Is It Alright to Wear Headphones for Gaming?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I’m new to tinnitus and currently my tinnitus is very mild. I read here that you should at all costs avoid wearing headphones at any volume level.

Why is that so?

I don’t want to let this affect my life this much as it makes all the games I play completely unplayable as hearing your surroundings and where they are located exactly is critical in the games. I just don’t see how it will make it worse or why I wouldn’t be able to do so.

2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      It is thought by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people here, that if the tinnitus was caused by acoustic trauma, then headphones should be avoided completely. I stopped using them, as my tinnitus was likely caused by loud noise, and likely genetics and age, as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Some people in here are quite extreme when it comes to headphones.

I don't know of any scientific evidence that shows that headphones per se are dangerous (ironically, they are often the tool of choice to administer tinnitus sound therapies). However, there is plenty of evidence that loud noise/sound leads to negative outcomes when it comes to hearing. So whatever you use to feed sound to your ears, make sure it's not loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      That depends if you want to make your tinnitus worse. If you desire to make your T shoot up to moderate-severe and extreme levels then do it, but let me warn you Severe T is not a game, you dont know what hell that is. on top of that you are risking getting hyperacusis, visual snow, and eye problems as well. Tinnitus is a brain disorder and if you increase it in volume you will cause more damage.