If Your Tinnitus Lost Its Intensity by 80 Percent, Would You Habituate Faster?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, May 7, 2015.

?

If your tinnitus intensity decreased by 80 percent, would you habituate faster?

1. Yes

2. Maybe

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Mine is worse at night , I hardly hear it during the day and sometimes I listen and its gone but im always on edge and alert listening for it so I dont think I will ever get used to it

2. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      After all these years I still don`t know what habituation means .. .so many people talk about it but they talk about something I can not grasp.

So does it mean you are not bothered by it anymore ... it is there but you just carry on doing what you do being happy and all?

You might think this is a stupid question but to me it isn`t ...

For myself I can`t seem to let go of the desire to have silence. I carry on business as usual, at least try to.. but this T his the root of deep unhappiness and stands in the way of it ...

Even now I just continue my life as good as possible .. I work I meet people, I avoid loud places but I carry on ... but even doing all of this T is slowly slowly causing damage to mind and this reflects in a tired body ...

@Hottopic29 man don`t bother listening for something that isn`t there ... you are so bloody lucky! ... the only time I don`t hear my T is in deep sleep ... it even penetrates my dreamstate to wake me up and keep me awake for hours. I have learned to pretend to be a corpse and not get emotional about it. I just lie there doing nothing being nothing ...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      It took a while for me, but I think I actually understand where you're coming from. I think there is a major miscommunication with the volume discussion but I think I get it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

4. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I think habituation might mean something slightly different to different people... Or perhaps there are different degrees of habituation.

Here's my personal experience at the moment: I can hear my T just about every waking minute, but it gets no real reaction from me. It doesn't cause me any more distress than any other noise. Basically it's a noise that exists. As of the last couple of months, there are times when I don't hear it because I'm into something else. But my progression looked like this: tinnitus had my primary attention but didn't bother me anymore. Then it had my secondary attention and I'd say this is where I've been for most of my habituated time. Now about 90% of the time it has my tertiary attention but every once in a while I'll notice I've gone through a chunk of time where it didn't have my attention at all.

So I'd consider myself habituated. Sometimes it can spike and cause me a moment of distress but then I just get back to what I was doing and it turns back to a neutral noise for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      A combination of in ear masking devices, medications and dietary changes made that the volume of my T has decreased 80% gradually over the last six months. I still have minor spikes. This development has been the difference between life and death for me. I went from being in a desperate, crying, actively suicidal state to a mildly depressed, reasonably content, cautiously optimistic one. Reducing T volume reduces anxiety about T in the limbic system, which reduces overall perceived T in your conscious awareness. Remember T is a brain disease which involves different areas of your brain. Volume is a huge factor in how severe T is perceived.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Inge
      What did you change in terms of diet?

7. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I reduced salt and caffeine intake.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sure it makes a difference. Some people seem bothered by very quiet T that they say they only hear when in a totally quiet room. For those people I think T itself is not really the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud T is harder to deal with than softer T. Having suffered from both mild and severe T it is safe to say it is easier to tolerate T that is less loud. That said in the long run, even mild to moderate T can be exhausting and slowly wear you down as we never get a break from the sound. Even though my T has improved it still affects my life in a negative way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      I think this guy on yuku board has very mild T.
      His words: Today.... I hear it here and there sometimes during the day.

Wow....wish I could say that.!!!!!
      I don't hear it 'here and there' but I hear it everywhere!!
      I don't hear it 'sometimes during the day', but whole day / night !!

Eventhough I get myself distracted doin' things I enjoy, eventhough I am a Lucky woman with nice family, very good and beloved partner, work I love to do (owner fashion webshop) and eventhough I don't have panic attacks anymore like during the first 6-9 month's.
      It's now, today, exactly 1 year and 5 month's since the onset.
      I, the one who loved silence so much.

My T is very very loud screaming, high pitched dentist-drills and also click clack and waves and wind, etc. etc.
      So if this yuky guy took 5 years.... with mild tinnitus.....
      Wondering how long 'it' will take for me,... to live a life within T does not bothering me anymore.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Sometimes mine goes down 80% but I am still not able to habituate because even at that volume the intensity and pitch is such that it can still cut through any sound around me. Plus mine is reactive so even on a good day it will suddenly crank up if the right noise floats by.

12. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My tinnitus has been so loud in both ears about 11 years and never stops so I am use to my own noisy world and push my self every day to have a nice day.
      I'm a positive bubbly person and enjoy my life even though my Menieres and sever tinnitus is tough going and I have breathing problems .
      I would love my ears to go quiet again but I don't think now they ever will .
      I have to remember my tinnitus is due to Menieres but hope others reading this don't give up hope .......lots of love glynis

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1