If You Have Even a Slight Hint of Suspicion That Your Tinnitus Is Noise Induced Don't EVER Do an MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by Arseny, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Don't ever take your tinnitus for granted. If you can tolerate it or habituate to it, please stop for a moment and try to appreciate all the good things that you have in life, because you never know what the next day might bring.
      My tinnitus was tolerable before. It was moderate, it started very gradually within couple of days in early October and then jumped up in volume within one day. The reason behind it is still unknown. It maybe vascular, from neck misalignment, ETD from allergies, hereditary (my father and my uncle have it too, but it's mild to moderate), strict diet, a lot of stress, ototoxicity from antibiotics or cumulative noise exposure from headphones and motorcycles or everything mixed together.

After spending loads of money on useless doctors who didn't care about my situation they convinced me to do a brain MRI to rule out high intracranial pressure, any brain tumors and acoustic neuroma, because my tinnitus was unilateral and I had problems with blood flow in my neck.

This MRI test was the biggest mistake in my life. People do a lot of stupid things and I've done my fair share, but I don't think I'll live long enough to do anything more stupid than this. I used both earplugs and earmuffs and the test itself was less than 15 minutes plus the machine itself was one of the quietest out there (under 99 db), but the volume of my tinnitus increased at least 2-3 times and at this point it's unbearable. The next day when I was coming back to my apartment I started hearing it outdoors. That was the moment I knew I messed up big time.

Now my tinnitus is quite severe. I rate at 70 on Tinnitus Handicap Inventory. It's super high pitch and intrusive and I can hear it outside in the center of city. It's not about the volume, but the nature of the sound is so merciless that it makes me think of suicide every day. If I don't log on this forum it's because I'm either cured or I have killed myself. I had depression and suicidal ideation before, but it was nothing compared to this.
      I'm struggling immensely. I still have treatment options left including HBOT and some promising nerve restoring injections, but I'm struggling to get through the day and I have to wait at least 20 days to finish the treatment. And the treatment itself might show results within next 3 months. I don't know how long I can endure this suffering.

I'm starting HBOT, and new injections tomorrow with hope that it can cure me or at least lower the volume to the point that I don't hear it over my computer fan. I heard so many positive things about this treatment, but I don't know what's ahead of me.

I have damaged my knee a few years ago doing sports and now I have chronic pain and I'm forbidden to run for the rest of my life. The pain is about 5-6/10. It's definitely there and I can feel it's presence throughout the day. I feel absolutely zero distress about it. It's not even bothering me at this point. I guess you could say I have habituated to it. The prognosis is that I'll probably have to a surgery to replace it within next 10 years or go for a stem cell treatment. Yet I'm unfazed by it, because I know there are options out there to fix this problem.

I cannot say that I'm unfazed about my tinnitus. I've spent weeks searching on internet and I'm in horrible mental state, because I understand that within one month after the onset 4 different doctors misdiagnosed me and prescribed me bogus treatment that only cured my pulsatile tinnitus that was inaudible unless I'm in absolute silence.

Today by pure luck after spending obscene amount of money I have finally found a doctor who understands my situation, because she had tinnitus before too.
      She's shocked that previous ENTs and neurologists never suggested steroids, special medications that are used to alleviate nerve and brain damage and HBOT. She said that if I was diagnosed correctly in the first place and prescribed adequate treatment I would be probably cured completely at this point. Now it's been about 8 weeks from my onset and only now she has put me on more or less correct treatment. I'm also considering intratympanic dexamethasone injections, but it's seems that it's too late for that. She says that I must do everything within my power in the next month, because I still have potential to treat and overcome this. I hope she's right.

As I'm writing this I'm crying hysterically. I don't know what to do and what to think. People say it gets better within 3-6-24 months. It seems like it only got worse since the MRI spike and I didn't have any additional noise exposure. I go out in earmuffs every time. I'm getting tested for B12 and Iron deficiency tomorrow + X ray and CT scan of my neck.

I've been journaling the level of my tinnitus and it seems to be spreading to my other ear. Steroids completely fixed the fluttering and feeling of pressure on my eardrum, but the hissing noise only increased since then.
      At this point I'm not even sure my tinnitus has been caused my noise exposure, because I have so many other possible causes including ETD due to my chronic allergies and inflammations.

Psychiatrist is offering me anti anxiety medication or benzos. This is a joke, because they only calm me down. The volume stays the same, the suffering stays the same, I just feel like a zombie that wants this extremely loud tea kettle to stop whistling away in my left ear.

What kills me the most is the thought about my parents. They did everything they could to raise a decent person and give me a chance to have a good life. They have struggled through poverty and sacrificed so much to give their only child a hope for a bright future. And now I feel like everything that they have worked for has been demolished within 2 months for some unknown reason and stupid heartless doctors that didn't even try to diagnose me correctly. The first doctor diagnosed me with auditory nerve damage when I had conductive hearing loss 35 db at 8000 hz and perfect hearing though the bone. What a joke. She should have her medical license revoked. After a month of getting bogus treatments my hearing through the bone dipped down 10 db. I'm total shock and I don't know what to do.

I WANT TO LIVE. I want to have a good life, I want to lead a life that my parents always wanted me to. I want to start a family and have children. But at this point I'm not sure what's out there for me. I still have some hope left. I'll try to hold on to it.

• Hug Hug x 16
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sorry to hear about your T increase. I know its not easy. Stay optimistic that it will reduce since it has been less than 6 months.

There is a "silent" MRI by GE that is supposed to measure at 77 Db, but the image quality suffers though. With double protection this "silent" MRI should be "safe".

I know this doesn't help your situation, but it might help anyone else who comes to this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      These hearing disorders are truly unforgiving. There is not room for human error. The moment we trip or fall, tinnitus and hyperacusis are ready to jump at us. No one is getting out of here without a mistake whether through misfortune, ignorance, or stupidity (which all of us have moments of). Or even by misjudgment.

Now is the time to consider that everyone's experience is different. A lot of members on here will claim certain sounds or activities are safe because they, themselves, had no issues. This is not helpful and perhaps even dangerous, I see now. Everyone's ears have differing degrees of fragility.

I believe these kinds of posts are made to calm down anxiety which makes our problems worse. But often there is a precedence to be anxious when we keep getting burned. There is a, in my opinion unfair, expectation to be vigilant yet somehow not anxious or stressed.

The truth is, when someone makes a "Help I'm spiking" post there is nothing that can be said or done. Because you are not me and I am not you. Our ears are different. If you often find people are fearful of certain noises or scenarios to be ridiculous then your T may be more stable than others. But when 2 in every 5 of T sufferers have H, it's actually not ludicrous to consider some frequencies could potentially damage different people.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I did have one and it was okay. Sorry to hear about your experience.

• Like Like x 1
    5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      So sorry you at going through this,, life can be so cruel and unforgiving... I really hope you reconsider your suicidal tendencies and give your ears time to heal. Wishing you the best in this moment

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Tagging @Telis here so he can chime in if he wants, he had a very similar experience recently.

7. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Things will get better. I have had tinnitus for six years now and I had horrible setbacks in the first two years - mainly related to noise exposure incidents. But here I am six years later and have completely habituated. I am very careful about noise exposure and you are right to be so too but try not to wear earplugs too much as it can make things worse. Good luck with the HBOT - I haven't had it so can't comment but hopefully this will help too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Me too, I already had severe tinnitus (so I thought) for 5 years now. The machine I was in was 117 dB, wore only plugs (not inserted properly). On the phone they told me they would have muffs, but when I got there they didn’t. I was rushed, I knew I didn’t have the plugs in correctly, the tech was irritated and wanted to get going. It was by far the loudest thing I have ever experienced, I almost stopped it so many times but for some stupid reason I pushed through trying to be tough, my scan was about 40 min.

I got out and was close to deaf, I could barely hear the tech, every sound I did hear was distorted and beeping. My hearing is ruined, my tinnitus is out of control, I haven’t slept more than a couple of hours a night for three month since. When I do sleep I’m dreaming of being trapped inside that machine with that noise, or my tinnitus wakes me shortly after I fall asleep every time. I’m totally traumatized suffering ptsd, and still in complete shock, I almost don’t feel like it could of happened after 5 years of battling what I thought was severe tinnitus, it’s surreal. I’m going though onset all over again, but this time is far worse than the first time, and the first time was hell.

I have zero interest in living like this, but no way out. My tinnitus was very severe before, I didn’t know it could get this loud to be honest, it’s painful, my entire head screams, no one could live normally like this, I don’t care what they say, the sounds are harsh, and seem to scrape my brain. I have a migraine 24 7, I can’t see properly anymore, I don’t know if that a lack of sleep or what. I can’t see the clock on the nightstand on the opposite side of the bed I sleep, it was crystal clear prior to this.

Even no tinnitus, I don’t think many people can imagine being so tired for this long and NEVER relaxing, my eyes are closing while i am standing, i go to lay down to pass out and can’t. It makes me sick and weak. I was really good with sleeping with loud tinnitus prior, not this, I’ve tried everything, even benzos do nothing, I still wake up terrorized shortly after falling asleep.

If you were wearing double protection, plus a quiet machine, I would imagine this would be temporary and things will improve. I’ve been around power tools many times at 100db with only muffs, no issue at all. Good luck

• Hug Hug x 8
    9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Holy shit....

I am so sorry this happened to you. I feel physically sick reading your story and wish there was something I could do to help you. There is mutebutton coming out soon, which may be able to provide some relief for you.

I can't believe that a 117 Db noise level MRI is even legal. Did you test the noise level yourself? With ear plugs at a 32 Db rating (which would really be around 20 Db protection) you would be around 97 Db which in normal people cause permanent damage after 15-30 min.

I really wish things will get better for you in the future.

I don't mean to be rude or anything in case you have tried this, but have you tried doing CBT or other drugs to help with sleep?

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks. One if the other members kindly looked up the make model of the unit I was in. I asked the tech at the time, she said it was really loud, like that helps. If these people are not handing out muffs they are going to have a lot of these situations, even for folks with healthy ears.

I haven’t tried cbt, I’m quite a mellow person, I have meditated for years, this was my go to for my tinnitus in the past. I’m a veteran when it comes to sleep with a smoke detector running in my brain. I was close to being able to live a decent life with my old tinnitus, things calmed down, I was good with it for the first time after almost 5 years, and then this. I thought I was going to make it, I refuse to live like this, there is just no way. Things have to calm down it I will be forced out, but unfortunately not even a fluctuation, just raging noise and ear/head pain and pressure.

I ended up in that machine because of shingles, plus spine nerve pain to the point that I couldn’t walk, I still have but things are improving in that way, it was all nothing compared to my head exploding 24 7. I should have never taken the risk, I don’t know what I was thinking. My original tinnitus has given me so many health issues from the stress, prior to tinnitus I was the picture of health, I believe tinnitus put me in that machine, and now this, just a snowball of hell.

• Hug Hug x 4
    11. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am really sorry to hear that. Hopefully things do get better for you soon!

My two cents (as worthless as it is) would maybe be to see a psychiatrist who might be able to help with the sleep / anxiety (PTSD) regarding your tinnitus. I know it will not lower the sound, but might help with the sleep.

12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I honestly can’t see sleeping with it this loud, i have my phone under my pillow blasting crickets, plus external speakers as well. I can’t even sit and take it, it’s painful. It’s the piercing tinnitus noise, if the noise went away, I wouldn’t have nightmares about the mri machine, the noise wakes me up every time I drift off. And the pain, I guess the pain from the injury is just going to linger in my ears.

The first time I had tinnitus, I paid 180 per hour, 5 hours a week to see a shrink. I honestly can’t even remember what she told me, it was all so useless. She really couldn’t comprehend tinnitus, it was just me sitting educating her, and trying to explain that it had nothing to do with my childhood. She kept thinking that I had some kind of mental issue, and not a physical problem.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, maybe things can’t stay this bad, I find it tough to believe that the brain can stay in this state forever, I mean things change. I have nerve damage in my back slowly calming down, at one point I couldn’t touch it, it was like I had blow torch on my back, now after 6 months it’s down to feeling like I have a sun burn. My original tinnitus calmed after years, ill give it some time, if nothing changes I’m not going to take this constant bullying forever. Sometimes a person has to walk away from a abusive relationship.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really do hope the best for you. Breaks my heart to hear your story. Please hang on until we can try the mutebutton device. It may be able to help you!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Everyone in my family is offering me support, but they can't take away my pain. People say that you can habituate to the tinnitus. I do agree with them, because now I know for a fact that my previous moderate tinnitus was nothing compared to this.
      I still can't accept the reality. I should have done nothing about my tinnitus and just stayed at home. But I decided to fix it, got freaked out that I might have pinched some nerve in my neck. My uncle had similar symptoms as me and his condition was critical, because he didn't seek help right away.
      So I decided figure out what's wrong with me. LATER I DISCOVERED THERE WAS NOTHING LIFE THREATENING. I probably had milld to moderate tinnitus from antibiotics or videogames in headphones.
      I touched the hornets nest and got burned. I think there's a statistic out there somewhere that you have a pretty good chance to get worse or end up dead by seeking medical help in hospitals. It's scary. I never thought that it can get so real.

I've read the story of @Telis and I'm speechless. I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say.
      I have constant migraines now too. I only had them 4 times in my life before an MRI. In fact I think it's the main culprit that's causing this torture. Yes I can hear the sound of tinnitus, but it feels like it's physically electrocuting left side of my brain. I never focus on the pain, because I tolerate pain well in general, but now that I think about I would rate my migrane at 6/10. I've had a few moments when I didn't feel electrocuted and I can say that without migrane the tinnitus is just a wind in my head. I don't know what's happening, maybe it's a weird form of hyperacusis. I feel like my brain is on fire.
      I think I'll try intravenous lidocaine at this point just to give myself a day off from this hell and consider my options moving forward.

I'm very sorry that you're experiencing problems with your eyesight. I've noticed that I started getting grey hairs in my beard this month and I can't focus on any task longer for 30 seconds. I'm only 22 years old. I lost a lot of weight and at this point I'm underweight at 127 pounds and 6 feet tall.

Thank you for your reassurance @Telis. I today I spoke with a lady who had a brain MRI too in similar machine for an HOUR and her tinnitus didn't get any worse. She has hearing loss, so it's not vascular or physiological.
      I hope I can recover from this, there's still hope. I will be praying for you too @Telis. Maybe MuteButton will really work.

I have found another doctor today, he thinks it's too late to do intratympanic Dexamethasone injections at this point and they may aggravate my current situation. It's been 25 days since the MRI incident and there might be some hope. I'm still in shock and frantically pacing across my apartment thinking is there anything that can be done.

My audiogram dipped 5 db at every frequency after an MRI. I had practically perfect hearing through the bone before. I did another one recently and it hearing through the air dipped another 5 db. At this point I don't know if it's from noise exposure or I have something neurological going on or I have physical problems with my ear. I'm going to one of the best neurologists in my state tomorrow in hope that he can do something.

I'm crying hysterically. I can't accept the reality. I will be praying that HBOT will help.
      Thank you everybody for the support. It means a lot.

15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks so much. I won’t hold my breath on mutebutton although it would be amazing if it works, I believe the body is smarter than any treatment. I reduced my tinnitus 50-70 percent through simple multi day water fasts the last time. I will take the same route this time when I can get it together, it’s mentally challenging, and when I’m in this state, I’m weak willed and can’t even make it through the night without getting wasted on booze.

16. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you haven't read up on the device please do. It looks very promising!

There is a Q&A on December 3rd with them. Be sure to check it out!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks. Will do

18. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Wow! Could you provide the source for that exact statistic?

19. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am trying to find where I saw this. I know it came from some official source, but I can't find where now.

edit: I have searched for like 30 min now and can't find where I read that so I am redacting it from my earlier comment. :/

20. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I did one on December 10, 2017 and nothing happened.

21. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps yours wasn't as loud and you had good protection?

22. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine was loud as hell but I had hella good protection. MRI was loud as hell and I could still hear it even with all that protection. My ENT made me do all tests possible to determine if have thyroid cancer, blood cancer, acoustic neuroma, etc. I wish i didnt do the MRI as I had a reaction to the gadolinium, my arm got red blotches and it stung like crazy, it is gone now it lasted for two weeks after MRI.

23. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow that sounds scary!

24. Yo-Han

Yo-Han Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Arseny
      I feel bad this had to happen to you! Your posts are so well written and nicely detailed, asking for the right things to do, seek out the help you need ... And then this happens! It makes me very sad, and a bit angry MRI operators don't seem to know the sound risks for us with pre existing Tinnitus and sound sensitivity like Hyperacusis.

I had it too when i read @Telis similar topic a few weeks ago.

I experienced that nasty spikes can reside, especially in the early T days. And some spikes can go down even after many weeks, months! Hang on and do the HBOT and stick to the good empathic doctors and therapists.

@Jack Straw and @Telis

My general practicioner has referred my to a neuro psychiatrist this week due me being of work for a few months. Due severe burnout from T and H and me keeping on going a few years like a stoic monk on steroids ( i dont take these, just as a matter of speaking).
      My life was/is 'all work no play' during 3-4 hard to bear years, including the dead of my mom and dad :( to make a long story short ...

I tel him the neuro psychiatrist how T and H has affected my whole life ... First thing he does after 20-30 minutes of my talk ? Orders an MRI! And then EEG next appoitnment (ok that's quiet)! But does the guy even know what bad hyperacusis is if he offers an MRI? And then he writes Tinnitus (ok) ... and Phonophobia on my CT scan note.... grrrrmbl. I wouldn't fearr sounds if they 'd casue no discomfort,pain, or loduer T!

I said hell no to the brain / head MRI (i had one in 2012 when my T was very mild, and no tumors or damage )! And went for a CT scan for the brain. My geuss is he wants to rule out other diseases or strucural problems, but i had zero things spoken about wich weighed on my mind the most.isn't that wath bloddy shrinks are about to be? I had many good sessions with physical and psycho therapists before that helped me cope and lower my stress levels...
      Buth medical protocols and T and H, sigh. :eek: Creates stress!

ps, i have nothing against life saving medical imaging! In some cases its just a bit overdone for the patient.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Did they provide the protection?

26. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you need to get an MRI there are "silent" MRIs by GE that are said to be 77 dB. If you wear double hearing protection this should be perfectly safe.

27. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well they are ENTs. My Ent still pressured me to do ear tests which damaged my hearing. Explain to me how I no hearing loss in noisy areas before and then after those tests I do, kind of makes you think.

Gadolinium is toxic and it stays within your system (brain, skin, organs), it is unknown what it will cause in the next 20 years (the retention). I still have swollen skin on the place where the IV was at.

28. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes and lots of it. I had no spike and nothing from the noise, just a reaction to the contrast. The ear tests however did damage my hearing.

29. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      That’s strange how most places provide protection, but the place I went to didn’t. I don’t know how they get away with it, their machines are loud as they get as well.

30. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I have had multiple MRIs in my life. I think all but the first and last were unnecessary as it seems the first thing a doctor will do is just hop in and order one. Who knows, maybe it contributed to my ear damage to have this many. But I never considered them loud or scary in the past.

I've had progressively worse health insurance of the years. The last one done wasn't at as nice of a place. At this point I had mild hyperacusis and was surprised that the mri was so loud. I remember calling the technician to turn down the volume. Of course they can't do that though. I was in pain, especially towards the end. But strangely I didn't suffer any spikes.

I got through it fine despite the louder model and T and H but I couldn't handle one dude screaming unto my headphones. (Which permanently worsened me)

Shrug.

• Hug Hug x 1