Is It Possible to Get Rid of the Blocked Ear Feeling?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Evian, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I've done a fair bit of reading on here, but can't tell if it's possible to get rid of the blocked ear feeling that comes with tinnitus. It feels like inflammation and if I ice it it sort of goes away a bit, but as soon as the ice wears off its back bad as ever. I can't tell if it's making the T & H worse if it's out of it or if it's independant.

I've seen ENTs and as you can imagine I would rather get help from here due to their response to tinnitus

2. MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Hi Evian

Has the blocks ear feeling gone?
      I've had mine for 4 months now:(

3. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't think a blocked ear feeling is tinnitus related but rather the other way around. t does not cause that but a blocked or pressured ear could cause the t. So it would depend on what the blocked feeling was coming from. Some people who have tried extremely low salt diets have found their blocked feeling went away but I think it's those suffering menniers. Could you have that?

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Tinnitus and the loss of hearing can give you the impression that your ears are blocked, very common. If you have lost part of your hearing, or T is interfering with your hearing, it's same sensation as blocking the ear.

I feel like my ears are stuffed up with noise, they feel blocked 24 7.

5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I've had a blocked ear feeling on and off ever since I first got my T.

I had a load of tests and confirmed there was nothing wrong etc. I think that a lot of it is to do with the muscles around the neck area that link up towards the ear (personal thought rather than a researched one), they are tense due to the associated stress and can cause a blocked feeling.

When I go to the gym I nearly always come out with a blocked ear feeling due to the muscle strain, it gradually fades away though. I have poor posture, prone to over-relaxing myself and getting knotted muscles in the neck and scapula - when I get a sports massage I can feel the link to the ear and head as they push the knots out.

It's worth looking at anti-inflammatory foods as some on TT have had successes with them and also at the tension you carry in your neck and shoulders.

• Informative Informative x 1