Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Hearing Restoration Project: A promise to...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4513558/

Re-reading your post and the frontiers paper I'm a little confused on why Affichem or another company isn't also exploring GDNF, Glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factors. In their study this growth factor seemed to both increase SGN density and the functionality of the SGNs. It maybe that Affichem wanted only an non-peptide product? Still it with these results and the development of growth factor NeuroD1 by Dr. Gong Chen it feels like the hearing restoration lab community is weirdly leaving promising neurotrophic factor options on the table and not continuing their development. Maybe its an over emphasis in funding and effort on hair cell recovery??? Is that a plausible explanation or is there some other biological reason to not try these factors in mice/primates and then humans? Better diagnostics like uOCT that could determine exact levels of hair and synaptic losses in the average hearing loss patient would be immensely valuable right now.

3. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Yes. I agree. I can not make sense of it any more. Professor Heller mentioned 100 years also.
      Perhaps he wants to discourage people that contact him for participating in clinical trials.:dohanimation:

4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Here's a question for you guys

Let's say you have t in one ear or both and no hearing loss (or at least not measurable) and you think it was brought on by loud noise. If it became available would you qualify for treatment? Would it help?!

5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

This is a thread to talk about new research, not hypotheticals about nonexistent treatments. Perhaps you should start a thread in support for a topic like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Aaron, I am talking about new research, asking opinions if this research materialised into treatment, then what sort of patient group it would cover. Asking whether if people thought it would be useful whether there no obvious hearing loss present, what are there thoughts it could treat tinnitus through noise exposure with no noticeable hearing loss.

There are members on this forum with varying degrees of hearing loss and those with no detectable loss and this is a very valid question regarding this research.

Also, I am aware the main aim of this research is to reverse hearing loss however this being a tinnitus forum, and tinnitus and damaged hearing cells seem to go hand in hand, offers validity to my questions and speculation from people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

You don't mention any specific research, and until relatively recently this was a thread to talk about actual research not opinions about inclusion criteria in unannounced trials (which of course precede any treatment).
      There's plenty of discussion about this in the Frequency Therapeutics thread.

8. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Are any of these companies attempting to repair auditory nerve damage rather than just hair cells? As I'm understanding it, auditory nerve damage is much more sensitive to noise and is damaged first before any inner hair cells? Hence why we those who have tinnitus and no measurable loss (hidden hearing loss)

Shine some light here I'm way behind.

9. RockyDoctah
      Happy

RockyDoctah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure...Bad ear infection?
      Something like this seems very possible, I bet it won't be long until we get something like this.

10. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      That is what Rivolta "claims" to have achieved in an animal model. Strictly speaking, its not an ear disorder per se, but a neuropathy that prevents normal auditory information from reaching the brain.

11. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection
      Company called Decibel :)

• Like Like x 1