In need of some support

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maddy, Apr 14, 2014.

1. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I do not normally release information on where I have been treated or business contacts in the medical industry, but here is one clinic that will do intra-tympanic steriod injections (for those who are interested):

www.acquaklinik.de

And yes, 4 months after onset, steroids will be of no value. Probably.

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Right or wrong, the underlying message - in case you missed it - is to go see an ENT doctor. And quickly. If you are right, then all the better - the tinnitus should go away. But, if you are wrong, and the poster missed the window of opportunity, then it means an undetermined period of suffering. And right now that period is for life. Yes, there might be tinnitus cures available at some point in the future, but when they eventually emerge, they will most likely only be partial cures and/or only work for a specific segment of tinnitus patients (eg. cochlear tinnitus with recent onset). Just this week, I had feedback from one of the leading doctors at the University Hospital of Leipzig (and who has insight into the AM101 trial). And his assessment of the phase II trial was that the results were "not that good". Hopefully the phase III trial will change that. We shall see. But one way or another, it will be some time before we see a real robust tinnitus product on the commercial market. And that is why tinnitus with a recent onset is essentially a "medical emergency" in the sense that there is a window of opportunity where the symptoms can be (partially) reversed. After that, it is wait-and-see. And yes, tinnitus may go away by itself, but the reality is that tinnitus which has been present for just 3-4 weeks is "surprisingly permanent".

On a slightly un-related note (for those who follow my updates), I will be having a phone conversation with a professor of neurosurgery in Switzerland, this week. The aim is look for a possible experimental treatment of tinnitus via a new type of surgery. I will share what I can with this forum if something productive arises from the conversation. But, I must stress that there is nothing "concrete" at this moment.

3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah unfortunately they would not give them to me I used my window of opportunity as best I could but because I had no hearing loss they said the use of steroids would prove to be of no benefit to me.Im seeing a professor in a week or two maybe he will have a different opinion.According to my audiologist I have a perfectly functioning cochlea which leads me to ask the question what really is causing this....