Is Prednisone Dangerous for People with Ototoxic Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      As we know, a lot us take Prednisone for acoustic trauma. My tinnitus and hyperacusis started after I took Neomycin (a very ototoxic antibiotic).

My question is the following:

For those of us with ototoxic induced tinnitus, is it safe for us to take Prednisone for acoustic traumas? Are we prone to more ototoxic damage?

2. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      I'm also wondering this. I got tinnitus from Neomycin x Polymyxin.

3. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Whether prednisone helps or not, it is certainly safe for the ears. In fact, it's the go-to drug for acoustic trauma and rapidly progressing autoimmune inner ear disease.

There are cases of tinnitus worsening on prednisone, but this isn't from ototoxicity. It's a combination of drug side effects, increased anxiety, increased blood pressure, psychiatric side effects, etc.

As an aside, I love this forum, but the word "ototoxic" is greatly overused. If a drug temporarily increases tinnitus, that doesn't mean it's ototoxic. Most ototoxic drugs are in the antibiotic family.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Very Interesting point? Do you know what they consider long term? I see that long term usage has some pretty nasty effects? I'm curious as to what is "Long Term"?

5. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I doubt someone taking prednisone for acoustic trauma is in any danger of long-term use. The main concerns with prednisone are for autoimmune patients, who may have to take it for months or years, leading to loads of health problems.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      My tinnitus was also caused by antibiotics. I found prednisone to help my tinnitus.

(hope that helps)

Steph

• Like Like x 2
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Same. I had a random new tone with no known inciting cause a few weeks ago, took Prednisone and it helped substantially. My initial hearing damage and tinnitus over a year ago was caused by antibiotics.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I found Tinnitus Talk the same day I developed tinnitus and managed to persuade my doctor to give me prednisone. I'm so glad I did, cause like you, I'm sure it reduced my tinnitus.

What antibiotics did you have? I was on doxycycline for six months for an eye problem - however, it didn't fix my eyes and instead gave me tinnitus yay!

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Azithromycin. I wish i took Prednisone at the onset. I'm glad you found this place when you did.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      I got tinnitus from benzo withdrawal or Ciprofloxacin. I don't know exactly. I took one dose of Prednisone 50mg last week and I'm still spiking. Why does it spike? I thought Prednisone was supposed to help :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      A few things: a single 50mg dose of Prednisone is far less than what's usually given (usually over 60mg, for a longer period).

I'm not sure Prednisone will help in the case of Benzo withdrawal as the problem is with the GABA receptors themselves. You may need to find a doctor who specializes in Benz withdraw and in particular is familiar with the Ashton method of tapering.

There are a members here who know a lot more about Benzo withdrawal, who maybe can tell you a lot more.

It's also not clear what the mechanism of action of Ciprofloxacin induced tinnitus is but I seem to remember that improving for many people with time.

12. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been off benzos for 1.5 years. Maybe Prednisone is not for people like me who got tinnitus from benzos. I hope this goes back to baseline. Before the Prednisone I had hissing days which were my low days, buzzing days which were my medium days, and the whistling days which were my high/bad days. Now it's all bad tonal days after one Prednisone dose.

I hope there is something I can take to reverse this.

13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Prednisone can really increase anxiety as well as blood pressure in some people which could be a factor.

Anxiety and stress gives you a less favorable glutamate/GABA profile as well as is pro-inflammatory (Literally. Severe stress causes the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines as well as other changes).

I'm guessing this may be a factor for you because people who have had Benzo withdrawal have higher anxiety responses (can take many years to normalize). The best thing you can do is try to stay as calm as possible. Many spikes are short lived, but can sometimes last a few months. Stay as busy as possible and try to find calming company (even a pet).

Sorry you are going through this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe Prednisone (which I took for lupus for a few months around 11 years ago) is what caused my first panic attack.

I actually thought I was having a heart attack (as I haven't had a panic attack before), borrowed cash from a neighbor and took a cab to the ER. This was a big decision by the way, as I was not insured. I was about to call an ambulance, but someone in the apartment lobby thought it seemed like a panic attack. Even after stopping Prednisone, I had some lingering panic attacks for awhile after. I had a few panic attacks a few years ago due to my grandma's passing just before I had tinnitus (not sure if they are linked). I believe Prednisone is responsible for triggering my panic attacks, otherwise I may have never known about panic attacks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Extreme stress and subsequent release of cortisol/adrenaline... does exactly the opposite of this. Prednisone also would do the polar opposite of this.

Chronic stress results in cortisol apathy, then you get inflammation out of whack with your cortisol stimulating hormones. Kinda similar to diabetes when your pancreas stops producing insulin.

It's also why people on Prednisone for life are trapped and cannot come off it no matter what.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Prednisone is funny old stuff.

I read the side effects when I first took it for tinnitus, so I knew what I was in for. I was already feeling as low as low can be, because of developing tinnitus. When I started the course - Goodness - the suicidal thoughts and anxiety was through the roof! I was an absolute mess! I thought, I can never take that again.

However, soon after developing tinnitus, I developed a problem with my lungs, and now I’m on and off Prednisone all the time. It no longer make me anxious or unable to sleep. I guess you just get use to it.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread: My tinnitus was caused by ototoxic medication, and Prednisone never, ever, has any negative impact on my tinnitus. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do I need to taper the one dose of 50mg Prednisone? I'm scared to take more :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Physiologic "stress" effects cortisol which is anti inflammatory. However psychological stress can be pro inflammatory especially when extreme.

The impact of anxiety and catastrophizing on interleukin-6 responses to acute painful stress

I.e. coping vs uncoping stress.

20200924_103806.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
    20. Aquaticon

Aquaticon Guest

I'm glad you feel it had a positive effect. Your reaction sounds identical to mine -- I saw a lot of recommendations for taking Prednisone on this forum, and fixated on that as my only recourse. I ended up taking 60mg for a week + taper, and my condition is more or less stable now, but at the time, my head and ears were so overwrought a month ago, I couldn't really tell if it had a positive or negative effect.

I'm still pretty upset with my mild hyperacusis and dysacusis that I've developed after all this, but at least my tinnitus seems a bit better. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Help or get rid of it? To what percentage? Did the positive effects last?

22. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      It helped lower my tinnitus whilst I was taking it, but once the course is finished, the sound slowly increased again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Did it help?