Intermittent Banging Tinnitus Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by Barbara Hughes, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/96
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Does anyone else have an intermittent banging form of tinnitus? I have experienced ringing on and off for many years and have managed to basically deal with it/tune it out. This past month has produced several types of intermittent banging or methodical tapping noise that are literally driving me NUTS! Cannot seem to find a way to ignore them.

Already trying white noise of various different types with not much success. I can literally feel motion in the inner ear when this is going on.

Having a CT scan next week to see if there is an issue with the temporal bones. ENT said it could be muscle spasms. Any suggestions?

2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      @Barbara Hughes
      Hi, I hope that your problem has been resolved or lessened.

That is what I was told, that it was likely muscle spasms which affected the inner ear bones. It sounded like somebody knocking at the door. Fortunately, this has stopped, along with many other disturbing symptoms.

If you're reading this, I'd like to ask if you're still experiencing the knocking.

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I experienced this several times, usually when falling asleep. Sometimes it would be a banging/explosion like noise. Other times it would be like a man yelling. I don't think it's a problem with your temporal bone.

Your experience of feeling motion when this is occurring also makes me think it has nothing whatsoever to do with your temporal bone and more to do with the inner ear. Go get a second opinion before you expose yourself to up to 200 times the amount of radiation of just one chest x-ray.

"CT emits a powerful dose of radiation, in some cases equivalent to about 200 chest X-rays, or the amount most people would be exposed to from natural sources over seven years. That dose can alter the makeup of human tissue and create free radicals, molecules that can wreak havoc on human cells."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...ising-dangers-of-ct-sans-and-x-rays/index.htm

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/96
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was referred to an otolaryngologist. They performed an ECOG. That test determined that the fluid in my inner ear was out of balance, having too much sodium. I have been in a low sodium diet for almost 2 weeks. Also prescribed diuretics. The doctor said it might take as long as 6 weeks to see some relief. But at least there is hope. There is also the possibility that my other recent tinnitus symptoms are related to this condition.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Josh_

Josh_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, I guess. Was previously mild, now worse. :(
      How are things working out for you, Barbara? I think my new elevated level of tinnitus is related to sodium levels as my ENT found no evidence of damage to cause it and suggested it among other things. I went low sodium for a few days, I wasn't sure if it helped, but then when I had a couple of retirement parties and ate whatever I wanted, it soon became clear to me that that was it! Potassium intake also helps regulate sodium levels.