Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Cause i'm still new into this i have some questions.

I have moderate hearing loss all my life. I would really appreciate to hear like a normal person for once in my life. And if possible whitout tinnitus. I don't think hearing aids can give me that experience, because i can't still hear some sounds like the fridge or something. Maybe because some frequencies are gone?

How long will it possibly take to have a cure or treatment for hearing loss en possibly tinnitus?

Thanks to you all.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm from holland ;)

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      @Benoves

I have been using hearing aids for 10 years, and I would do anything to have my normal hearing back.
      My hearing loss is also moderate, and I would not function without my hearing aids.

As for a cure, it is difficult to say, since it depends on so many different things. The technology is there, but there are several other obstacles that has to be conquered like extensive human trials, research and testing. I hope we can see a cure within the next 5 years, but to be realistic I would say at least 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have hearing haids for about 7 weeks. Now i know what i lost ALL the time, i'm looking forward for a cure. For some reasom, moderate hearing loss never looks like a handicap to me, because i had it all my life. Now with my hearing aids, it looks so beautiful to me to have a good hearing. I also had an conversion with my mom(53) about this. She don't believes she would ever be hearing like a normal person. I hope she is SO wrong. She never read something like this, so maybe she just don't know about the things going on.

I have read that the technology is already there, probably some obstacles. I hope some of the researches which are going in trial by a few months, or are already in trial will show some promising results. But if not, they probably can learn from this trials. When something gives promising results, then something can went fast as i see in different inventions. All of the company's are doing their best to be the first one.

I'm calling myself (24) lucky i'm born this generation. Really looking forward to see a cure for hearing loss. and possibly a treatment for tinnitus. Praying that my mom also can experience this in their lifetime. I would take a second mortgage for this, especially for tinnitus.

Science is going fast these days, not only by tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    4. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Benoves

I was born with bad hearing, but I did not start with hearing aids before I was 28 so I know how you feel about everything like a new world. I did OK without the hearing aids before, but now I can not function without them.

Yes, we just have to keep hoping and having faith in the medical industry, and not least contribute in every way we can. Hearing and Tinnitus is becoming more and more of a problem, so this helps to put focus on a cure. And as you say, each step in research is a step in the right direction.

Yes, we are lucky to be born in this time, truly. I think about it sometimes, how I would function just 100 years ago with my hearing and Tinnitus. It is important to stay positive and be grateful for what we have instead of what we dont have. This is of course really hard sometimes, trust me I know.

I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 3
    5. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it would be bad to live 100 years ago with hearing loss, but i think it was also a beautiful time. Due to science en probably cures for hearing loss i prefer to live now. But out of my heart i would prefer to live 100 years ago whitout hearing loss and whitout tinnitus, beiing a farmer or something. |Wish you all the best too. But ontopic;

Does anyone have an resume of companies working on hearing loss or tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, I so much agree with you! I´d love to live 100 years ago if I could be free from hearing loss and tinnitus.

Regarding companies working in the field there are several, some of them are mentioned here;

http://www.reportsweb.com/tinnitus-pipeline-review-h1-2017#tabs3

But be sure to read more in this research section here on TT, quite a few more are mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks to you. I'm trying to cope with my T atm, cause there's no cure. I'm still new into this, so hoping for things to get better. If not my T, then my reaction to it (habituation). My T is very fluctuating, my hearing also fore some reason? Sometimes i hear much better.

I read here on TT that atm there are 29 companies working on a cure? There is a big hospital (UMCG groningen) where i'm living which is doing a 4 years research with multiple researchers but i don't expect to much from it, cause there are MUCH bigger companies working on it.

8. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, coping and making the best of the situation is what we got right now. As a comfort, there are many of us around the world, and being a part of this community can be of help and relief if used in a positive way. I have had tinnitus for 20 years, and I had very well habituated to it, but this summer I got a new tone and my tinnitus appear to be more reactive than before. My T is also very fluctuating, and it can be a struggle to pin down what causes this. But in general, sleep, exercise and a balanced diet could benefit in some ways. And of course, your attitude towards T.

What does your ENT say about your hearing being fluctuating?

The more research, the better.. Hopefully they will share their findings with each other as that could be a way to find a cure quicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When i went to my ENT 8 weeks ago, i didn't have those symptons. Also those morse code thing and extreme fluctuating not. But i will see it positive: I did start with a VERY loud EEEEEEEE in both ears. Right now i only hear a soft EEEEE in both ears and sometimes 2 additional sounds, but they can also disappear. The his can be freaking loud, but can also fully disappear. I think there is some trigger? Sometimes the his is also reactive to sound, but sometimes not :woot:

I have an appointment 13-12-2017 and i will discuss this things with my ENT. Last night i was able to sleep without medicines for the first time. Got 6 hours of sleep. I think things are going to be better, but i still hear it all day everywhere. I'm much less in panic, but somethimes it drives me crazy. The greatest annoyance to me is thinking of it all day... Wish i could change that, but i quess it takes time.

Wish you all the luck to habituate to the new tone, you've done it before. So why not twice? It seems possible if i read the stories around here. Maybe a bit harder.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use

My hearing fluctuated a lot when I had my noise trauma. Don't quote me but I think its just the damaged hair cells fighting back. Healing themselves then getting damaged again. My ENT and audiologist did nothing. Not a single thing. Didn't even know what my Hyperacusis was. Didn't mark Tinnitus as a disability. My audiogram showed no hearing loss, I beg to differ since my perception isn't the same. The worlds a little more muffled, and everything isn't as loud. Its slight but noticeable. Very noticeable in one ear since it is worse than the other.

Just because I have no "visual hearing loss" doesn't mean my ears aren't compromised so to speak.

My Tinnitus and Hyperacusis also fluctuated in the beginning. They both settled down now (but is still there) though. However I'm young (17) and everything is going to heal faster and at a larger rate than someone who is older.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Could we return to the topic of the thread? If folks want to talk about their personal situations, you can do that in a thread it support. This thread is focused on research.

• Agree Agree x 6
    12. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I wonder if it's possible to completely remove the stereocilia from the outer hair cells by extreme noise exposure.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    13. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      A sudden extreme loud noise could quite possibly rupture the eardrums which are usually more resilient than stereocilia so perhaps the answer is a resounding Yes

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It is why, in my opinion, that some people after a second loud sound exposure had their T disappeared

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      That makes a lot of sense actually.

16. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Although I imagine that other stereocilia would also get damaged generating other sensory input into the cochlear nerve?!?

17. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      • Informative Informative x 4
    18. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      This is all hypothetical. How do we know they don't have tinnitus? How do we know they won't develop even more severe tinnitus later on?

Contrary to this, I was exposed to a sudden loud noise on multiple occasions. It didn't do me any good. In fact, it was the last exposure that brought it to my attention that I had tinnitus. Because it changed character from a low static noise to a tonal ringing. Up until then I never thought of the static noise I had been living with as being tinnitus. After the last exposure, the static noise was gone and replaced by a tonal ringing, which is still mild. But I bet it will become more sever if I get exposed to a sudden loud noise again. I rather not.

Blasting your ears with loud noises is as good a treatment for tinnitus as cutting the auditory nerve. That is to say, it's not good at all. In the past, some people have actually had their nerve cut to see if that silences tinnitus, but it only made it worse. So no, this doesn't make any sense at all. Don't cut your auditory nerve, and don't blast your ears with loud noises. It won't help. That's what brought many of us here in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Curious what level of improvement.. 10, 20, 50db..?

21. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
    22. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Fortuna Fix! Seeing that it has not been reported earlier, I thought I would at least mention this company.

http://fortunafix.com/

We specialize in Cell Reprogramming and Revolutionary Regenerative Technologies for the next generation of Healthcare

We are developing ethical regenerative medicine solutions to restore neuronal functionality, setting the gold standard for the next generation of healthcare

We are focusing on the largest unmet medical needs and addressing the underlying pathologies to restore full neuronal functionality in patients.

These are some of the bold claims they make on their website. I am still skeptical about this company. It has been around since 2015, but it seems to have been brought into light only recently. It has been reported this month that it has received 25M dollars in series B funding. Some sources suggest that they may be interested in inner ear regeneration, as well as CNS diseases. But there is no mention of hearing loss on their website. So we shall see how this plays out.

"The company is focused on its lead programs in Spinal Cord Injury and Parkinson's disease with further development efforts in Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Hearing Loss and ALS."

Amgen bets on stem cell company Fortuna Fix in $25M round
      Fortuna Fix Announces Series B Financing, Adding Amgen Ventures and Macnguyen Family Office as Shareholders
      Amgen makes regenerative medicine play, backing $25M Fortuna round to move neural stem cells into the clinic

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      If any of those working on this come through, I have a good feeling it'll cure my T. My hearing loss is between 10-20% in a few high frequencies, which explains my current high-pitched T. Sat night, just to see what would happen, I popped in my friends hearing aids (turned way down low), and my T went to zero...gone, nothing, complete silence! After so many years with T, I forgot what silence sounds like...and it's wonderful!! Obviously this is just my own experience, and means nothing in the grand scheme, but it gives me hope just the same. I'm habituated enough that I'm not going to run out and get HA's, plus my hearing isn't that bad that I need them. However, now I'm really wondering about the chronic/acute thing?? My brain didn't have a problem remembering how to hear silence, once lost frequencies were apparently replaced. The HA's were also obviously not tuned for my ears, I just know my buddy lost his high's from a loud PA system. Just wanted to share this with you all...

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Thanks for sharing @swc5150 ! That does seem very optimistic! I also have a good feeling that restoring whatever is damaged inside my cochleas will help my brain hear silence again. Just like in your case, my hearing is still good, and I don't need hearing aids just yet. If things go the way we hope they will with any one of these companies, I never will need hearing aids.

• Agree Agree x 5
    25. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      2001: A Space Odyssey monkey scene

26. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I've posted something similar to this many many times and experimented on myself many different times to know this is true. Yes, it does work like that and yes, there is hope that once your hearing is restored then T goes away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really hope they will find a way to regenerate the hair cells within short time.

But, I am curios on how the brain will react once these cells are active again. Take my case for example; I have been using hearing aids for 10 years now due to a moderate bilateral hearing loss. Today, I am not able to function without my hearing aids as my ears (brain) has become used to the sound they give. If I "suddenly" should start hearing normal again, I think that sounds would be very loud, intrusive and strange to the ears/brain.

I wish for nothing more than to be able to hear normal, and I do hope they find the cure for both hearing loss and T.

• Hug Hug x 3
    28. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think for some reasons the brain quickly adapt to it for some reason. The brain is made for hearing.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    29. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You could be right. As with hearing aids, time and training is needed to be comfortable with the sound provided by the hearing aids. I am just curios how the transition from "artificial" hearing to "normal" hearing will be, but I guess we dont know before its done.

30. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think the change will happen overnight, i expect that the hair cells need to grow, so maybe the brain can easily adapt over time. And hopefully the T will lessen over time.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1