Is Positivity Important?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Absolutely. My personal experience is when I am reading success stories or repeatedly think of people who are successfully dealing with their tinnitus, my anxiety goes down and I can even sleep ok. When I read or, even worse, engage in arguments, my anxiety spikes and I get debilitated. Both happen at exactly the same character and loudness of the tinnitus itself. It's measurable.

Last time I went on the suicidal thread and tried to support some people who were in the same boat like myself last year, I got attacked and personally insulted. It took me a while to just realise I should never ever go to such threads at all. I still want to help people, but I am still vulnerable and such attacks still affect me deeply and cause me anxiety. It's unfair and remarkable how fellow sufferers do that to each other. I probably shouldn't engage in such arguments at all,but sometimes I just can't be quiet as I find it extremely damaging.

Now we got some battles unfolding even on the hearing aids thread...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I force myself to be positive. I was suicidal before severe tinnitus and chronic illness. I’m conditioning everyday, I have no choice.

People think I spout cheese and I’m fine and dandy. Truth is everyday is a battle and it’s not easy.

I do find joy in between. We are all warriors.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try not to let anyone stop you from giving support if you want to, as your advice might be of real help to a particular person that's in a vulnerable state with tinnitus. There will always be someone that disagrees with what you have to say, because it's impossible to please everyone. If you believe in the things you want to express then carry on regardless providing you are not breaching forum rules.

Those that want to engage in battles give them a wide berth, if you get into arguments this will increase your stress and anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thank you. I usually try to just ignore it, it's like responding to a telephone prankster. However, when something really affects me personally, I feel like I need to speak up. Ideally, from the positive mindset perspective it probably is still the wrong thing to do, as such arguments bring up negativity.

I am just currently in such a generally vulnerable state that I don't want to fight with anyone. I am trying to be correct and polite with people, although I am not sure I always succeed.