In Desperate Need of Help and Support

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wanderingbreeze, Sep 13, 2017.

1. wanderingbreeze

wanderingbreeze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/15/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I have been lurking for awhile. I felt as though I should not post because my tinnitus is now very, very mild—and I know I should appreciate that, but I need support and I didn’t know where else to go.

I had some sort of cold or infection back in February (2017) which I consider to have ruined my life. I developed tinnitus in my left ear, which I imagine was from fluid stuck in my middle ear. I took Sudafed after a month, and the tinnitus eventually went away (almost completely) although I still get short loud bursts of it every few days. 7 months later, my ears still crackle and pop all the time.

My tinnitus was only constantly loud for about six weeks, but the psychological affect it had on me was massive, and I am afraid, irreversible. The fear that it will come back is debilitating. I know it is irrational, and I know many people that have tinnitus who are not bothered by it at all. But I am not one of those people.

I am so afraid of everything now. I am afraid to go out with my friends to any place that may be too loud or have live music. I am afraid when my husband has the TV too loud. I am also afraid of silence, and now sleep with a fan on all the time. I turn fans and vents on unnecessarily to avoid silence, because I fear hearing the sounds in my head. I am almost 30 and have even stopped considering trying to have a child because I am afraid of how loud the screams of a baby will be. But even worse than this is my debilitating fear of medicine. I have not taken a single medication since I took the Sudafed in March. It seems almost EVERYTHING can cause tinnitus, even allergy medicine.

I now really need to try some different medications, but I am so afraid to try anything, and just the thought of taking a pill makes my heart pound.

On July 25th, I hit my head on a metal sign (I wasn’t paying attention) and since then (about 7 weeks now) I have had mild and constant dizziness. It is not vertigo, since it is constant and doesn’t come in severe attacks. I need to try to take medication to help myself, but I just cannot because I am too afraid. I have seen two doctors and cannot even get a diagnosis on what is causing the dizziness. I am even afraid to take meclizine, which is apparently not at all ototoxic and can supposedly actually help people with tinnitus.

I used to be such a happy person but I am now so miserable, and live in constant fear (and now, dizziness).

Please. Any support or encouragement will be appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suggest you try CBT since you don't have T anymore but you do still have irrational fears about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I agree. CBT will help you deal with cognitive distortions, fear and anxiety. You can also learn about mindfulness meditation which is another powerful technique to deal with anxiety and other negative feelings. Youtube should have many videos with tutorial on the technique. You can benefit from CBT and mindfulness. Take good care. God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      T can have a huge psychological effect on when you have it, and when it goes away too. For me, as mine fades, little things don't bother me, and I am very careful about being around loud noise.
      I wouldn't stress about T returning, just be careful around loud noise, don't use syringes in your ears, ect....
      And keep in mind that *most* Tinnitus is temporary.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. w-drak
      Digging it

w-drak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hello.

First, congratulation to your T leaving you after some time. Can I ask you? Was it relief for you back then?

I am now on my second onset of T and it has been really really difficult. But I made it to myself, stupidly so. But I know what made it and I know what to avoid in the future (the only 2 loud concerts in my life, dammit).

If your T was from fluid stuck in your middle ear and it is not problem anymore, I really suggest you to enjoy the life as much as you can now . There are many many many people suffering from severe T, there are many people suffering with much more difficult diseases, and they are still enjoying they life so much. But yeah, that is easier said than done, I know.

I can just tell you what is helping me with the anxiety: daily exercises (especially those for calming nerves ), sport, people around... and I would really like to do some meditation, but I still do not feel ready because of my T. And the most important thing for me is to remember, that the stress is the biggest cause of all the diseases, so there is no chance that I can let my stress to control me (of course I fail sometimes, but the next day I am back with this attitude). If you will be enjoying your life fully, the chance of T coming back will be the smallest.

So my daily question: Should I be sad and anxious giving my T the biggest power OR Should I be strong and happy and enjoy my life to fullest and give T chance to leave me (and never come back)? I think the first is the right answer! And if your T is (almost) gone, you have easier work to do, right? :)

As others have mentioned, CBT could be the next step for you, I am very confident it could help you massively.

Edit: Have you already seen some psychologist? If there is some good one around you, she/he can also help you a lot. If you can admit that your fears are too strong and irrational, it is also already the first step to get better. ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @wanderingbreeze
      Congratulations, your T has gone away! You have received some great advice from other members of the forum that have more experience with T then I do. I have had T for 6 months….I would be so happy to be in your shoes!
      Protect your ears, but enjoy your life. There seems to be a connection between anxiety and T, so learn how to relax and enjoy silence…….awwww how I wish I could enjoy ti too.:)

7. Tinnutis Girl

Tinnutis Girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I have had T on my left ear for approx. 20 years ( I am 63) after many visits to ENT doctors the answer was always the same "nothing we can do just live with it." Approx 1 year later my T dissappeared for 3 to 4 years and I thought AMAZING it's gone...No!!!! it came back and never left. I live my life with this horrible sounds in my ear. 24/7 My only option was accupuncture and after 10 to 15 sessions I was able to keep the buzzing low sometimes no buzzing for a period of hours that I was so grateful to have and I have been able to 'manage" I still go for accupuncture every couple of months.
      My right ear was perfect, T kicked last year let me tell you HORRIBLE extremely loud sounds from buzzing to ear pressure to a motor sounds and have course I started accupuncture on both ears but my right ear did not make a difference. I did get vertigo for many hours every 2/3 weeks .. just sick in bed! This was a surprise, I have both ears going with different sounds.
      I google for days looking for new information and came across a "paper" out of the US that mentioned going to the Chiropractor could help with Vertigo/Tinnutis I had nothing to lose and booked an appt. after my first visit my Vertigo changed to dizziness that lasted approx 12 hours I was ready to give up but read on that "paper" that it can get worse before it gets better and not stop going and I followed that recommendation and after 10 visits I can say that my balance is perfect and never had another dizziness it's only been 4 months.
      The T continued "Oh my God" it was CRAZY sometimes it was so loud that I was afraid I would lose my mind I would ask my husband why is this right ear T fluctuates to different sounds! Last month I found new information on line that it did not make sense but I was willing to try anything and everything. It stated that if you have T in the right ear your are allergic to glutten. Well that was a game changer as soon as I stop ped eating glutten my T went from 10/10 to 2/10 and sometimes no T at all.
      I mentioned to my doctor of course she looked at me not believing me but that's OK it's my body I am responsible to myself. As I type this post my right ear has no T at all. I am not cured but everyday I feel blessed and I just go with the flow!!! I NEVER took any medication but I will try everything outside of meds!

I am posting this to hopefully help someone based on my personal experience. I am not cured but I feel good!
      If you get stressed Tinnutis will take over your life.

Best of luck to everyone living with Vertigo / Tinnutis.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wanderingbreeze

wanderingbreeze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/15/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I definitely need to try the therapy.

Good luck to everyone. I pray they will come up with a real treatment for this terrible ailment soon.

❤️