I'm New as Well!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Matthew John, May 24, 2016.

1. Matthew John

Matthew John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi guys
      Out of desperation I goggled the question "tinnitus help" and came across this forum.
      Had this for two years now - drinking around 15 units of alcohol before bed is the only way to sleep for me.
      This will eventually damage my liver, any other methods you have found that work?
      I have a constant high pitch frequency noise on the left, but at the same time a low frequency hum-two noises, driving me mad. I'm distracted during the day - but night time is tough.
      I'm gonna read some of your posts now - hope to find some relief from experience.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to Tinnitus Talk Matthew.
      Try a warm bath and warm drink.
      At night listen to natural sounds all through the night set below your tinnitus.
      Your brain works hard to push past your tinnitus sound and listen to the sound you have chosen.
      This helps your brain not to focus on the tinnitus and over time will help in the day as well as helping you sleep.

Still ok have the odd drink or two in moderation help you relax but try a warm drink.
      Also the sence of smell is a good distraction with some nice smelly stuff on .
      Keep posting on the main forums for round the clock support....lots of love glynis

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Alcohol will excite your brain and make your tinnitus more noticeable, in addition to providing poor sleep (alcohol will make you fall asleep quickly, but the sleep you get is not restful and doesn't recharge you well - you may notice you wake up a few hours in rather than sleeping deep).
      I would cut all the "exciters" (alcohol, caffeine, chocolate).
      Then try massages before sleep. Hopefully you have someone around you who can help you. I suggest lavender oil. It helps calm down.
      I have a fairly intrusive tinnitus (nothing will mask it) and was relying on Valium to sleep. Now massages have replaced Valium and I'm really happy about it.

Good luck.

-- Greg