Is It Common/Normal for Tinnitus to Fluctuate/Change Volume Throughout the Day?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sanj100, Oct 18, 2017.

1. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys.

Had two quick questions for you all...

1) Is it common/normal for tinnitus to change volume throughout the day?

2) Does this mean that habituation will be harder?

Mine is often low and then for no apparent reason gets louder at a random point of the day then low again, then louder a little later.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Sanj.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Mine changes throughout the day with no real pattern that I can discern. It's calmed down somewhat now and is pretty constant these days compared to what it used to be... It was pretty crazy and changing several times daily about a month ago. There have been times when it changed gradually and times when it changed abruptly.

I've seen plenty of other stories from people who have tinnitus that changes from time to time, both in terms of volume and the actual type of sound being heard. Some people have a daily pattern that it follows. Not sure if it is "normal" but it is certainly not unusual.

Tinnitus is weird.

Will it mess with habituation? I consider myself pretty well habituated. However, while it still changes, my tinnitus is rather mild at this point, I don't think that I'm a good case study there...

3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      yes its normal. in my opinion its a good thing. mine fluctuates and the range has gotten better and better over time. Also @sanj100 - "tinnitus since" means the date. "2 months" is like saying "I parked next to the red car". I'm not trying to be a jerk - I did look to see how long you've had this for, and it's unclear. For me at 2 months (or maybe its 3 by now ;) ) my tinnitus fluctuations were tremendous.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey Sanj,

It is common for mine to change in volume on one side during the course of the day. If I take even a short nap my T will often become louder on one side. When that happens it usually remains that way for the rest of the day. It never works the other way. That is, if my T is already loud on both sides when I lay down to take a nap, I never wake to find it has reduced to a moderate level on one or both sides.

I don't know if that fact makes habituation more difficult for some. It didn't for me.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Sanj,
      Yes its quite normal for tinnitus change in sound and strength and in one or both ears and head.
      Always get checked out though ...love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for this, it really helps..

I noticed you've had tinnitus for 30 plus years. How long have you been habituated for? Also, if habituated, what brings you to this forum?

Sanj.

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I've done a lot of research on changing volume and T moving from ear to ear. Expert opinions include: Something may be off balanced as with the cervical spine - C disc or any muscle. Most muscles are paired, one on each side. Activision of the jaw bone on bad side.

Nerves, fluid in ear or problem with ear could cause ringing to increase during a period of time. Posture, neck or jaw imbalance. Certain diseases that cause tinnitus.

The reasons are endless, but common.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I habituated easily and many years ago because my T started out at a moderate level for the first few years. After that it began to fluctuate between moderate and loud. It was sometimes annoying/bothersome. However, I was too distracted to dwell on it or be self-absorbed because by that time I had a wife, three children, a job and home to maintain. That did not leave me much time to think about it.

In 2014 my T increased to a very severe and what some refer to as a debilitating level. I simultaneously developed Hyperacusis during that time. I did not even know what was happening to me. I had never heard of Hyperacusis before. So, it was while I was searching on the internet to find out what the symptoms I was experiencing indicated, I discovered the forum and found the answers that I was looking for.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, really sorry to hear what you've gone through.

What made it go from moderate to debilitating? Usually there is a trigger..

Also, have you tried hearing aids? Or any cbt or trt?

Thanks.

10. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Two simultaneous and sustained very stressful situations were the initial cause. Then, because the extremely severe spike lasted for months along with the Hyperacusis, I thought it was my new and permanent baseline. Believing this to be the case greatly increased my level of anxiety and depression.

Fortunately, with time and an AD, I pulled out of it after four months. As my anxiety and depression slowly subsided my T eventually went back to it's previous level and the H faded and eventually was gone. That was three years ago.

Yes, I do wear hearing aids and have worn them even before this happened. No, I didn't try either cbt or trt.

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      1) For me it fluctuates during the day. It is low in the morning then it gradually increases during the day.
      2) I am afraid I don't have the answer to this question. Time will tell..

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems to me like you have a strong anxiety-tinnitus connection and for that reason I reckon something like meditation or CBT would really help to calm your nervous system and thus your tinnitus. Both things are scientifically proven to robustly lower anxiety and stress levels for the long term.

13. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Well, as I previously stated, that was a few years ago. Right now, I don't have an anxiety issue. Should I experience something similar in the future, I'll consider your suggestions. I'm better prepared for something like that now because I now know that spikes can last that long. So, I won't make things worse for myself should I experience a prolonged spike again by presuming it's my new baseline

Thanks for trying to be helpful.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Noticed your tinnitus is very recent and through noise exposure. You have a really good chance of it going away, but I'm sure you've been told that quite a few times already haha.

• Like Like x 1
    15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup, I been told that but I doubt it. I am hopeful that it would go away, but i have a feeling I that it will stay for good.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What makes you think that. Have you suffered from any anxiety/OCD/depression before the onset of this tinnitus? I ask because often it's those feelings that make us think negative things.

17. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope, I was very very happy before this. Damage has been done, it is unlikely that it will go away for good. I personally think that it will fade a bit and I will get used to it. It will perhaps take 2 years or so for this to happen. How did you get your Tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1