Is It True That If You Learn to Ignore Your Tinnitus It Will Cease to Make You Any Harm?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tassadar, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Tassadar

Tassadar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      We all know how psychologically taxing tinnitus can be. It can lead to serious depression, anxiety, chronic stress.

What I am wondering is: once you learn to habituate...will all the negative side effects correlated with it cease to exist?

Thank you.

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Well if you manage to ignore it, the sound of the tinnitus itself won't be bothering you. What side effects are you thinking about?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      The short answer is - yes

Once we have habituated, T does not have a negative effect any more (or any effect at all) and thus, all the negative emotions attached to it disappear

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tassadar

Tassadar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      For example, hearing loss is correlated with increased risk of dementia. So it happens even if you are stressing about it or not...similarly, could tinnitus affect your brain even if you learn to not notice it?

5. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think it depends if your distress is of psychological nature or physiological nature (or both!).
      I can see how habituation can help with the former, but I doubt it can help with the latter. I don't have much anxiety or panic about my T anymore, so one could say I'm habituated (in the literal sense of "being used to it"), but the physiological pain is still there in full force and that is enough to impact my life greatly.

In other words, for those who have more than just psy issues with T, I think the effectiveness of habituation as a tool is fairly limited.