Indoor Gun Range Decibel Levels

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wolfears, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Just out of curiosity... Has anyone taken a decibel meter to an indoor gun range and if so, what were the results?

It has been some time since I set my foot in one of those...well before my Tinnitus started.

I remember that the standard ear muffs did a great job at protecting me back then (at least I felt like they did), but now I'm a little paranoid.

Friends are trying to convince me to come out for a bit, dust off the hardware and join the fun, but I'm kind of on the fence.

Although my Tinnitus went from loud and debilitating to mostly just hissing static, I still feel pretty vulnerable.

Trigger finger is getting itchy for sure, but not sure what to do.

Any tinnitus shooters on this board?

2. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      I'm only chiming in superficially since I know nothing of guns or ranges....but if I had to go to one for some reason I would double-up on protection, meaning fat foam earplugs (inserted deeply) and the best earmuffs I could find. I know on packages of earplugs they state that they are rated for continuous noise and may not be as effective against impulsive noise like gunfire.

If you have had loud and debilitating tinnitus before I would assume it could be that way again someday...I'm not saying you should be afraid of that, but be careful. Tinnitus is rough, we gotta do things we love but we gotta love our ears too. Is there some alternate way you could enjoy something similar with your friends...say archery or shooting in some fashion or form that is not as loud?

Take care @Wolfears

3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm going to vote no. I notice you got t this year. I'd stay away. Perhaps a nice whitewater rafting trip or zip lining or how about camping and drinking. That's a good male bonding experience.

• Creative Creative x 1
    4. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I would do ANYTHING else but indoor gun range. Why take that risk?

Even double protection will only give you 30-35 dB of protection, adding a second layer of protection gives you only a few decibels more protection.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Good. Stay a little paranoid. That will help keep you safe. I honestly can't believe you are asking this question. It's not worth the risk for some temporary thrill.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I would avoid this. You don't want further setback, because of this activity....

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I would strongly recommend against this activity if you have any form of hearing damage.. even with perfect ears I would recommend against it!

This means even if you have double hearing protection, in ideal circumstances it will reduce db levels ~50db which will still mean you are exposed to levels over 100db

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      outdoor gun ranges exist

9. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      Decibel meter inside an indoor range will vary depending on the caliber and pressure of the ammunition in the lanes next to you. When Clint Eastwood fires that Colt .44 Magnum in the lane next to you, there will be hell to pay.

10. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Most sound pressure level meters (the real devices, not apps) seem to have their upper limit ~130dB. Otherwise, they'll cost a fortune. I'd guess that the peak SPL could be higher than that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Yes ...I decided that the risk is too great on that one after all...won't be going any time soon I think.

• Like Like x 1