Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      The question what is the window. It might be 10 years before they fix this issue. This only going to be after acute noise. I already have NIHL in 10 years My hearing might be in bad shape and plus my tinnitus. So will they be able to help?

2. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @DoNotGoGentle somewhere on this planet there be a synaptic treatment in 3 years. It maybe be a copycat Korean treatment of a successful Decibel clinic trial. Or you maybe able to enroll in a Decibel or other companies trial. Something at least mildly effective will be available in 3 years.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    3. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

I agree with you dude, each year science progress increases by x^2.
      Even at the end of 2017/beginning 2018 we'll learn things that we never knew before.
      You know, I forgot about my T during 1 year. Tinnitus came back because I randomly read an article called "Tinnitus" in Facebook. It just came back by reading the word "tinnitus" lmao

So because I thought about it again, I did decide to see what did change during this year where my T was far away.
      And I was surprised that researchs increased like that.

I'll try to do the same process, soooooo good to see science discoveries after one year without thinking about it. Better than come here each day.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      the implant did nothing to quiet the tinnitus. of course i can hear with the implant but its nothing like "normal" hearing like i had for 21 years before being deafened. My neurotologist said to try cognitive behavioral therapy. whats that really gonna do? Tinnitus retraining therapy? I use cd's of masking sounds when it gets really bad. I take some klonopin now and then when i cant sleep and the noises and keeping me up at night. No good to take for long periods due to all kinds of side effects and dependency. I've been dealing with this so long i have to keep praying the thinking and hoping a breakthrough comes sooner rather that later. Plus my boy looks at my speech processor and wonders why he doesnt have one. I will explain to him one day when he can comprehend more. Hopefully a cure is found for both deafness and tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks for the info. Hang in there. I know how hard it can get.
      I don't know that CBT can help you: I guess it depends on the types of issues you have, for example if you are prone to have pronounced cognitive biases that you want to try and correct.

6. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      @RB2014,
      There is a newer post here:
      https://hearinglosscure.stanford.ed...ure-of-fundraising-for-hearing-loss-research/

~ Clifford I. Harris, M.D., Director of Development

There is also another, older, but interesting post concerning diagnostic tools:
      https://hearinglosscure.stanford.edu/2017/02/oghalai-lab-the-past-present-and-future/

~ Prof. John S. Oghalai, MD

• Like Like x 3
    8. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      If this has been posted earlier I apologise. It did not come up when I did a search on TT.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/316921.php
      quote: "In an apparent first, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital investigators have used genetic manipulation to regenerate auditory hair cells in adult mice."

"The findings have implications for a phase 1 clinical trial now underway that uses gene therapy to restart expression of ATOH1 to regenerate hair cells for treatment of hearing loss."

9. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I had read that St. Jude was trying to sell their idea to a big pharma company but I don't know what came of that. Is there any way to find out what the phase 1 trial involves?

10. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      the paper was posted a few pages back. On the positive side, they did sort of regenerate hair cells in adult mice. The sort of comes from the fact that the hair cells were not functional. Additionally, the approach results in the loss of supporting cells. (I think the claim of an apparent first is incorrect as well.)

Yes, they are referring to the Genvec trial. The paper by the St Jude researchers claims to provide an explanation for why some papers find that ATOH1 alone can convert SC to HC and some papers find that it can't. My read is that this is further evidence why that trial is unlikely to be successful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Scotti

Scotti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/80
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just saw the "hands over ears, finger thump back of head" demo on RTM (Right This Minute). Worked for some. One fellow walked away disappointed but called the place where he tried this fifteen minutes later to say that it did work. Other say say no go, some say temporary

12. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you certain? They mention a phase 1 clinical trial now underway. The GenVec trial is already happening.

13. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm not sure I understand: "now underway" = "already happening".

There is only 1 trial underway using gene therapy to manipulate ATOH1 - Genvec/Novartis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could be my English.
      I would have thought that now underway is an indication that the trial is not yet happening.
      But people already have been participating in the GenVec trial. So that trial is in progress/has started.

15. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      "Now underway" means it is happening. They are talking about the Genvec trial.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think this article about Decibel hasn't been posted yet:

New technology that can help the 360 million people with hearing loss
      http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/18/technology-that-can-help-millions-with-hearing-loss.html

Albert Edge, a professor of otolaryngology at Harvard Medical School, is also looking into regenerating cells to restore hearing. But his lab has focused on the hair cells inside the cochlea and the neurons from the auditory nerve connected to it. Four years ago Edge and his collaborators discovered that certain molecular compounds could help hair cells regrow, which led to an improvement in hearing in mice. That showed them it could be done, but the effect was not as dramatic as they would have liked, said Edge.

Armed with more knowledge about how cells regenerate elsewhere in the body, Edge and his team have been exploring how various drugs can encourage the regrowth of hair cells and neurons. Ultimately, drugs, which would likely have to be injected deep into patients' ears, could be tailored to individual needs. "What's attractive about our approach and others like us is that our aim is to restore the ear to what it was," Edge said. The goal is providing alternatives to people for whom hearing aids are not a good option. Edge's work is still limited to Petri dishes and mice, but his team hopes to start some small clinical trials in a few years.

From that piece, it looks like they are far behind Frequency.

• Useful Useful x 1
    17. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Has this been posted?

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03...earing-loss-regenerating-hair-cells-inner-ear

Would any of you guys sign up for the trial? Its in 16 months. I mean in theory it seems to be the absolute cure but what if it makes things worse? Seems very promising.

In the laboratory, the team applied the molecules to progenitor hair cells from the inner ear — to great effect. “We were able to obtain very large populations of hair cells,” Karp says. “We demonstrated that they had functionality — you know, really bona fide hair cells. And we demonstrated this for tissue from mice, nonhuman primates and even human tissue.”

18. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      "In five to 10 years, they plan to start testing a few drug compounds on humans."
      What?? While I appreciate what Dr. Heller has done with this timeline he probably will be outpaced by others in this field. Its nice to think if nothing is successful his work will be useful. But I think its very improbably that someone just starting human testing in 5-10 years will not be in way back of this race. Also this isn't just dependent on people working the ear field. Research into neurogenesis by people working on others parts of the body can be applied in a tailored fashion to the inner ears.

This article only mention Albert Edge not Decibel Tx. But yea it does seem like they aren't gearing up for a trial in mid 18 rather I would guess they are targeting early 19.

19. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      There are generals and there are soldiers. 10 years is indeed too long.

20. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Decibel shared the article on Twitter:

I guess it's what they're working on.

By the way, looks like they have just moved to their new offices:

Yes, it's Frequency Therapeutics.

21. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      ok thanks!!

I'm glad their move is done. I had though that this was the reason their research and testing had slowed. Hopefully they can get cranking with this new facility.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What gave you that impression?

It has, by me and others.

Seems promising, doesn't it? But what if it "makes things worse"? Would you do it?

Who said they would start a trial in mid 2018? You might be confusing them with Frequency Therapeutics.

23. DoNotGoGentle

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am thinking Decibel is in stealth mode. When we hear from them it will be big news!

24. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm curious as to where you heard this.

25. DoNotGoGentle

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry I just believe they are seems like we have heard more from Freq tx then them.

26. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Just checking in the event I missed something. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      The article below mentions both companies having clinical trials in 18. Obviously it was a guess but at the time I couldn't be certain it wasn't an educated guess.

But now, two emerging biotechs, Frequency Therapeutics and Decibel Therapeutics, are developing drugs to remedy hearing loss. These efforts will most likely not reach the clinic before late 2018, but the companies have a lot of motivation.

http://medcitynews.com/2017/01/biotech-startups-hearing-loss/

28. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Somebody changed their tune!

0099.jpg

29. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think we will find a ???
      Is this a link that perhaps does not work in certain regions?

30. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      its from this video posted Feb 5, 2014
      A Cure for Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Is...

• Like Like x 1