Idebenone / Ubiquinone (CoQ10) / Ubiquinol for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Leo1994, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Idebenone is a drug that was initially developed by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease and other cognitive defects.[1] This has been met with limited success. The Swiss company Santhera Pharmaceuticals has started to investigate it for the treatment of neuromuscular diseases. As of May 2010, early clinical trials for the treatment of Friedreich's ataxia[2] and Duchenne muscular dystrophy[3] have been completed. Chemically, idebenone is an organic compound of the quinone family. It is also promoted commercially as a synthetic analog of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Nerve growth stimulation and brain cell protection

Nerves are necessary to the foundation of brain communication and their degeneracy, under performance, or lacking can have disastrous results on brain functions. Antioxidants may prevent oxidative stress and cell death, therefore exerting a neuroprotective effect.​

Won't this help against tinnitus? Anyone know more about this drug?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi Leo,

there have been quite a few studies on compounds used both to try and treat alzheimer and tinnitus, nothing is out today but maybe in a few years (ex: autifony, etc)

3. daman558
      Haunting

daman558 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I was recently prescribed this for my tinnitus by a hollistic MD. I did some background research on it since one bottle was 60 USD. Found a somewhat interesting clinical trial conducted on it. Tried to insert the link but unable to paste onto this post from my phone for some reason. Anyways if you google it you'll see what im talking about :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Attached is a study finding that for individuals deficient in the coenzyme, CoQ10 can reduce tinnitus. -Golly

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    5. Gary Miles

Gary Miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2000
      Hi, I started a course yesterday having read the above research. Its a bit matter of fact but the headline for me is that it helped over 30% in the trial! Please note that I haven't been tested for coQ10 levels so I am taking a punt. The stuff is hellishly expensive here in Spain. I paid 89€ for 90 100mg capsules. You can get it cheaper on Amazon.

Now my tinnitus goes up and down but seems to have got worse recently and am desperate for some relief. After two days of taking the supplement I do feel better. I might be imagining it and it may get worse again but it SEEMS a bit better. I will keep the forums posted.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have been taking CoQ10 for about a year and a half. Not sure it is helping or not but the research is positive on this. I still have tinnitus.

The only thing I will say about CoQ10 and other supplements is if you are using or plan to use supplements on a regular basis, get a $36 a year subscription to Consumerlab. Supplements are not regulated in the USA and Consumerlab independently tests supplements for purity and harmful ingredients. They also analyze the data around what the supplement is claimed to do, if the data is sound or not, compare costs. etc. They tests supplements monthly, have a existing large test database of every major supplement and routinely discover some supplements whose labels do not match the ingredients or have extra ingredients like lead in them. For those who buy Swanson brand vitamins online from Swansonvitamins.com, they almost always test high and amongst the best for purity and great low prices.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Gary Miles

Gary Miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2000
      OK two weeks in to taking CoQ10 now and I do still feel better. I would say that my T is 20% less intrusive than before. That 20% to me is the difference between misery and a normal life.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      What doses of CoQ10 are you guys taking? The pilot study I reference in post #4 examines the effect of 300mg/day on chronic tinnitus.

According to the Encyclopedia article on ConsumerLab, typical recommended doses of CoQ10 lie in the range of 30mg to 300mg per day. So, the pilot study involves the upper end of what is normally prescribed. (Note that in the case of Parkinson's Disease, substantially higher doses have been considered.)

According to the ConsumerLab article, "In general, CoQ10 appears to be extremely safe. No significant side effects have been found, even in studies that lasted a year. However, people with severe heart disease should not take CoQ10 (or any other supplement) except under a doctor's supervision."

-Golly

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Golly thought I'll let you know yesterday I started taking CoQ10 too.
      I'll let you know in a week's time if it made any difference. Karen takes it too.

10. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I'll be taking 300 mg everyday.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Thanks @Sherri786. I have my fingers crossed for you!

-Golly

12. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      Any updates guys? Im interested in this

13. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Anybody else tried CoQ10 lately or have anything to say about it? I'm thinking of throwing a new supplement into my current mix of B-complex (a formulate that includes zinc), magnesium and fish oil, and CoQ10 sounds relatively safe.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      CoQ10 May Combat Chronic Tinnitus
      jan2012_In-The-News_08.jpg
      A recent study by German scientists sought to determine the short-term effects of coenzyme Q10 on tinnitus expression in patients with chronic tinnitus aurium.* Chronic tinnitus is often simply described as an unexplained buzzing or ringing inside a person's ear, when there is no cause for the noise from an external source.

The scientists performed a 16-week clinical trial comparing the presence of tinnitus with CoQ10 levels and total antioxidant status in individuals. The participants were then evaluated using a TQ score, which is a questionnaire designed to measure a person's level of experiencing tinnitus.

In a subgroup of 7 patients with low initial CoQ10 concentration in their system and significant increase in the CoQ10 level following the trial, a clear decrease in the TQ score was observed. The scientists concluded that in patients with a low plasma CoQ10 concentration, CoQ10 supply may decrease the tinnitus expression.

- J. Finkel

Reference
      * Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Jan;136(1):72-7.

15. Rod McDonald

Rod McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2012
      I am taking this here in China. I notice I have been sleeping a bit better and my ability to cope with tinnitus has improved, although the actual noise is the same. I am really not sure if the ability to sleep better is due to the drug or meditation I have been doing. I'm taking 30mg three times a day.

• Like Like x 1