entirely up to you. Firstly, habituation doesn't mean that you will never hear your tinnitus. If you want to know what habituation to tinnitus means please read my post: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Most people do learn to habituate to tinnitus and are able to carry on with their life doing everything that they want to without too much problems. When tinnitus is severe it can be very debilitating. If you continue on your present path and throwing caution to the wind, you stand a very good chance of your tinnitus becoming severe. If this happens you will then know the reason I, and others on this thread have warned you to be careful because it will be like living your worst nightmare, that has no end.

You have been advised.
      Michael

19. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      They don't protest against any of it?

What's the point of plugs then?

20. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably tension in the jaw, neck and shoulders
      So in other words : you should not go out because there is a chance that your life will change in a nightmare?

I recently started to go out again and I am always scared, also the day after. This kind of posts make me think that I am making a mistake by going out. I just don't know what to think: only on tinnitustalk you read about nightmare-tinnitus, in real life there are sooo many people with t who go out without getting a permanent spike.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @MiaX
      No..That is not what I'm saying. Please read the post above written by Bill Weir, who's an Audio engineer. I am saying one has to be careful when going to clubs, concerts or any place where there are very loud sounds. I believe a person should go out and enjoy themselves at clubs etc if they want to. Please read my post below. Do not pay attention to what other people are doing that have tinnitus. If they want to go to places where there are overly loud sounds and use headphones, it is their choice. If and when they "blow it" they only have themselves to blame.

Sorry to sound so sobering but these are the facts. Tinnitus is not something to take lightly.
      Michael

Tinnitus, earplugs and nightclubs.

Someone that has tinnitus I believe they should try and live a normal life as they possibly can. This includes going out to clubs, concerts and other venues of entertainment where music is played if they wish to. For some, tinnitus can be difficult to live with without putting further restrictions on their life. However, I also believe taking the necessary precautions is absolutely vital, in preventing noise trauma to the inner ear, which could make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

Unfortunately, in some instances a person can be left in a hit or a miss situation, as there is no way of knowing if they have put themselves in harms way until after enjoying a night out, find their tinnitus has become louder and more intrusive over the coming days. One hopes this will be a temporary spike but there is no guarantee this new level of intensity won’t become permanent and could require a visit to ENT. Sorry to sound so sobering but these are the facts as I see it.

One way of protecting yourself from inner ear damage is to wear noise-reducing earplugs when going to nightclubs or concerts. They will reduce external sounds, in this case music and fortunately won’t impair sound quality, which is so important to most people attending these venues. The earplugs are available in various degrees of attenuation from as little as 9 decibels right up to 25 and even higher. If money is no object, one can buy custom moulded earplugs with the full knowledge they are getting the best ear protection that they can afford.

A word of caution to anyone that might not be in the know. I believe no level of ear protection is one hundred percent safe; so one still needs to be careful when attending nightclubs and concerts and not get carried away in thinking, wearing earplugs is completely safe so anything goes and you can stand next to the speakers all night or right up near to the stage where the music is booming out. Some people might not be aware, if music is loud enough it can still be transferred to the inner ear and reach the cochlear and cause damage via the Mastoid bone. This is a hard piece of bone behind each ear. It is honeycombed and has air pockets within it. Please don’t think that it’s only midrange and high frequencies that can cause harm. Low bass frequencies, which cause vibrations, will do the same.

Go out and enjoy yourself and have fun but at the same time be prudent and respect your hearing.
      Michael

PS: further reading is available at:
      https://www.britannica.com/science/ear/Transmission-of-sound-by-bone-conduction

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Well they protect but bass can reach your ears through the bone, just read some posts in this thread

99% of people who is here is suffering from tinnitus. I know how some people feel, when I got tinnitus I stopped with everything that I thought could make a difference, like coffee, some food, drinking, partying and so on. I stopped to living my life and I got a little bit depressed. But guess what? Nothing of this changed the level of my tinnitus, actually it was worse because I thought about my T 24/7 and that I now can't live my life anymore.
      Anywho, there are so many people out there that is going to nightclubs, concerts and so on, even if they have tinnitus. Some of them use earplugs, and some of them don't. I know a few people with tinnitus, and no of them have reacted to the tinnitus like I did. They continued to live their lifes :)

And my personal thoughts about tinnitus and nightclubs:
      Go to nightclubs if you want to, like me. But protect you and don't stay in to loud music to much. One day you maybe get a spike, maybe temporary, maybe permantent. Or you will never get that. No one knows. And your tinnitus can also get worse, even if you avoid nightclubs and stuff like that. BUT I don't want to sit there 58 year old and regret that I didn't did what I wanted to do when I was young. Do what you want to do, but have some respect for it! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When tinnitus was originally caused by "loud noise". By this I mean using headphones at high volume levels or going to places where there are very loud sounds such as: clubs, concerts etc. It is unlikely that the tinnitus will get worse. If a person subjects themselves to further loud noise as mentioned above they risk making the tinnitus worse.

There are people in this forum that developed tinnitus caused by "loud noise" and eventually habituated and the tinnitus remained low. Some of these people returned to using headphones keeping the volume low and the tinnitus increased in severity. It must be said, not everyone with noise induced tinnitus and uses headphones will make their tinnitus worse. However, in my opinion, there is always a risk. Similarly, a person that habituates to tinnitus and it is low (manageable) and goes to clubs even the cinema where sounds levels are high, have regretted doing so as the tinnitus increased in severity and will not reduce in volume.

When tinnitus is severe and intrusive it is ruthless and shows no mercy. I and others in this forum have experienced this and know what we are talking about. Those that choose not to listen to the advice given in this thread will soon learn the error of their ways.

Michael

24. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In the way you talk, it seems really likely that T will get worse if you continue to go out and stuff.

But I just don't understand how it is possible that there are sooo many people AND musicians who still go in loud places and seems fine (or are they not fine and just uesed to severe t?) Can you explain this? Cause I really think sometimes that there is also a psychological factor.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have said my piece on this and won't be commenting further.
      I wish you well.

Michael

26. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I read it all, I was just curious why it seems that for example musicians are not having problems with still performing (or they have and we don't know it )

27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. In other words we are all different. One thing is for sure. The more you expose yourself to loud sounds even with ear protection the greater the risk of the tinnitus becoming worse. The musicians that you talk about most of them have tinnitus. As I've said, it affects each person differently.

I am not trying to frighten you, I am just giving you the facts and advising you to be careful because I don't think you know what you are dealing with. Go out and have a good time as I've said in my post above but be careful of "very loud sounds"

Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    28. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know what I am dealing with, I already have T (who is maybe not even related to sound). And I read the article you send me and I don't really why you send it to me. Your messages are not clear: you say "Go out and have a good time" and "If you go out, you risk to get nightmare-tinnitus".

I will also stop with responsing. Knowing that so many people have T and only 10% do have daily problems with it, I think it is better for me to talk to people with T in real life (because this forum is the 10%). This forum only makes me anxious. And you can say: ''this is the truth", but I don't really know if it really is, when you think about the fact that 90% of the people with T are just living their life happily.

Btw: I don't say that everyone with T should go out, it is your own choice. I am careful too: if it is too loud, I won't stay long (or leave immediately).

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think anxiety is a huge factor with tinnitus, likely why a key part of tinnitus retraining therapy includes counseling. How many other health condition treatments require counseling in order for the patient to get better?

I know many people who have tinnitus and continue to live their lives. Of course the response on here is always "oh well they do not have severe tinnitus" . . . but that is just an assumption. From what they have described to me, it certainly sounds like the typical description used here for severe, loud tinnitus. The only thing not severe is their reaction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are so right. A week ago I talked to a guy I know who have T and still goes out, most of the times without earplugs. I asked him: But when you go home, your T must be louder? He said that it is always pretty loud, but he just doens't listen to it.

That night he used some earplugs at a party and he liked it, so I hope he will use them more :)

• Like Like x 2