Increased tinnitus even with earplugs and some other questions?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Meestijn, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi all,

1 thing that keeps bothering and scares me;
      I recently went to a 'loud' event and used molded air plugs (with blocking of approx 25 db).

However, after the event I still got more ringing and electricity in my head which went away slowly to my 'normal' level.

Do more of you experience the same for already some time (lets say years), although protection the T worsened and than after a while got back to a lower (say basic level)?

What makes me also crazy (or maybe it should make me happy when reading some other posts) is that when I spent some time in a quite environment my T also can become relatively quite (often only a low buzzing, my high pitch ring and electricity is more or less faded).
      However, for example, when sitting together with my girlfriend and kids and the kids become really active (thus noisy) I notice an increased electricity and buzzing (even when the sound can be considered moderate) after going to a quite place. I know I shouldn't do that but hey I'm still testing how my ears react/act!

Getting to sleep and sleeping itself so far is no issue and when I wake up in the morning my T is often very quite to turn up during the day? What to think of that?

Thanks,

2. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi Meestijn,
      recently I went to the cinema and used molded air plugs (medium protection, I should check how "translate" in decibel) and my T spiked for a while before to come back to the normal level. I'd not worry, it's normal.
      It's very positive you don't have problems with sleeping. About the T turning up during the day, I think it can depends on anxiety (it's not really the T to increase, but our reaction to it make us to put more attention to the sound), or maybe the earing cells become more reactive to the external sound - just an idea, not being me a scientist!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013

Hi Carlo,

I do not believe it is anxiety alone. If so, than it is quite a dirty sniper! It could be, but I'm really wondering...
      e.g. today I went to the companies restaurant. It was crowded with people. I tested the noise level with my iPhone and the noise fluctuated between 85/90 DB (maybe not 100% trustful but it should give a good indication). After approx 1. hour leaving the restaurant my head is full of electricity so to say! I really do not believe it is because me are focusing (of course this may contribute a bit) but certainly is not the only thing. Maybe I should consider this sound as my basic sound and everything lower as a benefit!!!! But so frustrating.... I'm afraid I become a house person as basic sounds are even too much.
      I always liked to be social (going out, doing things outdoor....)

Thus an example of my greatest fear... that simple things like a restaurant already too much for me. It is something I have difficulties to cope with! Only 38.... life ahead (I hope). Feels like the old Batman tv series - SMACK, BOOM, SPLASH!!!! into my face.

WHY WHY WHY... currently I can not really handle this...

Hopefully I'm able once to habituate but now.... pfffff.... I really can't imagine.

4. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi Meestijn,
      I can understand your frustration...generally crowded places make me the same effect if I don't wear earplugs. Don't let T rule your life, and try not to change the way of life you like! Trust me, the fact your sleeping is not affected it's a good step. Are you on any treatment? Usually tinnitus lowers by itself some time after the onset. I see we both are newbie, I just can say that on my side habituation (and maybe treatment) now is (are) doing a good job - after the first weeks that were terrible.
      Hang in there!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Carlo,

Frustrating that is! You hit to nail on the head!
      No, I do not use any treatment (yet), I believe reading through all the messages that I have to consider me lucky that I do not need any medication to get to sleep (fingers crossed). And sleeping is going quite well too. My high pitch sound has indeed been lowered to an almost not hearable level (all or not due to AudioNotch music or natural recovery?) but the buzzin/hissing looks more in the forefront lately and it seems that a new high pitch is luring in my right ear (again fingers crossed that this will not become true).

So you feel you already habituated after only some months, is that really possible?
      Or you may consider yourself lucky that the T is lowering naturally too!
      Do you use some treatment trying to sleep?
      Do you use ear protection in 'generally' crowded places or just let T doing his dirty tricks so to say?

6. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I try to avoid noisy situations at all. But wear earplugs or muffs when I know I am going to be exposed. I have noticed what appears an increase in my T. upon returning to normal everyday noise. The T seems to be louder I believe because when wearing the ear protection I am loosing most of the normal day outside noise. Maybe just a perception of mine rather than an actual increase in the T.

Right now it seems to be louder but there is no one at home and the only sound is the harddrive on the computer. Quite environments seem to raise the level of my T or just my awareness of it.

My T is almost always low when awaking in the morn or during the nite. The exception is when taking a short nap. Last nite I feel asleep in the recliner for a few minutes and it was roaring upon waking. I must then try and sleep long enough to go into a deep sleep pattern to try and calm it down.

7. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi Meestijn,
      I can't say I feel already habituated, certainly in contrast with the onset (long days of sleep deprivation, anxiety) my T is much more bearable - therapy? habituation? both? - finger crossed me too :). The high pitch sound I have lowered as yours. Please Meestijn, try not to focus on your right ear, generally do what you can to distract yourself. Easy to say, I know, but continual checking doesn't help...
      I take now 0.5 mg of lorazepam half an hour before to sleep; sometimes I forget it and luckily I can sleep the same, I'll quit soon this drug. I am forcing myself to use ear protection in all crowded or noisy places (such as some restaurants, bars, cinema, stadium). I use the same app you have, and I noticed that a long-time exposure to 80-90 db increase T...

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Carlo,

Yep, I understand the principle not being focussed at all on the damn sounds in my head. However, it is more or less, like saying to someone who try's to stop smoking. Just put the damn cigarette away and don't use it anymore. If it was as simple as that... then nobody was on forums like this, isn't ;). Nevertheless, I do my utmost not to fight the damn sounds in my head and try to be as normal as before. 3 steps foreward 2 step back 3 steps foreward 2 steps back (I hope I can follow this flow :)).

Note: And yes, this morning when waking up... my head was so quite... almost no sound... but we are 2 hours ahead and of course the noises are slowly fading in again :mad:.
      What I do no understand... it seems that my brain can come into a state that it ignores the noises (or something alike), however, it is my own brain who also brings the noises back (when waking up). Even when I wake up at night, I almost don't hear anything only a fade buzzing (seashelf phenomenon). Could I only be able to prolonge this state to the rest of the day, me would be happy :). Where is that damn T button - I thought men brains were simple but it looks they are more complicated afterall :p.