iPhone Speakers Maximum Volume?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rust, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      Hello there,

I was wondering if any of you had tested the iPhone speakers (i.e music playing) at maximum volume?

There are tests on YouTube where it is stated that there at are as loud as around 105db!! However when you look at these tests you can se the Db meter is sitting right next to the speaker.

In real life, you are more likely to be holding the phone at a distance of about 50cm from you, which I would imagine would make the result much different to 105db.

Speaker Volume Test: iPhone 6 Plus vs 6 vs 5s...

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because I was standing outside with some friends at a quiet pub the other night (no earplugs), and my friend standing next to me (0.5-6m) kept playing songs on his iPhone at max volume. It wasn't too loud, but it did feel a bit irritating. At the time I thought it could no way be doing damage surely.

I however have felt a spike for the last few days in the ear that was facing him. I hope it recovers, as I make sure to protect my ears at everything. Now Ive read this 105db stuff and I'm starting to worry again.

Anyone measured their iPhone speaker from 0.5-6m or so away?

Thanks,
      R

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Rust

Interesting as your post is I advise you to be careful of reading too much information about noise levels and tinnitus and the use of earplugs. The overuse of earplugs can cause a lot if problems. Making the auditory system more sensitive to sound making hyperacusis worse. Also reinforcing the negative thinking that normal "everyday " sounds in the environment are harmful and earplugs are necessary, they are not. Try and put these things behind you. Go out and have a nice time, of course be careful but try not to be overly concerned about these things.

I wish you well
      Michael

3. Andy02

Andy02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud sound
      I have a decibel meter and have tested my iPhone 12 speaker. It definitely can put out sound at the 105 dB to even 110 dB range right up against the speaker.

4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Wish there was a way to prevent the phone from blasting so loud.