Interstellar The Movie

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cullenbohannon, Apr 27, 2015.

1. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Im curious if anyone saw Interstellar and what they thought of it? I saw it recently and loved it. First thing i ever wanted to be was an astronaut so it was really cool seeing what space travel might be like.

More specifically i wonder what you all think about space travel, things like worm holes, different universes, time travel, and string theory if anyone is familiar with it at all.

• Like Like x 1
    2. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Was Ok, not going to watch it again in my life time tho. And I love cosmic stuff; nothing beats Kubric's and Scott's epic movies. Imho.

I did not get why they sent the main character to save the human race. It was obvious that he can jeopardy the mission with his ignorant mindset. Visually the movie was great.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I thought Space odyssey was great, also some of Scotts films not all,

I suppose it was to make the plot a bit more complex, most people i ask thought it was ok, I think i like it so much because theoretically a lot of the stuff that occurs actually can happen, and theres a lot of crazy stuff that goes down.

4. chamferman
      Musical

chamferman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/ 2013
      I love Sci Fi especially films that you watch and think yes I could really see the future ending up being like that, and you feel you've glimpse a bit of the future . This film wandered into the path of pure fantasy for me and I thought it was well over rated.

Some critics were placing this right up there with Clarke and Kubrick Space odyssey, no chance

My favourite Sci Fi films are 2001 space odyssey, The Abyss, Blade runner, Dune, AI, Close encounters, First contact, The fifth element , The first Star wars, Alien

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I love it! also `Gravity` is amazing :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014

SPOILER ALERT So im going to talk about specific things in the film, if you haven't seen it and want to, don't read the post below.

If you don't mind me asking is there anything specific that comes to mind? The movie was written along with Kip Thorn who is a major physicist. Also i read into and researched a lot of the topics and many scientists' were, for the most part happy with the science of the film. Practically we cant do most of what occurs but theoretically many scientists think that a lot of it is possible.

For example, time dilation, is a very real thing that we can measure here on earth so the scene where they are on the first planet, the time dilation is very possible.
      Wormholes also are theoretically possible, the cryo-sleep stuff im not very sure about, I did think that the black hole scene at the end was a bit off, but if the black hole is massive enough its possible to go through it for a bit before all the fun stuff starts to happen.

The stuff that occurred in the black hole is not really something we can comment on either way, even theoretically with our current understanding of physics, especially if they are being of a higher dimension because they may have a different set of laws of physics then we do as well as advanced technology.

• Like Like x 2
    7. chamferman
      Musical

chamferman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/ 2013
      My reasons for thinking this film wandered into the path of pure fantasy

· In the film they travelled faster than the speed light. It would biology impossible for humans to travel faster than the speed of light; they would have been ripped to shreds.

· On the first water planet we were told gravity on this planet is 130% of that of Earth’s. If you landed on that planet surely that amount of gravity would crush you

· How did future humans first survive to make a Tesseract – given that there would have been no Tesseract to save them?

· The politically correct blight, it should have been a global warming issue.

· The power of love saved the day! Please pass me the sick bucket this is a Disney movie in disguise!

· He haunts his old wrist watch and then taps out the secret to the universe in Morse code, come on what’s that all about?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey @chamferman thanks for the reply.
      They actually don't travel faster than light. Christopher Nolan and Kip Thorne argued about this for a while but Thorne didn't want it in the film because its not possible.

High gravity probably wouldn't literally crush you, but im sure it could present some problems. There was a study done in the 60s or 70s where they had chickens living in 2.5 times earths gravity, and they lived that way for months. They came out with stronger muscles, bones, and much less fat.

Definitely agree with the rest. Also i think the time dilation of the 7 years per hour was over extremely over exaggerated.

9. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Interstellar's good, but it doesn't top Kubrick's 2001 which was as abstruse in its direction as it was in it's overall mystery. Interstellar, on the other hand, felt more like a standard popcorn flick with some heavy-handed sci-fi ideas weighing awkwardly on it.

• Like Like x 1
    10. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Dune....whoa, you really have to be major space nerd to love that movie :blackalien: (y)I liked it of course, not because of the "major space nerd" part, i'm maybe a little, but for being a huge Lynch fan. Just surprised that someone loved it.

Interstellar, in my book goes to the same category as "Contact". Something i'm cool watching with my daughter when she will be 13 y old.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Ok I have wanted to see it but heard something about the sounds from this film were horrific..Just in theatre I take it?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Yeah theaters get quite loud. I haven't been to a theater since my t started. I waited till it was out on DVD. You should be fine at home you can set the volume as low you need.

13. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Yes very good movie.. Its mostly dialogue so very low but be careful there are scenes that amplifies sound so louder it shook me the first scene after that i had my remote ready to lower the volune when i knew scenes like that were coming and having it on subtitles helps too..