Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      A novel combination of drug therapy to protect residual hearing post cochlear implant surgery.

"in earlier studies L-N-acetylcysteine (L-NAC), Mannitol, and dexamethasone have been shown independently to protect the HCs loss against different types of inner ear trauma. These three molecules have different otoprotective effects."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26854005

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why is it taking so long for a research lab to inject someone's ear with NT-3 or BDNF and announce what happened?

Why aren't there research labs doing further experiments on IGF-1 which has already been shown to be safe and promising?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Screenshot_20190330-162047_Twitter.jpg
      Wow whooptie friggen doo!!! Can these people actually make meaningful announcements??? Its 2019, where are the advancements? Any of us can search google images for hair cells....

Are they actually doing anything else besides taking pictures? From everything we're being shown and told I feel like all of these researchers are just showing up at work everyday and going "aaaddduuurrrrrp" for 8 hours and then repeating the process the next day.

They have already been successful restoring hearing in mammals. Step two find some humans and repeat the process in them. For the love of God people, are we just being screwed with?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    5. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      This has already been established and announced back in 2012-2013............ what is going on...

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So another question.

Gabby Olthuis committed suicide with the aid physicians because she was being mercilessly tortured by tinnitus. Why couldnt they have tried to inject her ears with one of these compounds that they've tested in rodents before that? This condition is so horrible that they need to be allowed to test things on willing participants. I did it, I'm fine. It's almost as if they are unnecessarily delaying the development of effective treatments for some stupid reason.

Where is the logic? You cant have NT3, BDNF, IGF-1, or a gamma secretase inhibitor because they arent approved but you can take a potion to kill yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
    7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What did you do?

I generally agree as the procedures and regulations are way too slow and held by bureaucracy and red tape (FDA approval, patents, blah, blah etc.).

But, to fast track to one desperate person, because they want a poison to commit assisted suicide? I guess you can ultimately see why governments and researchers won't give the green light for this scenario?

8. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      If you're 18 you can die fighting in a war but you're not allowed to drink alcohol until you're 21...because it's too dangerous. American logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      Could the "Right to try" law help with this?

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I dont.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Everyone will suddenly become suicidal?
      If it didn't work, the public would know.
      Anyway, I generally agree, that they should make exceptions for severe cases but I thought it might open up some issues.

12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont see why the heck not.

I really dont see why it's such a big deal to go to an otolaryngologist and get a couple shots of IGF-1. It's safe, and may be effective in chronic cases. Oh yeah, the FDA wont allow that, but I can go and get a myriad of other risky cosmetic procedures like breast implants, and even have my penis turned inside out into something vaguely resembling a vagina.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You can also kill an unborn baby within minutes before it's birth while documenting the whole abortion on Instagram with 1000's of followers cheering you on, it's their body there choice but the same thing doesn't apply for regenerative medicine to the cochlea. Don't they actually own their own cochlea?

• Agree Agree x 5
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You know, that's a sensitive issue and I didn't want to go there, but you're absolutely right. I am 100% against abortion. It's a travesty.

I just had lunch with a woman that owns a biomedical research company and has many products and I was asking her for advice about how to gain interest in PRP as a treatment for hearing loss and she said I need to write up a paper about my experience and the info behind it. She has dealt extensively with the FDA and she said the same thing we all already know, that they are basically ass dragging pricks that waste everyone's time which makes investors behind life saving interventions lose interest and it's all a circus of looney and inside baseball. This woman wants to talk to me further about this so it's not over with her. That's all fine though because PRP is unregulated and I have a coworker that is friends with an ENT and he told me that he told him about me going to Korea and he was very interested. I'm going to write up my paper and start spamming as many ENTs and otolaryngologists as I can. This doesn't need FDA approval, we just need to get the word out and try and generate interest in this so we can start getting people the help they need. It would just take a handful of ENTs to start reporting success and this would take off like wildfire, especially now with that 3M earplug scandal fresh in the news.

• Like Like x 3
    15. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I'm against third term abortion, but there's more that I really didn't clarify.

Just don't use abortion as a political statement or as a way of neo ethnic cleansing people who have disabilities.

If a woman has serious health issues because of a pregnancy or her life is a risk, if it's rape, incest, or if the baby is severely malfunctioning (this does not include most disabilities) then it's okay, the thing is back in the 90's this is the stance the Democrats had on Abortion, and it was consider tolerable, now #shoutyourabortion on Twitter, Instagram makes it into something to be proud of, it's a political movement that has nothing to do with a women's health.

Abortion wouldn't be a controversial issue if people used common sense, something can be legal under deemed circumstances while having social stigma at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Whoa, nice man. I knew you could garner interest in it.

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's actually just an amazing coincidence that I would meet this person. My mom was going through a divorce and her and her douche bag husband were renting out their very large house while they were still going through court crap and this woman in question rented it for about 2 years and then used my mom as her real estate agent when she went to buy a house and they got kinda close. I need to stop wasting time and get myself together and write up a paper about all of this like she said.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Agatha

Agatha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      And have it published as a case study in a medical journal.

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      screenshot_20190330-162047_twitter-jpg.jpg

I wonder who's inner ear they showed the mouse to.

• Like Like x 1
    20. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      • Informative Informative x 2
    21. Graig

Graig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      What are the chances that tinnitus helps supporting cells survive? Has anybody heard anything to this point? For severe hearing loss I guess its assumed that much of the hair cells and supporting cells are destroyed but is it possible that the supporting cells survive somehow and that tinnitus has some affect on maintaining those cells? Any knowledge or research on this topic?

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But what would be the point? So we can have tinnitus until they invented gamma secretase inhibitors? I get what you're saying though, but maybe supporting cell survival is just happening with tinnitus for no reason?

• Like Like x 1
    23. Graig

Graig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Just looking to see if supporting cells can survive in severe cases for some of these treatments to work.

24. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I know Frequency Therapeutics have claimed that if one is profoundly deaf it also means they won't have a lot of progenitor cells left. But if there is no natural regeneration of hair cells going on I don´t get why that is.

I mean, these are non-functional cells just laying there beneath the surface in the cochlea. Why would they die when exposed to loud noise? Wouldn´t that mean that there is indeed some natural re-generation going on and that these dormant cells gets depleted over time?

25. TeslaGuy
      Studious

TeslaGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The FX-322 increases the amount of supporting cells but what is actually the purpose of these cells like has it something to do with the progenitor cells? Can someone enlighten me.

26. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Supporting-, dormant-, progenitor- and stem cells. Call it what you want. It´s the same thing. And FX-322 does not only multiply these cells. They also grow into new functional hair cells.

We probably have these "dormant cells" as a backup plan from evolution. But the ability for them to regenerate themselves has been lost or is not yet fully developed from an evolutionary point of view.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Graig

Graig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      I just would like a better understanding of to what extent supporting cells are lost/retained based on amount of hearing loss and/or tinnitus. It was stated that if you have profound hearing loss, that you are essentially void of supporting cells but what about Severe, Moderately Severe, Moderate, etc.? Is it possible these supporting cells can survive in significant amounts even after severe damage? These supporting cells seem to be the key to inner ear hair cell regeneration at this time so to me its key to understand what is left after the hearing loss in terms of supporting cells. Doesn't seem like anybody knows for sure and how could they based on so many variables.

28. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have read a lot and I dont think there are any concrete answers to these questions. I also read that if you have profound hearing loss that fx322 would not work, but at what level of loss and for how long? During the Genvec trials they were looking for people with profound hearing loss and that turned the supporting cells into new hair cells. Maybe it didnt work well because there werent enough supporting cells in those people? The results were hit and miss and I'm not sure even they understand why it worked for a few people and not for a few others. Either way I dont think you will get any answers at least not for now.

29. TeslaGuy
      Studious

TeslaGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      What levels of hearing loss the patients had who attended this FX-322 trial? I thought that they believe that with hearing loss only hear cells are lost but everything else is there such as the progenitor cells.

30. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. A pure tone average of 70 dB or greater at 500Hz, 1000Hz, 2000Hz, and 4000Hz in the ear to be injected.
      This is the criteria for the trial.

From what I remember initially Frequency said if you were at a profound stage of loss it would not work. I thought they updated this and said that it might work in a future video. Either way I dont think anyone knows for sure unless someone wants to chime in with any info I have missed.

• Like Like x 1