Intermittent, Mild Stabbing Pain in Both Ears for a Few Seconds at a Time — What Is This Pain?

Discussion in 'Support' started by HeavyMantra, Mar 28, 2019.

1. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Recently I've been experiencing intermittent, mild stabbing pain in both ears. Hurts for a few seconds at a time. Not related to external sounds. Anybody recognise this? The ENT didn't have anything to say about it nor my ear pressure, surprise surprise...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Since you list possible neck problems, swollen glands in the neck is very high on the list for mild stabbing pain in both ears. If the glands are cause, then you might get a low tone in your ears from turning neck. Sometimes swollen glands within the neck are also associated to a sore throat and sinuses, but they too can give mild stabbing pain in both ears.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know if it's neck related, but I have had a lot of neck pain and tension since the T started. I honestly have no idea what caused it, and the ENTs have absolutely no interest in trying to help me find the cause. The T appeared during a cold when my throat was sore.

I only have very high pitched T, turning my neck in extreme ways makes the tone change slightly.

Any tips on where I should turn with this? No more ENT visits I think, they seem useless

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      You may still have a cold virus infection that's causing an ear canal disturbance with muscle/nerve contraction. This could cause neck soreness/neck glands from fluid travel and then muscle contraction of the ears. It would be the ear muscles and nerves causing your problem, not fluids by themselves.

Have you had a CBC blood test done to check EBV antibodies - immune system imbalance?

Also any on going allergies from simple things such as dust.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had some kind of general blood test but for my joint problems, no signs of anything wrong.

I have dust allergy yes, and previously lived in a water damaged apartment. Presumably was some black mold exposure but I didn't really have a lot of symptoms so maybe not

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      your body is expecting noise and pre-reacting. This is typical when one has hyperacusis.

The stabbing pain can be related to pressure plus certain facial movements, like smiling, frowning, etc. Movements of face and neck, the facial nerve, it is all related and complicated stuff. It would be certainly hard to pin down exactly the cause of the stabbing pain.

7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi Heavy Mantra.

Is it possible to get some quality massage to your neck and base of skull. Could you have the hospitals in Sweden pick up the bill? Try sacro cranial therapy....i.soothing and relaxing massage to the areas that are stressing you. I actually get my ears massaged, by someone I trust, it seems to help. My tinnitus is noise induced, I think you would gain more benefit from this kind of therapy.

Peace