I Was Habituated β€” Nine Years Later, Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Headaches and Ear Pain Are Back

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by aura, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tinnitus is quite random. I also have a bad day with it, coupled with hyperacusis and hearing loss. Today this is so bad... for no reason I seem to hear worse and tinnitus has been awful the whole day.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      This literally just happened to me today... after 6 months too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have some not-so-good news...

I'm just trying to keep it together but it's very hard.

This morning, out of the blue, I've experienced a new type of tinnitus.

Actually this is the second time (the first time it happened was back in the summer) but this time it was more intense.

It was like the fleeting tinnitus (all of a sudden and very loud) but not the classic "eeeee". It was a static walkie talkie noise.

This is the loudest and strangest form of tinnitus I've ever had.
      It's not something to live with. It was like having a walkie talkie next to my ear.

I panicked big time. I was expecting it to fade away in a few seconds, like the fleeting tinnitus, but it didn't. It lasted for about 40-45 minutes.

I have never been so scared in my life. I was shaking, feeling dizzy, ear muffed, and called my husband.

He came back in a rush from work and stayed with me for the rest of the day.

I'm not feeling good at all now. I'm having a tinnitus spike, all my old sounds gone mad and I'm very scared that it could happen again and this time for good.

What is this?! Has anyone ever had something similar?
      It felt like my "good ear" was completely broken.

I know my old sounds, they can be low, they can be high, but they didn't come all of a sudden. They just happened... in time.

What could cause something like that?!
      What should I do from now on?!

Is this a sign that the disease is progressing?

Is this something normal? Because fleeting tinnitus, as scary and strange as it may seem, is considered to be normal.

I'm sorry for my English. I literally feel like I'm retarded now.

I'll live you this link for those who dare to listen. This is how it sounded.

Walkie Talkies Static Sound Effect

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Fleeting tinnitus can last for a really long time; nothing to worry about. See thread below for examples - someone else described it as the ear sounding 'broken' too.

Long Lasting Fleeting Tinnitus | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus isn't a disease, so it doesn't 'progress'. (Not denying that it can fluctuate/worsen, but it doesn't progressively get worse like a degenerative disease does).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I've been doing my best to avoid medication. When my spike first hit, I did get some Trazodone but I'm very uncomfortable with taking it long term. The pill that worked best was a single over the counter sleep aid. I've only taken it once during this recent episode (on my third week). The first week, sleep was nonexistent. Adding a pink noise generator has allowed me to get some sleep but it's still a battle. I wake up frequently either due to the tinnitus, anxiety or my middle aged bladder and falling back to sleep is a challenge. I have been taking a small dose of Melatonin in lieu of the Trazodone and sleep aid. I was under the impression that Melatonin was relatively safe. At this point, I think it's probably placebo for me (only 2mg).

In any event, what side effects are you concerned about with Melatonin?

6. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      My fleeting symptoms have been consistently inconsistent for years. I agree that it's scary because you never know if or when it's going to subside. They almost always pass within a few to 30 seconds. I did have one session that lasted several hours and that put me into panic mode. It did eventually subside although I wonder whether that was a warning cry from my body. I ignored it at the time but in retrospect I probably should have given it more serious thought. I would not try to make too much sense of tinnitus because there just is no rhyme or reason.

This too shall pass. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @aura, was it your good ear this summer too...? Did it last long back then?

If you woke up with the sound I would try do something different tonight..

Sorry aura, awful... :(

Hugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Yeah, I should have elaborated more what I meant in my post. I think we should be very careful with regards to side effects when it comes to antihistamines (like Hydroxyzine), antidepressants or benzodiazepines, but Melatonin should be very safe. The only reason it made it into my "fear of side effects"-list on the post were that I believe there are studies (which I don't have references to here and now) that states that we shouldn't use Melatonin for too long periods. I think the brain needs to produce it naturally sometimes, or otherwise it won't be good, but don't quote me on that.

If you're having trouble sleeping, I'd recommend at least trying Melatonin. It seems to work when I use it sporadically, but not very much in many consecutive days. I also sleep really well with Hydroxyzine (even better with it combined with Melatonin), but I took it for 7 consecutive days one time and it may have caused a worsening, but I'm not sure. I've used both Hydroxyzine and Melatonin combined sporadically in the recent months with good results and no side effects.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 3
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The same ear, the good one, the same sound (only this time it was much louder and I could hear it very clear, it wasn't like anything I've experienced till now). It lasted for about 40 minutes both times.

It was scary because it wasn't something I was used to.

I approach even my loudest "eeeee" with the "been there, done that" attitude. But this was something else.

It started with an "eee" sound and suddenly transformed into a static noise.

But not a soft one.

It was similar to the sensation you feel before passing out (ears get muffed, the hearing is somehow affected and the sound is very intense, clear and profound.)

It was so acute, persistent, loud and disturbing.

Maybe if I knew that this is a type of fleeting tinnitus that comes and goes, I wouldn't have made such a big deal about it.

But I'm scared that this is a sign that my "good ear" is dysfunctional too.

And the thought of it being permanent... I'm telling you here and now that there is no way you can live with something like that.

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thanks for the explanation. I have read the same about Melatonin and long term use but the articles seem to say it's largely because it hasn't been tested on a long term basis. I've been using Melatonin and Valerian to sleep. I find it helps me get to sleep but staying asleep is a different issue.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. buttercake

buttercake Guest

@aura, I experienced one long lasting (~60 minutes) episode of fleeting tinnitus back in April. It was ten-fold my usual tinnitus, a dentist drill type of sound; it happened suddenly after I woke up. I had a train of confusing thoughts but the most prominent was, of course, "there's absolutely no way I will not terminate my existence if this lasts more than a day". Thank god it fade completely after one hour or so and never came back.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    12. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Same here. It was downright terrifying and I agree with you, faced with a choice of life or death, death was looking good. Thankfully it was gone by 3am but those experiences are not fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My daughter is such a good girl. Always hugging me, putting her little hands over my ears, reading to me every night, telling me that I am the best mom in the whole world...

I was telling her the other day about her grandfather who also has tinnitus (he worked in a very loud factory when he was young). It took him about 30-40 years to fully habituate.

She tried to encourage me saying that if I take my drugs, protect myself from loud sounds and, of course, with her support I will be better in 5 or 6 years! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    14. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Be careful not to tell a little child too much about your health issues and mental struggles. They are not equipped to be your therapists and it can cause them lasting trauma.

She does seem sweet tho. :)

• Like Like x 1
    15. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      @aura, your daughter is correct. 5 or 6 years from now there has to be something in medicine that helps us :) it's good to talk to her about tinnitus problems so she can be protective and avoid this terror.

Just be careful not to show her some anxiety attack or depression because this traumatizes the children.

I wish you all the best :)

• Like Like x 1
    16. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I have to respectfully disagree re traumatising children. Ill mental health is not something you can take off like a hat when in the presence of your child, and children are incredibly perceptive - the more you try to hide it from them, the more they will become anxious because they don't understand what is happening.

I had a parent who struggled with their mental health, but they never explained it to me so I always felt that when they lost their temper or were uncommunicative and sad it was my fault. That is traumatic for a child.

As long as the communication is positive and you explain that you are working on getting better again, they will remain confident and it will probably be beneficial for them in understanding their own mental health better.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Update.

This is the worst situation. I have never been so scared in my life.

I can barely talk, I can barely write, but I want to tell you what is happening, hoping that one day, when I feel better, I will read this and smile.

Last night I went to bed and fell asleep. Then, a loud, intrusive "eeeeee" and waves of dizziness woke me up.

This is not the first time I'm experiencing these symptoms. Back in January, I couldn't sleep normally for 2 months because of the headaches and waves of dizziness that constantly woke me up.

This time is worse, because it's not only dizziness I'm experiencing but also "waves" of intrusive tinnitus. It's either a loud "eeeee" similar to a crystal glass sound effect in my ear and my brain, or interrupted, like a morse code. It's constantly changing.

I also hear a loud hissing in both of my ears and brain, bursts of extremely high pitched tinnitus, a rattlesnake sound and some musical tones, especially in my bad ear, but they also migrate to my good ear. My ears feel full and I have a moderate pain in my head and ears.

Each time I fell asleep these waves of tinnitus and dizziness woke me up. This happened all night long.

Usually, tinnitus doesn't bother me in my sleep. Right before falling asleep I feel it fading away and then I sleep for the rest of the night, even if I have nightmares.

The intrusive "eeeee" stayed for the rest of the day, with or without other sounds. I can't explain what is in my head, it's too much for me to bare.

In my opinion, something is very wrong with my ears. I don't know what happened, but stress and anxiety alone can't do such a thing to my ears/brain.

Another thing is that the sounds (not all of them) are distorted, in a way that I hear them interrupted, like a morse code. When I hear my fridge running, it's not a constant, fluid sound but a morse code sound. Same in the shower.

I also have a static, walkie talkie sound in both of my ears.

I can hear them all in the same time and they got me insane. I can't mask them (that crystal sound and morse code are also in my brain and other sounds seem to amplify them).

I can't even begin to tell you about my anxiety level.

I will take a Clonazepam tonight. If it doesn't help me, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm feeling like I'm floating in a nightmare.

In my opinion, this is not a spike. A spike comes in certain condition.

I didn't do anything special in the past few days.

This is something acute. Something is happening to my ears and I still don't know why.

Yes, anxiety and stress amplifies it, but it's not the source of this nightmare.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Exit

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry about everything @aura...

I’m not great either...

I often get the wine glass sound very loud when I lie down. So if I wake up after 3 hours it’s very difficult getting back to sleep. If my back and neighbours were normal I would definitely go back to sleeping 30 degree angle on my couch because I know my ears react bad to lying down. The iii gets loud instantly if I lay my good ear down in bed, so it’s related to lying down.

I hope you have some noise on during nights.

The distortions are just simply your tinnitus mixing awful with running water, fans, engines, etc...

I have 13 noises, eee, iii and static doesn’t have jumpy elements so they don’t β€œdistort”.

My morse code/phone beepy ringtone β€œdistort” engines and running water. If I don’t have morse code before showering I don’t distort there.

Hugs to you.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MΓ©niΓ¨re’s disease
      Klonopin caused what you are describing for me.

• Hug Hug x 3
    20. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Sorry @aura and @Exit. That sounds really rough. Hopefully like you said you can turn a corner and be ok soon.

As for the anxiety part, I went through constant panic and terror daily for years and it messed me up bad. I could just think a bad thought and be in extreme pain. The brain when conditioned is very powerful, good and bad.

Not saying anxiety is causing you guys your problems, just saying it doesn’t help for sure as you mentioned.

The brain is definitely going haywire with this condition, constant state of alert, bad sleep, anxiety. All are a bad combo.

Wish you relief soon, sending hugs and prayers your way even if you don’t believe in them.

• Like Like x 3
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I woke up 1 hour after taking 0.5 mg Clonazepam. The sounds in my head are from hell. I am shaking, I am very sick. I took 7.5 mg Mirtazapine.

Please help me. I feel very, very bad. I am desperate. My body doesn't know how to sleep anymore. I don't know what to do from this point. The sounds in my ears are getting worse.

• Hug Hug x 5
    22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Sounds about right...

• Like Like x 1
    23. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Are the meds maybe making tinnitus worse? Then causing an anxiety cycle…

Just spit balling.

• Like Like x 3
    24. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      I am really sorry @aura.

I wish I could help you.

Me too, I have been awake almost all night, I just had a crying crisis and woke up all my family :cry: :banghead:

A great hug :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Exit

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’m getting worse too, sitting in a different house today, big difference from 2 months ago... :/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Sorry to hear that, I think it's a vicious circle, because the body needs to sleep. Many people out there are worse because of lack of sleep.

Maybe a neurologist or a psychiatrist can help you escape this horrible circle.

Many hugs, I wish I could help more.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Update.

After taking the Mirtazapine, I managed to fall asleep.

It was difficult because I have a strange reaction when I take it (I feel like I'm drunk but at the same time the body is restless and I feel like I have to move all the time).

Anyway I managed to sleep for many hours (9-10 hours) and that helped me a lot, even though I felt dizzy the whole day after.

Dizzy, but happy. Because my tinnitus was almost gone.

Yes, it's true and it's possible. I felt like one year ago, when I was a normal person. I could still hear a faint sound (when sitting in complete silence) but the intrusive "eeeeee" was GONE.

I can't even begin to describe the feeling. It was MAGIC. Everything was so... easy. Living like this is so easy. Feeling good and normal. Do you remember how it's like?

I did nothing for the rest of the day... I just enjoyed the most beautiful day of my life.

I was still dizzy because of the Mirtazapine and the next night I managed to sleep very good only with one pill of Melatonin.

In the morning I stayed in bed for another hour, enjoying the silence.

Do you remember those mornings when you don't get out of bed right away but stay for a couple of minutes and just... feel good? I didn't remember them. They seemed to be from another life.

After that, I had my very first therapy session with my psychiatrist, I went to work and... the magic was gone.

Just like Cinderella, I got my old and ugly clothes back. First a loud "eeeee" like a fleeting tinnitus that lasted for half an hour, only to appear later on and this time for real.

I got all the old, intrusive sounds back. The loud "eeeeee", the morse code "eeeeee", the crystal glass sound, the loud hissing, the hyperacusis, everything and more. Back to square 1.

You know... I asked for a day or two just to catch my breath and I got them... but it feels even more difficult now.

I feel like I'm floating in a nightmare.

I hate myself. I hate myself because I am not strong, because I can't overcome this, because I'm not able to take care for my daughter and my family anymore. I just sit in bed all day, crying, with the pillow on my head, in my own world.

I think the first step to recovery is acceptance. I accept the fact that I'm getting worse and that I can't fight by myself. I accept the fact that I need help.

I am scared that I won't be able to win this battle. I am not even scared for me, I am scared for my little girl. She is all I'm thinking about.

I have a lot of questions.

How is it possible for my tinnitus to go away for 2 days? Did the meds help? Was it all because I managed to get some proper sleep? Is this a good sign, a sign that maybe there is still some hope left for me?

• Hug Hug x 4
    28. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @aura in my opinion your tinnitus is all stress related. When you went back to work, all the bad sounds you're hearing came back.

Normally tinnitus doesn't work like that.

Take a sick leave from work and go enjoy your life stress-free. The annoying part of your tinnitus will go away. And speak to your psychiatrist, keep taking the Mirtazapine. And sleep a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aura

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wish it would be just stress related, but the ENT did find some problems...

30. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I wonder if the booster shot messed you up.