Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Any promising companies coming out with a cure soon or timelines? I have read about frequency and a few others. Is the general consencious that something should be coming out in about 5 or so years from now for hearing loss cure or treatment? Any hopeful timelines been announced? Really need some hope right now.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    2. vaka

vaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss.
      First: I didn't read about anyone from the industry saying that a cure is in near sight. When you are talking about reverting hearing loss, then audions trial is the best candidate for a treatment in 5 years, in my opinion, because they are already conducting a Phase I/II trial. I really believe (thats important, because no facts), that given they can prove effectiveness, they will have an official therapy in 5 years available.

But more important: You have to learn to live with your condition, regardless of whether the therapy comes in 1, 5 or 15 years. As hard as it sounds, the meaning behind that is really simple. You have to stop holding on a condition you don't have. You are constantly changing: your mind, your body, and with that also your health. No condition you have will last forever and in the end you will die. And you can do nothing about that, except to understand that life is working this way. In my experience, once you have accepted your "faith" (in apostrophe, because faith sounds like your condition has a god-given meaning, but it doesn't), you are able to see the wonderful nature of life and feel the joy.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What @vaka says is very important, somebody said on here once and I will always remember it, along the lines of "tomorrow is another day closer to a cure, yet as it is another day closer to your death"
      It was a great saying and made me think to enjoy life regardless.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think the word "cure" should not be overused too much, even an effective treatment for hearing loss and tinnitus - because there isn't one! (That's effective at restoring hearing and quieting tinnitus -there's just managing techniques).

Personally, I would be happy with a safe drug to take that diminished the tinnitus long term - that wouldn't be a cure but it would be a treatment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Ok, let me specify my question a bit more. Is there any companies with some serious timelines out there on when they feel they will be able to bring their product to market that cures hearing loss SPECIFICALLY? Does frequency have a timeline at this point or other companies? I understand that no timeline is certain, but they must have some ideas of when they hope to bring some products to the market.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      No one (ie frequency, decibel, audion) has completed a phase 1 trial yet - in fact they have barely begun them - so the answer is no one knows when something will be on the market. Companies may well have internal absolute best case, perfect world timelines, and you hear things like "5 years" being talked about in press releases and interviews, but that is essentially useless at this stage

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Has there been any releases like that at this point though? I understand things are "best case", but I would at least like to know what they may be saying and I can't seem to find any timelines from them. Is there any out there for those companies? Are they offering any ideas or thoughts on a timeline?

I just would like to hear what they may be saying.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Steven__

Steven__ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, TMJ
      From what I’ve read is that Harvard University And Regain Project both we’re able to bring back hearing in animals and now going to start testing on people. Supposedly they were able to regrow the hair cells with stem cells and some brain cells I believe but another article was talking about how it might become cancer. We’ll see I guess if it would truly work on people and POSSIBLY stop T for some of us. Regain project is still recruiting then Harvard is scheduled in August 2018.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
    9. Steven__

Steven__ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, TMJ
      • Informative Informative x 2
    10. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Let me put it this way. Research/technology works in a way that it has an exponential curve. That means that every bit of research and discovery will help push forward the next wave of research/discovery, and thus our understanding of our problem. Also, every year more and more (especially young children and adults) people get tinnitus and hearing loss at younger ages. All of this means more interest, more research and more money.

Combine this with the exponential curve of the research that is being done, and I honestly think that we will be seeing and effective treatment for managing our condition coming out soon. Note that I did not say a cure. I would also like to add that there already has been an effective treatment (for most) in trobalt/retigabine. Unfortunately, this had too many side-effects, but to say that there is nothing out there is just not true.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mortzcent
      Artistic

Mortzcent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      What about just hearing loss?

I ve read the whole thread on Frequency Therapeutics and they sound confident when talking about trials. My guess is that hearing loss will be curable faster than tinnitus? Would be amazing for somebody like me, who doesnt suffer from tinnitus but is still irritated about hearing loss.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    13. Maruashen
      Woot

Maruashen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014 (increased 10/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss
      If hearing loss could be cured a lot tinnitus/hearing loss sufferers would get alot milder tinnitus symptoms.
      @Mortzcent did you never experience any tinnitus after your loud noise exposure that caused your hearing loss?

• Like Like x 1
    14. Mortzcent
      Artistic

Mortzcent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I am not sure tbh. I think i do have ringing but its very faint, like i cant hear it at all unless i am laying in bed and everything else is silent but even then its faint and mostly unnoticeable which makes me wonder whether its actually tinnitus.

My main concern is hearing loss but my hearing loss is definitely not as bad as some members here but it still puts me in anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. rsmcfar

rsmcfar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/28/2014
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      https://newatlas.com/hearing-loss-hair-cell-regeneration/48036/

Hey guys, have a question. Is this the one frequency is working on? I've read in the article the second step once progenitor cells were grown, to stimulate them with additional drugs to differentiate into mature hair cells isn't needed? From that sight it's really different to audion's approach isn't it? Looks like a lot easier to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      According to the report, this is Frequency Therapeutics yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    19. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Then why is everyone talking about the second step? From the article the first step is just enough. Can anyone explain what the article is missing?

20. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      The article isn't missing anything (though it is old). The goal is 1 treatment that will start a process where some supporting cells differentiate and then some of the differentiated cells become hair cells. See https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...g-loss-regeneration.18889/page-13#post-249079 for a summary of the experiments performed in the paper.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      By the way, the second paper was scheduled to be published this year. I guess it's been pushed back to 2018?

22. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Where did you see that there was a 2nd paper coming?

23. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Papers aren't "scheduled to be published". Once submitted, papers go through a review process that can happen quickly or can take awhile. If you look at the paper from February in Cell Reports, the original draft was received by the journal on December 30, 2015. It was sent back for revision (we don't know when), and the revised paper was received on January 5, 2017. The paper was accepted in its revised form by the journal on January 25, 2017, and it was published on February 21, 2017. So it was about 14 months from the time they submitted the paper until we knew about it. They of course didn't wait until that one was published before they started working on additional papers, but we have no way of knowing where things are in that process.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    25. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I know how the peer-review method works. I publish my own papers in economics journals. Maybe the word "scheduled" wasn't the most accurate one. Either way, the've said a couple of times that they're working on a second paper to be published later this year.

• Like Like x 2
    26. OceanInShell
      Kick ass

OceanInShell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, musician
      Anyone have any info on possible side effects of Frequency's approach?

The thing about stem cells and gene therapy that would always concern me is the dreaded "C" word.
      I feel like if they are confident this won't be a side effect, Frequency's technology seems very promising, and superior to what I've read about GenVec and others (which sounds, at least to me, more like a "one shot" deal).

27. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      "C word" ?

28. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Cancer.

29. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.

yeah...makes sense.... hopefully a non factor...

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/live-well/our-community/our-blog/a-new-breakthrough-towards-preventing-hearing-loss-in-usher-syndrome/?utm_campaign=240293_Soundbite December 2017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Royal National Institute for Deaf People Trading as Action on Hearing Loss&dm_i=45UF,55ET,14ZO5H,K55D,1

New article.

Its interesting that if a defective gene is corrected before hearing loss occurs then you can keep from going deaf later in life. If the hair cells have already died then its too late. I guess we knew that and I think genetic testing in babies is a good idea once the gene editing technologies start emerging.