Is It Safe to Go to a Bar/Club with Long-Standing Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Flamingo1, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Hyperacusis is rough. I stayed out from loud places until that had resolved. That said - I live in NYC - so it's kind of hard to not be exposed to loud at least a little. Perhaps that helped desensitivise me? I dunno.

2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Tried to desensitivise my ears. Didn't work... or hasn't so far... my hyperacusis is highly likely here to stay.

3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      There is an office party at work this evening. Meanwhile I am sitting at home eating myself stupid while people party and have a good time. Next week I am gonna have to listen to my colleagues talking about all the fun they had... and I am gonna be left out of those conversations.

Yeah, it certainly is a shit life. Wish it were possible for me to go out, but it's not. I ask myself every single day if going on is really worth it or if I should just call it quits... as of now I am undecided...

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      How about you stay respectful towards the people that are in that position? They don’t want to live like that. You were lucky and got better but not everyone does. And it's not about not wanting to go out, for many those things aren't a choice as the risk is simply too high.

"An even more significant finding that has historically been neglected is the issue of setbacks from new noise exposures. When asked, ‘how often does the participant have a setback that makes their condition [pain-hyperacusis] worse?’, 36% indicated at least weekly and only 25% responded with rarely or never. This setback makes the sufferer’s condition ‘moderately worse’ for 50% and ‘worse than it ever was’ for 23%. Figure 3 shows the results for the question, ‘how long does it take for the participant to recover from a setback?” Recovery takes days for 59% and weeks for 24%. Recovery is also proportional to the loudness and/or duration of the impacting noise." - source

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you still go to bars with ear plugs? Like the upscale ones for 20s-30s crowd that can get quite loud but not as loud as a nightclub?

Should I wait at least a year before considering going to any bar for a test run? With plugs.

You seem to take tinnitus as serious as one should. I just hope there’s still room for some loud noise after recovery with hearing protection.

I can never go to a club again and be happy but I like socializing at somewhat loud bars and hope to be able to return in a year with plugs. Without repercussions!

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Nathan had recently posted a relevant meme in MPP thread
      3942f855-1e63-4a44-bbb0-370de766829a-jpeg.jpg

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      No I dont go to bars or clubs any more and I used to work in Vegas before I had T! I don't miss it and i am glad i never need to go back there. There are other places to socialize that has good people and good conversation: book clubs, wine tasting, fashion week, charity, political campaigns etc. these are good places to meet like minded individuals.

I think it is too risky to be somewhere like a club for too long, add in alcohol and impaired judgement and you get a cocktail for disaster. There are plenty of stories here of people getting wasted and then getting too "loose" and end up with permanent spikes.

9. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Damn, I should probably follow your example. I loved socializing in bars. I might test my luck in a year or two and leave as soon as the music gets bumped up. Looking fly with my earplugs.

My T is currently fading and I hope to god I can get to “can only hear it faintly in a quiet room” in a year. Or far stretch: silence.

I guess once you’ve got T you’re forever at risk of it getting worse. So gotta live a quiet life to avoid HELL torture forever.

I’m 29 btw so I take this stuff very seriously now 4 months in. I have a while to live with this condition.....I want it to be as quiet as possible

10. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I think it all depends on what is more important to you. Not saying your partying days are over, but with time and healing you will be able to live normally again. Just know your limits is what I like to say to myself lol

11. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What ended up happening to Johan? That’s quite a scary cliffhanger. Also he didn’t give himself time to recover first! My friend didn’t go to metal concerts until 1.5 years of healing.

I guess I’d stop at the point that I was going to bed with louder tinnitus.... which is probably inevitable because my friend with mild tinnitus from his teenage years went clubbing (rare for this guy) and said yeah it got louder afterwards for the night.

12. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I came down with severe Photophobia, primarily from computer screens and phones. So I have basically been offline for 6 weeks now. Just received an e ink moniter (like Kindle) and I am able to surf a bit now.

I think my brain has gone haywire since my H became severe because of the stress and anxiety. I have alot of other strange symptoms related to pain that does not go away.

Still alive though :)

• Hug Hug x 1