Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      "And by studying why some cells populations become depleted, the research team may be able to identify a population of cells that do retain the ability to regenerate, and, crucially, to understand why."

So basically they are like 20 steps behind Frequency Therapeutics and asking questions that have already been answered. NEAT!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can anyone give me a straight answer as to why they aren't testing NT-3 on humans since they have proven that it restores cochlear synapses in mice?

Anybody?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    5. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Maybe that's what Otonomy is going to use for the upcoming hidden hearing loss clinical trial?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Its BDNF. That is promising too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      When's the trial?

8. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phase 1 will start later this year I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok thanks, I've been looking on ClinicalTrials.gov and haven't seen anything. If you find a listing, please post.

Thank you so much, I'm super interested and would love to participate.

Daniel

• Like Like x 2
    10. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      http://www.otonomy.com/pipeline/hearing-loss-programs/

OTO-413 (BDNF)
      OTO-413 is a proprietary, sustained-exposure formulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which is a naturally occurring protein involved in neuron growth and repair. Nonclinical studies by Otonomy and other research groups have demonstrated that local administration of BDNF repairs ribbon synapses damaged due to noise trauma or exposure to ototoxic chemicals and restores hearing function. We expect to initiate a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for OTO-413 in hearing loss patients in the third quarter of 2019 with results in the second half of 2020. The initial indication for OTO-413 will be patients with synaptopathy-related hearing loss that is characterized by speech-in-noise hearing difficulty.

• Informative Informative x 6
    11. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      This is the one near term thing Otonomy is doing that I'm very interested in learning the results. Honestly people on this site should be a lot more interested in these nerve targeted products. Shame on all the members here for missing an untapped and less complicated target for new drug candidates. Still while everyone else is asleep at the wheel @JohnAdams and I will be in on these Tinnitus fixing drugs and living the quiet life;)

Also want to see what solution they produce with OTO-613 (hopefully sooner rather than later). OTO-313 is unlikely to work so I've been skipping over mentions of that product.

• Like Like x 2
    12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      OTO-613 has been in research for 5 years and I would estimate that if this is viable, it is still 10-15 years out.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    13. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the info... cheers.

14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      because when the hair cell regenerates it produces chemicals that the nerve sniffs out and then starts forming new connections.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      So Prp would result in new synapses too ?

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, if the end result is better hearing, then wouldn't that have to have occurred?

Besides it's not about PRP, it's about IGF-1 and I can point to multiple studies and multiple human clinical trials that show that IGF-1 can restore hearing as well as proliferate supporting cells, and probably regenerate hair cells. IGF-1 was also shown to be safe in the trial participants.

What blows my mind is that there hasn't been any follow-ups after their very successful results. Also, it hasn't been approved in America for human use, even though it's been shown to be safe. Why can't we have this if we want it? Why is the BTA still focusing on management strategies when their are very clear signs that the ability to cure hearing loss, and thus tinnitus, are upon us now?

Why is everyone just rolling over and accepting that it will take a decade to run all of this through the process? That's nonsense.

And there's other stuff like NT-3 and BDNF. OTO-413 is BDNF. What is the hold up here?

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Because mice hearing and human hearing are not that similar. Actually mice, rats and humans are not really that similar at all but studies are done on them all the time and studies that work initially in mice and rats often fail in human trials.

Mice have a far more dynamic range of hearing up to 100hz than humans so developing a comparable treatment for humans is far more difficult. Add to that that the drug was delivered to mice using a cancer treatment drug to stimulate NT3 proteins and the tested mice only had partial temporary hearing loss whereas in humans the damage to the ribbon synapse is generally permanent, making it that much more challenging to replicate a similar treatment.

• Informative Informative x 2
    18. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Where can I read about your experiences in South Korea?

• Like Like x 1
    19. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/05...se-hearing-loss-through-stem-cell-technology/
      Rinri Therapeutics raises €1.6 million seed to reverse hearing loss through stem cell technology
      Rinri is based on the pioneering work of Professor Marcelo Rivolta, a world leader in the field of sensory stem cell biology. Rinri’s technology is based on innovative stem cell research, and seeks to reverse SNHL through the repair of damage to the inner ear, which occurs when there is damage to the hair cells in the cochlear and/or the auditory nerve.

“I am delighted that the Board has asked me to guide Rinri as we work to transition our exciting preclinical program into the clinic, and to move closer to the realization of an effective treatment for the many patients with SNHL,” said Dr. Chandler, CEO of Rinri Therapeutics.

“We have known Marcelo and followed his ground-breaking research, which was published in Nature, for many years, and are pleased to contribute to the creation of Rinri,” commented Dr Mennerich, Investment Director at Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund. “If the impressive pre-clinical in vivo regeneration data translates to humans, the technology has the potential to be a game-changer in the way SNHL is being treated. We look forward to working with Rinri’s team to support its growth and help further realise the technology’s potential.”

Another player in the race towards hearing loss cure.

• Like Like x 10
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    22. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      We will actually be interviewing Professor Rivolta next week for one of our upcoming Tinnitus Talk Podcast episodes.

Get your questions in before Friday 24th May:

Ask Questions from Marcelo Rivolta, PhD, on Hearing Regeneration and Related Topics

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Hi everyone,

Effects of fasting on future hair cell regeneration. Let’s speculate...

I would like to try fasting. The whole notion of forcing your body to give up damaged or dead (hair?) cells makes sense to me. And not only to me, Yoshinori Ohsumi, who figured this out, received a nobel prize for this research.

I will discuss how to do it safely with my GP next Monday.

Some people even claim autophagy helps for tinnitus! And if it doesn’t, at least my body got a good detox. No harm done right...

In the best case I will get rid of some damaged hair cells debris that is now just taking up valuable space for the new ones that FX or Audion will regenerate.

But then I thought about auditory nerves...

The real magic of hair cell regeneration are the auditory nerves that have shown to reconnect to newly grown haircells. Even after lying dormant after quite some time.

Would autophagy potentially kill these off too?

I know we are just speculating here, but I would love to hear some angles on this.

Do you think fasting will increase or decrease my chance of success for future hair cell regeneration? Or have no impact whatsoever?

24. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I highly doubt dry fasting will regenerate sensory hair cells, but it wouldn't hurt for anyone to try as long as they don't buy snake oil e-books that advocates for this controversial view as if it were fact.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Don’t get me wrong, @Contrast. I don’t expect fasting to grow sensory hair cells in itself, but I do wonder if it could make room in the inner ear for FX & co to do their thing... more as prepwork... Clean out the debris if you will.

But I fear it killing off dormant nerves that we need to reconnect to newly grown hair cells.

If my gp gives an ok, I will consider starting a thread to share any progress or worsening.

• Like Like x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you saying the reason they aren't testing it on humans is because it might not work? Isn't that the point of a test? To find out?

• Like Like x 2
    27. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      In Canada BC Powder is British Columbia Bud. Two very different products.

28. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Don't dead cells get flushed out by the body anyway, like just deteriorate to nothingness?

I can't imagine that being a useful reason to dry fast.

Also some cases of hearing loss has a lot more to do with nerves (just nerves) then it does hair cells dying.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I’ve done both dry and water fasts, it helped the first time I had tinnitus, I’ve since had a worsening (noise trauma) and have only been able to go for a couple of days here and there due to the extreme stress of the new tinnitus.

Fasting induces healing, reduces inflammation, aids with autophagy, increases the body’s stem cell production. It’s safe unless you’re unhealthy, or don’t break the fast properly. How many days are you going? My longest was 8 days only water, it’s a great feeling, you’ll get increased energy, better mental clarity, hunger goes after the first day or so, you’ll shed a couple of pounds, and hopefully get some benefits in regards to your tinnitus. I’m not sure one fast will do a lot unless you are planing on going like a month or so. You might have to start practicing it often to get all the benefits, it takes time.

This is the wrong thread though. There are actually fasting threads, or maybe start another.

• Like Like x 2
    30. Ninix

Ninix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Sorry for my poor skill in this domain but I would like to know after a sound traumatic if we recover ear hair cell automatically the level of tinnitus is decreased