I'm Not Committing Suicide. I'm Being Murdered by Merciless Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bam, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Holy shit. This is exactly why we need a cure. People are being CIA tortured 24/7. My lord.

• Agree Agree x 4
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      A couple of points that I think connect in with this discussion...

1) I read a book many years ago called "Adrenal Syndrome". A lot of the book touched on the residual resiliency of people's adrenal glands as they respond to life's stresses. Very low resiliency often resulted in months/years of chronic debilitating exhaustion. Very high resiliency indicated essentially the opposite. The author broke this down into some rough numbers:

25% of people have low resiliency, meaning normal life stressors will often send them into some degree of a tailspin.
      25% of people have high resiliency, meaning that no matter how severe a stressor comes into their lives, they will be able to cope without becoming debilitated to any degree.
      50% of people fall somewhere inbetween.

I suspect there's some corresponding numbers for a person's ability to deal with tinnitus, whether or not the percentages are close to 25-25-50. But nobody's yet written a book about it, or even tried to document this in a serious manner.

2) I read a book several years ago called, "Highly Sensitive People". -- It describes the nature of a highly sensitive person, and the author estimates that approx. 10% of the population fall into this category. Since beginning to read on this forum, I've strongly suspected a much larger percentage of people than 10% who suffer terribly from tinnitus would fall into this category. I believe I'm in that category, as well as being in the "low-resiliency" group when it comes to adrenal health/stamina.
      I've "taken" down a couple of chimes myself. I suspect people who put them up generally don't fall into either the low-resiliency adrenal health group, or the highly sensitive people group. How else could they stand such onging, jangling, discordant sounds? :(

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is there anything that the low resiliency people can do to become high resiliency?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I run wind chimes on speakers blasting all night mixed with things like crickets and high pitched beeps, and in the day I run it on headphones. If you really think that those are intrusive sounds, I dint think you want to listen to severe tinnitus for even a few seconds. You would might be shocked and surprised at what the brain can drum up, I sure am.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bill,

There's a whole category of supplements called "Adaptogens" that support adrenal health, and the body's "stress response" in general. Just a simple google search of adaptogens will bring up a number of supplements for sale. A more specifc search of "adrenal stress response" will give more specific information.

A lot of adrenal stress response support products are adrenal extracts from animal sources, but there are herbal adoptogens as well. I've tried a few, and the one that gave me the best (and significant) results was nettles. I buy a pound of organic nettles from Amazon for a little under $20, and make big batches at a time.

I've thought about starting a thread on this topic, as I believe a lot of people dealing with extreme stress from tinnitus could be helped--possibly significantly--with some supporting supplements. I seem to recall that when I first started on the nettles, my sleep immediately improved.

• Informative Informative x 2
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What do you do with nettles? How do you take it?

7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah, my dad was in one of those CIA noise torture camps, he was not bothered. He said a lot of the other prisoners would succumb to the noise and crack, but he had had a bunch of other health issues in his life, almost died at one point so wasn’t a big deal for him. I’m not sure why he wasn’t bothered, you would think that the CIA would have understood that some people are just not impacted by loud noise, and others are. They should have checked out tinnitustalk, they could maybe learn a few things here. I chalk it up to his calm laid back attitude, I’m sure many here would agree with my assessment.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If he wasn't a guard, why was he there?

9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I’m kidding. It’s a joke!!! I’m being sarcastic

• Like Like x 1
    10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have what appears to be significant reactive tinnitus (along with severe hyperacusis). So whatever sounds I hear become amplified, sometimes many times over. It's even painful for me to pee in the toilet, so I pee like a girl these days. :rolleyes: So I have to be very careful with whatever outer sounds I'm exposed to.

Speaking of what the brain can drum up, I suspect you would probably be shocked/surprised at what the brains of people with ME/CFS can drum up from misfiring immune, endocrine, and neurological systems. From what I can gather, most of them deal with being on the very low end of adrenal resiliency, and are highly sensitive as well.

Not only do they deal with brain conditions like anhedonia, depersonalization and other dissociative disorders, but a large percentage of these people end up with severe tinnitus and/or hyperacusis as well. You'd probably see more posts by them on this forum, if they actually had the energy to get out of bed. Many of them don't, much less being able to go to the bathroom or bathe themselves.

A lot of these dissociative disorders are generally referred to as "mental disorders". But it's amazing to hear of occasional success stories where people have been able to reset their adrenal stress response, and/or their immunological response, etc. Their supposed "mental disorders" disappear almost immediately. Unfortunately, the success stories are pretty few and far between, once a person's system has become so debilitated.

The reason I occasionally mention ME/CFS, is because there's actually a lot of overlap between it and tinnitus. In this regard, I think it's almost vitally important for people with tinnitus do a good amount of research on how to support their own body's stress response, as I believe it can make a huge difference in whether a person's tinnitus will ever get a chance to heal as well as it might be able to. -- Best!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That does not sound scientifically credible

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I generally take a cup of loose bulk nettles and put it in a quart of water in a blender. I have a high speed Vita-Mix, so I only need to blend it for 15-20 seconds or so. I then strain. This gives me an "uncooked" dose of nettles.

I then take the wet bulk that's left after straining, and put it in a quart of water on the stove, bring it to a boil, and then strain. I usually do this 2-3 times, or until the remaining liquid is no longer a dark green color. I keep it in the refrigerator, and it usually last several days. A week is getting a bit long. -- BTW, a pound of nettles is a LOT of tea. :)

13. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I know, sorry if I downplayed your situation, I have the same thing, my ears just hurt, and yeah something about peeing standing up is just painful, I agree. I try to distract with these noises, get them as loud as I can get them without causing too much discomfort and pain. I swear my brain is just dying for that lost input, there is a fine line for me between loud masking and tolerating the pain from the noise, it’s a tough mix.

Yeah there are many shitty situations out there, I’m sorry for all these people. You post some very informative stuff Lane.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Telis

I think yours is the first post I've seen that touches on this topic, and I very much appreciate you mentioning it. The tough mix you mention is something I sometimes I think of as a "tough tradeoff". The brain (and ears?) do sometimes absolutely need certain things, but.... what price are we willing--or able to--pay? -- I wish you the very best Telis, you seem to be going through some truly horrendous times. I hope things can turn for you--and soon!

15. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There’s no need for that. My dad’s really ill right now and you’re just taking the piss. I understand your circumstances, but there’s still a line.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      It was in poor taste.

17. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I wish your father all the best man, I truely do. I’m sure there are many people in the same situation as your father that are not bothered at all, and do just fine in the end, one way or the other. Good luck to him.

18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well we all have different taste I guess, bad or good, who’s to say.

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      My dad died a horrible horrible death that took 10 years. Nothing about your comment offended me whatsoever. I really don't know why you're taking flack for that. Oh well...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Lane which nettles product? I did a search and there were a lot of different types.

21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure why that would be relevant. -- Science only explores teeny, tiny amounts of what it would be nice to have scientific exploration on. Since there's no financial payoff for a LOT of these untested areas, it leaves it to us to sift the wheat from the chaff of information that is readily available.

With the internet today, that volume of information has probably never been greater. Why not delve into areas that may be of benefit to us, and then decide if it's worthwhile to follow up or not? A lot of people on this forum are doing just that, and getting great benefit. Curcumin to help reduce inflammation and tinnitus; mullein-garlic to do the same, etc. I think we need to be aware of the limitations of what science has to offer, and be prepared to do our part when it comes to our own health challenges, including our own unique tinnitus/hyperacusis experiences.

• Winner Winner x 1
    22. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      You don’t comprehend that people have different levels of what they consider respectful, crass, polite, rude, etc? Just because your father died and the sarcasm does not bother you does not mean that someone else who has experienced a similar loss will find the sarcasm appropriate.

Maybe we’ve uncovered an underlying issue because it seems there is a lack of understanding that people have different levels of pain tolerance, too.

• Like Like x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well then if certain people are so easily offended then they could just remove themselves from the discussion instead of trying to force others onto respecting their emotional fragility. What @Telis posted was not bad, or nominally offensive. Get over it. And BTW I do comprehend that people have different levels of "what they consider respectful, crass, polite, rude'. I just dont bow down to thin skinned thought police.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
      • Winner Winner x 2
    24. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      @fishbone: "...There are some that are really annoyed by mild/barely noticeable tinnitus. There are some that have intrusive levels of tinnitus and learn to live with it and cope/habituate."

But, how did you determine they had mild tinnitus, when it may actually be chronic they're so "annoyed" by and vice versa?
      This is the question.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I also think that it's about body and mind where life experience's touches on one's biology/genes and what determination they may have. Some with tinnitus might have a lifetime of stress exhaustion. In general maybe there is one way to determine traits on a message board where studies have been done.

Psychologists will sign up to examine message boards where ratings are given. They view who gives who ratings. I've read a few of those studies and they all came to the same conclusion. The conclusion is that those who only give ratings to a select few are most unhappy with maybe health problems.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Should Ed also remove himself from the conversation given the post essentially mocked his father’s experience? I took offense because it was unkind to him.

But I am jumping off the thread all the same — enjoying a holiday event, something I did not think possible when tinnitus and severe hearing loss first hit.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You drink the liquid (and discard the nettles after the liquid is no longer green), right?
      I agree. They can also place the users whose posts they don't enjoy reading on their Ignore List. My ignore list has close to 100 people on it.

28. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it didn't.

Now you're just making stuff up.

Now you're accusing @Telis of purposefully mocking @Ed209's fathers experience. How could @Telis have possibly know what @Ed209's father was going through when he posted that? Seriously. I'm sorry for Ed for his father's plight but I am majoy failing to see how anyone could take what @Telis said as offensive. Because he joked about his own father? What is your logic here?

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It seems to me that it kind of did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This is what got to me also back in 2002 @Telis. I could not tolerate what you wrote either. It added to my inferior feelings. It made me feel it was me. Something wrong with me.

I watched as this destroyed my friend Dave. I watched and listened as he spiraled downward losing everything in his life that mattered. No one listened to him.

I don't know why I survived quite honestly. The tinnitus is just as bad every single second of my life. Losing him to suicide with me by his side did something to my soul. Sorry...just crying as I write and remember. I tried so hard to forget and move on and disappear from this scene of tinnitus support and fundraising.

It makes us feel unworthy and mental in some cases. Some people are trying to give hope (or being sarcastic asses) But that message is one that we cannot except - until - one day you kinda do.

• Hug Hug x 2