Improvements in Hearing Test — Worsening Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lukee, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Hi All,

I just received a copy of my recent hearing test and I'm a bit dumbfounded.
      My test back in February shows a notable drop-off at 8 kHz (25 dB), which they still considered borderline normal. Also, reflexes were absent at 1-4 kHz.

My new report shows no hearing loss at 8kHz and instead shows improvement in both ears to 0 dB. Unfortunately, my tinnitus and other symptoms, with the exception of fullness, are worse off than in February. I just find it very peculiar that in 4 months my hearing changed for the better yet my tinnitus became worse. The tests were taken by two different audiologists and the setups were different but I cant imagine a 25 dB difference due to testing equipment.

I haven't been able to find any clinics that test above 8 kHz but I would guess that my hearing is still pretty good and I can hear up to 16 kHz relatively well.

Attached Files:

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There can be fluctuations in hearing tests up to -30 dB that are just due to conduction problems. 8 kHz is a high frequency, and maybe there was some conduction problem that improved over time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Audiogram doesn't paint the whole picture anyway. Curious if you had a words-in-noise test done?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not in noise. But my word score was perfect otherwise. I can hear very well and don’t have any issue hearing things. I’m wondering if some of the supplements have helped recover some hearing loss or maybe I naturally recovered. Either way, my tinnitus has gotten worse, not better, unfortunately.

5. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's certainly possible you have recovered some hearing. I certainly did from my initial acoustic trauma, and that threshold shift will show up on the audiogram.

As for tinnitus getting worse... Is it getting louder or changing, or what?

6. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      That is awesome! My hearing looks like your first test. Are you young? I've heard of one or two others in the forum who are pretty young and had similar experiences with improvement on their audiograms.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’d say it’s gotten a little louder and just more constant. Initially I could mask it 90% of the day. Now I can here it about 50%. It still ebbs and flows but it’s certainly worse than before. Pitch hasn’t changed much and it’s pretty much static.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m 35. Never noticed any type of hearing loss even after the onset. I’m pretty sure I’d see something in the higher ranges but even then I can hear 16 kHz+ just as well as my wife, if not better.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my experience, tinnitus just does that from time to time, and there are other non-hearing factors that certainly influence it. For me, my winter-spring allergies cause all kinds of problems; as does Chipotle hot salsa... but oh well.

I'd take it as a good sign that your hearing on the two tests above is not showing any sign of dramatic wear. I can attest that it does take a while for hearing to recover.

• Like Like x 1
    10. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      That's great! An improved audiogram is always good news!

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I read a blog about hot peppers a while ago. Seems like capsaicin can injure your hearing and cause tinnitus.

12. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Reflexes were not present; why they didn't do bone conduction is beyond me. It would've told a lot about that big dip which looks like noise-induced but who knows, a small fracture could do this too.

Seems like you had an ear bone injury that healed.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I would agree with you but a new piece of info. I had a hearing test back in 2016, well before my injury, and it is basically the same as the February test. The hearing test was part of a routine checkup and showed the same dip, so it’s been present for a long time and then all of a sudden, months after my injury, my hearing gets better? I will take another to ensure it was a floppy test.