I Need Support and Tips — I Developed Tinnitus 3 Months Ago From a Cold

Discussion in 'Support' started by T Bone, Feb 21, 2014.

1. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Hello,

I've developed tinnitus 3 months ago from a cold. It started in one ear and made its way to the other for reason. I have been told that it is all sinus related and it will go away. It is also somatic with jaw clenching, jaw jutting, and neck movements. ( I also went to my dentist and have no tmj). Also I have had four colds since the original one that caused it, the path it has been is it subsides a bit, then I get slapped in the face with another cold and so on. Right now it is very loud mostly in in the ear that wasn't originally effected. I just got off a cold a couple weeks ago. So anyway, I have been going through a very rough time lately, and have been very very depressed, and I just need some support, or some strategies on how to cope with it in the mean time. My family has been very supportive, and have set up a lot of appointments with anxiety/ stress clinics, ENT's etc., but I have to wait a few more weeks until I get in. But regardless I am in a very dark place, and I am so frustrated. I can't concentrate in school or in sports the same way that I did before the tinnitus. I am only 16 and want to live a 16 year olds life, without constantly worrying about the tinnitus, I also have OCD which makes it much harder for me to let things go than others. So if anybody has any tips/ supplements that worked for you to cope with tinnitus, I would love to hear them.

T-Bone

2. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Sorry to hear, that is tough being only 16. The most important thing you should focus on is the the fact that you have been told you a great shot of it going away. I am no expert, only have it for 2 months, I would definetly talk to your parents about this, but anti anxiety/ anti depressants could be something to look into especially since you said you are OCD, they really can help. You need to find a good therapist and if medicine is an option then a good psychiatrist. I am not saying you have to take the med route, I know it is very scary for a lot of people but what you will hear from most everyone hear is you have to get your mental being strong first to deal with the battle. Try to exercise, eat right, take a multi vitamin. I have problems sleeping so if you have that working then you are going in the right direction. I am sure you will get advice from others who got it the way you did. Hang in there man, you have a long life ahead of you, life as you know it will come back, it takes time, I know that sucks because I am 50 and have no patience, I can only imagine being 16! Take care

3. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I've noticed people don't like to suggest medications but xanax was a life saver for me and I still use it I would talk to your doctor about it.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      You are so young and so new to tinnitus. It is understandable that you are going through a tough time like many of us. But many here can tell you that they don't always think in distorted way about the future as when they were when they first got T. Tinnitus can do that to newer sufferers. But eventually we will get better in coping with T and the catastrophic thinking will fade, but this process will take some time. If you don't have hearing loss, who knows your T may just fade or disappear because of your young age. So give it some time and don't worry about it too much. You may want to read up the success stories of this and other forums to get some comfort and hope that many people do get better over time. Take care and take it easy.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Thanks for the replies, billie, I can't help to notice that you are from Vancouver too.