Is It Safe to Use Earplugs Under Audio/Gaming Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hey, folks!

A friend of mine (who does not have tinnitus or hyperacusis, but who knows that I do) asked a question that I didn't know how to answer.

They asked if it was safe to use earplugs when using audio or gaming headphones.

I didn't know how to answer, so I thought I'd ask if anyone on the forum has any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance for any responses, and hope you're all doing well!

Mystery Reader

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      Wearing earplugs would literally be like setting the headphones' volume at 10% or something. Earplugs reduce the incoming air pressure waves (volume), so you will need to turn up the overall volume of the headphones more than usual to hear anything.

Now, how safe headphones are in general, especially for people with tinnitus or for causing/worsening it, is a long discussion. But I don't think wearing earplugs would be a better option than getting a high quality headphones' set and setting it at low volume.

I guess it's all about how sensitive to sound or how prone to spikes (from sound) a person is.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I haven't used headphones in 25 years, as I got tinnitus with hyperacusis using them at too high a volume without realizing it. I have no experience using earplugs with headphones but my advice to your friend is not to use them with headphones. Instead, keep the volume as low as possible when using headphones and try not to use them too often. That way there's a good chance he won't develop tinnitus.

Michael