I Think I Have No Baseline! Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Garye, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      I read so often about people's baselines regarding the noise and intrusion levels.

Yet, 3 and a half months later...the cycle just keeps repeating itself over and over,regardless of what I do,or think,asleep or awake.
      A day or two,sometimes more,of intense high noise...and then as if some breaker switch in my head starts to hold again...the noise subsides....usually for a day,sometimes 2 days. By subsides I mean that it virtually disappears! Real silence.....sometimes with a little sparkly electric sound in the background but not overly annoying.

On those good days my sense of being begins to return to me. I start to feel much more relaxed...and positive. The world feels normal again! At first I always thought ...it's gone for good....

Only to wake up with the noise again...and now still hoping everytime that I am mending...but aware of the likelihood that I will have to deal with this again.

So basically I wondering...anyone else who has no real baseline...just from 0-1 to 10 ?
      Sure it hard to get used to!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      It is like living in a parallel universe.

Also...just from my own personal experience so far....nothing alters the cycle. The first 3 months I was super healthy minded and conscious of foods,alcohol, sugers,caffeine. etc

The last 3 weeks I have thrown caution to the wind. Drank some,smoked some,..and no change at all....it goes up...stays up.....and and then goes down....and then up again....

A few days ago my little dog had seizures ,had to go to vet....he's getting better now...but at the time it was very stressful. BUT..my it happened to be one of my good days T-wise....and the stress had NO affect....it had decided that it was a good day regardless.
      Similarly, on what should be a pleasant day.....it decides to try and torment me......
      ?..? So puzzling to me,

3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Man, can I relate to that ...

And yes , My T is all over the place , all the time.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Thanks RaZaH for comment. We share the weirdness of this thing. To me it feels like there is something trying to kick the switch off....but can't keep it off. So hard to explain something as imfathonal.

• Like Like x 1
    5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I can be super stressed with low T and mega chilled with super loud T .
      I can have very little sleep and low T and vice versa , I have come to the conclusion that its just random and its a waste of time to try and find any correlations.

This crap has a mind of its own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Meant to type Unfathomable

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      I guess it's just a natural instinct ,at the beginning, for a curious mind to find some kind of a rational explanation.

• Like Like x 1
    8. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, we are pattern seeking creatures , which makes sense , patterns are essential to "troubleshooting"
      Unfortunately , this does not seem to apply to T . There are literally thousands of posts in this forum where people are making "most likely" false correlations in regards to their T . " I ate a banana and my T went down for 3 minutes etc"

I totally get it , but it seems to be our imagination.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      I can definitely relate to that. I react the same way. The mood is up and down everyday depending on how my T is. Frustrating to say the least. My T is everywhere during a day. And I have no idea what my baseline really is. Many here on the forum says that multiple fluctuating sounds usually settles within a year. This doesn't apply to all people I'm afraid but it's still hope. Hang in there buddy!

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      3 years for me , still all over the place.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Totally agree with you ! Imagination and perception plays a big role, it seems. That's why I have been trying different things.....and now realize more and more that in my (our) case it makes no difference!
      Something physically ,somewhere in or between the ear and brain,doesn't work right anymore.

12. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I dont think its random, but its just complex and too many variables. Thus it appears to be random

13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :) Nothing is actually random (and I mean that in a purely mechanical sense, not a spiritual one).

Extremely cyclical tinnitus sounds like it's a reflection of some underlying organic process; it would be very interesting if you could do something like get a GC/MS analysis of your blood every day to look for variations in stuff like hormone and nutrient levels, hydration, etc. Unfortunately that's not really possible yet; at some point there will be consumer technology to enable that kind of thing, like a FitBit for your blood.

What I mean is, if your tinnitus follows a regular pattern, if you were able to look with enough detail at what's going on inside your body, you would probably find some other thing which also adheres to the same pattern. But, even if you knew exactly what it was, there is no guarantee you'd be able to impact it one way or the other.

14. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, random for all intents and purposes . :p

15. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Mine has started cycling in the last 8 weeks. One-two says low volume followed by a louder day. Pretty consistent here with that. It also fluctuates during the day sometimes too and is reactive to noise. Been going on 3 months now.

16. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      They say that the heart of nature is random (quantum mechanics). So in a sense, it is actually radnom, but the randomness is less appearent and almost vanishes in macroscopic systems.

17. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I have a phrase I have thought-up called "2nd tier habituation". The first tier is to be able to habituate to a constant tone(s); that's what people natrually do(and I think most people suppose they need constant tones in order to habituate) The 2nd tier is to habituate to a changing pattern--that is to say, when you hear a series of strange changes in T(especially if they are changes that are in a set pattern[maybe set pattern is tier 2, and completely unpredictable T is tier 3]), your mind just says, "oh, that? Yeah that's just my tinnitus changing levels; no big deal. It isn't a threat, and won't hurt me"
      I'm not saying I have fully acheived it yet, or that my T is as bad as others, but I experience changes in sensations and sounds alot, and it used to freak me out, but I am making progress in this kind of habituation. I think categorizing the goal a little more accurately, might give someone a little extra boost in their ability.
      I wish you guys the best in your progress.

18. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Same here. No pattern whatsoever to perception of volume (giving a nod to TRT here), no pattern to where in my head it will appear, no pattern as to what sound it will generate, no pattern as to how reactive it will be, and no pattern as to how many times in the night it will awaken me.

I'm a bit of a control freak. Needless to say this lack of any pattern whatsoever makes it very difficult for me to schedule things in my life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish for you, a freakish, stone-cold, mind that can fix an iron-curtain between you and that mess, Cheza. Chuck-Norris level habituation: the final tier. And I'm sure my religiosity is getting annoying, but I even pray you'll have it.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      In 21 months, I've had low days, high days, changes in pitch multiple times a day. Seconds it's silent. Feelings of having something crawling around in my inner ear. Reactions to noise. Weird pulsing sensations, after getting out of my car, that last 15 minutes or so. Hours where I can hardly hear it and days where I can't believe my head could make so much noise, etc., etc., etc.

Baseline, at the moment, is a random and unpredictable event. I could only wish for a steady and predictable baseline. I guess most of us would.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I always appreciate prayers. To me, it's positive energy going out. It isn't important whether there is a deity to receive it or the consciousness of the Universe. It's the kindness of the intention that matters.

22. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Mine is all over the place. It can be really disappointing when it comes back full blast...I'm finding that if I have quiet moments, it pays not to relish them too much...the dreaded ringing can strike at any time and last for days...best to just ride the wave!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    24. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @RaZaH,

Some of my favorite basslines are:

Jaco pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Steve Rodby, Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, Charles Mingus, Victor Wooten, Geezer Butler, Jimmy Haslip, Paul McCartney, Cliff Burton & John Entwistle.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stuart Hamm and Billy Sheehan

26. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Mine is very variable too. Sometimes I think it's spinal related, other times ETD, other times unknown.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Lol These are better baselines for sure.

• Like Like x 1