Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yes i get what it is. I think it is used here as well but the doctors dont bother to use it on a patient.

2. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks for responding. I hear fine too. The only reason I would get the hearing aid is for sound therapy, and if I could use it at night without sound for sleeping. I did notice when she turned the hearing aid on without any type of sound therapy on it, I did not hear the T at all. She said that basically that's typical.

I asked the audiologist, so what if I just slept with the hearing aid turned on without any sound therapy so I can sleep without hearing the T. She said the hearing aid would start making feedback (noise). What brand do you have? My biggest issue like a lot of us is sleep. My T during the day is moderate and sometimes I don't even notice it when I am busy. Anyone else use a hearing aid at night? Thanks.

3. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      The test only takes about a minute. The just stick it in each ear. You need almost no skill to do it.

4. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I would not call that a hearing aid myself. A hearing aid amplifies sound. What I think you mean is an ear worn sound generator.

5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Oh you know how the doctors are. Unless you are dying they are not willing to do anything.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      OAE is a proper way to test inner hair cells :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      hello. Just got my mail and started opening up envelopes by hand. It feels like the eardrum inside my left ear tightens up some. I experience this sensation when I close the kitchen cabinet door, dog barks, dishes clanging, etc. H was worse on the onset of T 5 months ago, and it seems to have gotten somewhat better. I know I have hypercusis, but severe? I'll check out the 2020 report, thanks.

8. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      No, I think more like unless they can treat you and make money. My ENT doctor told he could not help me, He said if knew cure he would be rich.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I think the problem is that too few people have a problem with T. If there was a demand, companies would be scrambling to find cure to meet that demand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      The audiologist said it was a hearing aid, but she explained she could put sound therapy on it a use it as a sound generator (this way my insurance will cover the hearing aid. It won't cover Neuromonics, etc.) It could also be used as a hearing aid, which I don't need. But I swear, when she turned on the hearing aid, the T sound disappeared. That's why carlovers post is of great interest to me. He experienced the same when the hearing aid was turned on. But my audiologist said I would get feedback by sleeping with it on.

11. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      The big drop off which you said was in the 10-12500 hearing range.... was that in both ears or one? And are you saying with the hearing aid on and WITHOUT the sound generator on....your T seemed to go way?

12. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      That was in one ear. The other ear is less, and hardly ever rings. Yes, when she turned the hearing aid on, the T seemed to go away. As I tried different things on, she asked how was it, and my T level. I listened for a couple seconds and said that I don't think I hear the T. She smiled and said that's what happens, the hearing aid makes up for your hearing loss which is triggering the T sound. that's why you don't hear the T. The sound generator was not on, just a silent turned on hearing aid. That is why I asked about using it at night so I could sleep. I wonder who else using hearing aids and keeps them on at night (even though my audiologist said not to).

13. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394661132.919944.jpg

Their stock looks pretty good though

Wonder if I can invest?

Imagine getting rid of T and at the same time recieve shitloads of cash

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, they came from 0 to 4 Dollars, but they were in a kind of liquidation and gave up all other
      products, now they have just the hearing loss & balance project left.
      I guess they will try it, because they have their "Adenovirus-Taxi" which is already approved
      and make since to transport the drug to the inner ear.

15. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Patty, she sounds competent and knows what she is talking about. I have a full range of these tests coming up in a few weeks. Also, it is hard to find an audiologist who in addition is trained in CBT and TRT. I would definitely try to stick with her and get yourself sorted out.

16. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi. She was definitely knowledgeable, but when she said she does a mixture of CBT and TRT together, I wondered if that was the right approach. The T clinic was 5 minutes from my home, which is great, but I feel if I go the TRT route I will go to the T clinic in Philadelphia that was recommended by SP.

17. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Wow maybe a hearing aid can completely kill my tinnitus? But that seems like a long shot, my hearing loss is not noticeable. It's just a theory I have as I got T form acoustic trauma, and the ear where my T is louder, i hear less electrical leak from my hard drive (suggests minimal high freq hearing loss)

18. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      You know my hearing loss is not noticeable too, its high frequency loss, and normal for my age. I am going to go back there and try on the hearing aid again, just to make sure the T sound went away when I put in on, and I'm not just nuts. Of course this was only just when I had the hearing aid on. My T sound is not real loud, but I can hear it over the TV at times, etc. Just thought I could just wear it at night to sleep, and maybe use some sound therapy from it during the day. I'll post back when I try out the hearing aid for the second time.

19. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      my audiologist done similiar tests on me but I wasnt pleased with the hearing test he said it was perfect but he only tested up to 6000hz and I suspect my hearing loss is higher than that he also done an OAE test which is the hair cell test we've been talking about which according to him was perfect although the little bars on the screen werent perfect which indicated damage to some degree at least he also done an LDL test for hyperacusis which came back at 80DB

20. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hell fuckin ya!!! ;) thatyl be the day!!!!!!!'

21. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      The first audiologist I went to tested me up t0 8000, and said my hearing was fine. I had to find an audiologist that had experience with T, as they test for the higher frequencies. At least here in the US most audiologists only test up to 8000. So I have high frequency hearing loss, and I hear fine. The problem is the high frequency hearing loss apparently caused the T. I was in there for almost 2 hours. She did a bunch of tests but I am wondering if she gave me the LDL. Maybe she did, I was just overwhelmed with all the info and tests. She did say that when she produced a sound and asked if it was uncomfortable I said yes. She said it was approx. 20 dc above the sound of her talking which was 60 dc. So I guess that makes my LDL test 80 like yours.

She gave me her email address and was nice about it, and said to email her if I had questions.

22. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its always good to have someone helpful and who knows what their talking about an LDL test should involve your audiologist playing a tone or frequency and then slightly increaseing it until you find it uncomfortable they will do this with multiple tones and freguencies.They will take an average from this and that is your LDL score....what she did doesnt seem like a genuine LDL test

23. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      We all lose the very high frequencies as we age, no exception. Wonder if sometimes t can be a result of something else, besides that hearing loss. As we all know, many people don't have t.

24. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Patty .......lets face it if you didnt have the T noise you wouldnt need all these thrapies like TRT etc ,,,they are normal hearing aids and yes sometimes I get a feedback whistle while im turning but I can work it so if I sleep on my side then its no problem and as i say it knocks out the T to such an extent I dont need maskers ,its there but liveable. I do have a volume control as i say soIturn it up to max .

Lisa I used to hang on to that theory that it must be something fixable as not all High freq loss people have tinnitus.Problem is I found out that if you have a hearing graph that looks like a "ski slope" as ent drs call it then you will have T.Strange but there you go.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks carlover for your response. I am going to try out the hearing aid again. Just wondering why hearing aids are not recommended first and foremost if they knock out the T sound so much. If this knocks down the T at night, maybe I'll sleep without meds and maskers.
      I was in touch with my audiologist and explained she did do the LDL test. My score was 65. I was just taking so many tests I did not realize she had done one. Thanks.

26. WendyS

WendyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      This is great Aaron, I would be very interested in hearing more about it, please consider an interview with me after your meeting.

27. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      They are on the NASDAQ if you want to invest. Would be a risky but good investment now if it works out. I would imagine if the treatment works the stock would go from 3ish dollars as it is now to probably 30+.

I suspect if they pass phase I the value will go up, if they pass phase II, the value will really go up. If they fail phase I or phase II, lol, better sell pretty quick.

However, this trial has bigger implications than tinnitus. If they can restore say 20 decibel levels of hearing loss or more, that means people with moderate or mild hearing loss might be able to have normal hearing after treatment.

I think the main questions besides safety are...
      1) Will it restore any hearing at all?
      2) How much hearing will it restore?
      3) Is this restoration of hearing permanent, i.e. they don't want it to restore hearing for only a year than you lose that hearing again.

I'm sure we will know within the next two to three years if this is a viable treatment for hearing loss.

I'm cautiously optimistic though. I realize this technology and research is in its infancy.

It's possible. At www.hhf.org they have a theory on tinnitus and hearing loss. If it's successful at all, then those with hearing loss and tinnitus that undergo treatment will be able to report their results.

28. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I didn't know this forum had turned into an investment board...

Inner hair cells that are "re-grown" will not be of the same quality as the ones we are born with. Hearing threshold with regrown inner hair cells will start at about 20-25 db (the equivalent of slight hearing loss). The treatment would therefore probably only be effective for those with significant hearing loss (as far as I know). However hair cells are not lost in the average 30-40 year old person who is begining to lose some hearing. Instead inner ear hair cells are merely damaged in such cases. And for that, current stem cell and/or LLLT technology will do just fine in repairing the damage.

As for tinnitus, I do not know whether regrown hair cells will tackle the problem. But then Auris Medical is well on their way for a specific solution to that issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown

Hi Jakob,

do you mean, with hair cell regeneration used the GenVec technology or will every regrown hair cell have a 20-25db damping? Or would it be better with stem cell treatment like Stefan Heller or Marcelo Rivolta reseaching?

What do you mean by current stem cell and/or LLLT technology. Is there a stem cell treatment arround for
      hearing loss due to hair cell damage. If so, do you know some outcomes?

Greest tomytl

30. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Hair Cell Regeneration right now is entirely speculative about its outcomes in humans. The notion that regenerating hair cells leads to an improved hearing is entirely speculative too. Researchers believe this to be the case because when birds are deafened and their hair cells are grown back they are able to recognize the same calls as they were before. Hence, the reasoning is this same principle applies to humans. However, this could easily not be the case. There could be some auditory process in the brain that is altered when hearing is lossed.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that a re-grown hair will be diminished in quality if it's exactly like a pristine one. However, this is speculative.

@tomytl He's saying, that imagine you have a 70 decibel loss flat across all the measured frequencies or just some. Then the best you could do is go back to 20 to 25 decibel loss. That is a huge improvement though. But no one knows how much hearing targeted specific regenerative medicine for the ear will restore or what frequencies it might be most effective at.

I'm also not aware of any stem cell or laser therapy that has been able to demonstrate a significant improvement in hearing though.