Is It Safe to Press the Tragus Down?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Red, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Pressing down on the tragus is the only feasible option for me when there is unexpected loud noise. I don't always have earplugs on me and I have yet to find an earplug that really works for me anyway. But I have begun to wonder if it is really safe. Searching for threads on it hasn't come up with anything conclusive. Today I was in Home Depot and the sound of the forklift in there was unbearable. I couldn't just do nothing so I pressed down on my tragus until it stopped. I got a tension headache immediately after and ever since I've had a spike.

Next time, I should remember to slowly release my fingers so that the pressure change isn't sudden. What do you guys think? Is it damaging?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I believe the damage is done as a result of you behaving as if you are protected, while not even getting the protection of moderately effective ear plugs.

You might want to consider carrying Peltor ear muffs with you wherever you go (that you could wear over ear plugs). Of course it would still be sensible to run away from the noise and not just to stand around wearing ear plugs while the noise is damaging your ears. In other words, the reason for ear protection is to protect you while you are running away from the noise.

3. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I didn’t know earplugs were only designed to use whilst running! Are you referring to people generally (with healthy ears) or just those with tinnitus? I know earplugs aren’t 100% reliable and there is a lot of skepticism over the effectiveness of them but I find if I’m wearing hearing protection and the noise sounds quiet then I’m okay. One thing I won’t be doing is blocking my ear canal with my tragus. I don’t think mine fully covers it anyway!

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was talking about those who are already experiencing tinnitus, whose ears have been compromised. The way I see it, so much is at stake (a life-long disability that results in a significant reduction of the quality of one's life, or even something that might eventually drive one to suicide) that it makes sense to try to avoid noises.

It sounds like a reasonable policy (based on you listening to the signals sent to you by your body). But please keep in mind that noises often become louder. For example, I knew that even though metal shopping carts are loud when a large number of them is being moved, my ears (protected by ear plugs) seem to be able to handle that noise. But one time a worker who was moving the carts decided to turn them 90 degrees. As luck would have it, he did it when he was close to me, and also he did it fast, dragging all of the wheels on the pavement. That was 10 times louder, and had resulted in a spike for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is:

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the irony. I was going in there to buy ear muffs and ear plugs but ended up being exposed to noise in the process.

You didn't answer my question though.

6. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      No.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      :(

If you do it in a quiet room, you can do it many times and you will not damage your ears.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What I'm getting from this is that pressing on the tragus doesn't actually help anything. However, I found it to be more effective than any earplug I've bought so far. I do need to cut out doing it so much, though. I don't care for the tension headaches it gives me.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In this case, no. I do get what I believe to be tension headaches from certain noises. I wish I could give more of an explanation but it's just what I perceive from doing it so many times. I really hesitate to call them "tension headaches" because I don't really feel any pain, just pressure. But I suppose it's close enough to that definition.

EDIT: Ah, I appreciate recommendations but I cannot stand foam. I just can't get them to stay in. Unfortunately, I was in such a rush to leave that I never got the earplugs I wanted. But after today I know what kind I want. Something that I can quickly insert, pull out, and hang around neck.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you inserting them the right way? There are YouTube videos out there that provide instructions...

12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      If yyou press hard on the tragus, and release quickly you can theoretically create a suction which can place traction on your drum. We have examples of people here (and one I know personally) where tinnitus and hyperacusis were set off by being simply kissed on the ear, which is not all that different in negative pressure terms.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I do agree with trying to avoid loud noises, certainly if I haven’t got my ear plugs with me, I do panic, and carry them around with me in most situations. Personally, I do feel a lot more comfortable when I do have them. As for the effectiveness of them, it’s a debate that could go on and on.. I’m certainly not going to tell people they are 100% safe if they wear them, and I know there have been instances where people thought they were being protected but weren’t. I think some people are more susceptible than others.. Unfortunately in life, it seems there are no guarantees and you can only protect your ears the best you can to give yourself a better chance. All I know is, since i’ve started wearing ear protection, my tinnitus hasn’t got any worse. I remain to be cautious! Tinnitus can turn the calmest of all people into the most paranoid freak (with good reason).

• Like Like x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree.

15. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Right.

Order these earmuffs:

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Shotg...id=1510209793&sr=1-2&keywords=peltor+neckband

They are slender, black and have a neckband, so people who glance in your direction will believe its some kind of head phones, and won't care. Especially if you get yourself clothing with hoods, You can carry the earmuffs whenever you go outside.