Is My Tinnitus Caused by Augmentin? It Started While Taking It, Yet Got Even Worse After Stopping

Discussion in 'Support' started by cry_of_the_w1nd, Apr 4, 2019.

1. cry_of_the_w1nd
      Blah

cry_of_the_w1nd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      Been battling a resistant bacterial strep infection for 2 1/2 months. Been nauseous 24/7. I was given Augmentin which didn't help at all but I noticed whooshing and ringing sounds 3-5 days into the treatment. The ENT told me that the medicine doesn't have that side effect. And after I stopped taking the medication I noticed it's only been getting louder and louder at night.

My mom who is a neurologist said the bacteria in my throat couldn't be causing it either.

SO THEN WHAT IS IT!?!? It started very suddenly during Augmentin but it got worse after I stopped taking it. I'm so freaking confused man. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is most likely Augmentin.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/3011326/?q=augmentin&o=relevance

Augmentin = amoxicillin (the least ototoxic antibiotic) + clavulinic acid. It appears that clavulinic acid is ototoxic. You might consider asking your doctor for a prescription for amoxicillin.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      How do we gauge what antibiotics are most to least ototoxic? Do you have a list? I want to have a list in case I need them in future.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      Augmentin doesn’t have that side effect.