Is Sleeping with Earplugs In Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by linearb, Dec 21, 2015.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A few times lately I've had occasion to pop earplugs in before sleep; I sort of hate it because I think earplugs are fairly uncomfortable and of course they make tinnitus very front-and-center... but there has been some work going on in my building, and given the choice between getting up at 730 AM (the middle of the night!), or popping plugs in to get a few more hours of sleep, I've been leaning towards the latter.

I've read a couple threads in here over the years from people who think that their tinnitus was caused, or worsened, by sleeping with plugs in -- but I can't come up with a plausible reason this should be so. I was just wondering what people's experiences with this have been, or if there's any research about it that I'm not aware of.

On some level it's hilarious to me that for years I was incapable of sleeping without a fan, let alone with earplugs in, and somehow through tinnitus I've learned to do both of those things... I wish I understood that mechanism a little better, I could probably make a million dollars.

2. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      you mean earphones? I don't understand why you would sleep with earplugs.

3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      To not hear the early construction noise?

Anyways I do not think there is any reason earplugs would do harm. Just don't yank them out full force when you are done with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I would PAY you a million dollars if you could let us all know more about the mechanism, @linearb! ;)

Anyway: I've heard that sleeping ear plugs in all the time, when you have tinnitus, is not a good idea because your brain needs the aural stimulation even at night. But if you need to do it for now until your building construction it through, I would go for it. The alternative -- not getting enough sleep -- probably will take a greater toll.

5. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      If they did it long-term, it might crank up the central auditory gain, which would bring tinnitus and other head noises up with it. That is hyperacusis sound therapy "in reverse," and sleep is one-third of a person's life.

6. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Well, my T volume seems to go down when I wear earplugs. The tones seem to dissipate and the hissing changes its intensity. I only do this for about half an hour though if my T is particularly bad. No idea why or how this happens!

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think if you only use them the odd night or so you should be fine but long term use can cause your ears be sensitive to sound.
      ..lots of love glynis

8. makethemgold

makethemgold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Is there anything that proves this one way or another? I've slept with earplugs for 10 years (I live in NYC, and can't sleep when there's anything from construction to street noise to the sound of upstairs neighbors stomping around at 2am) and I came down with mild tinnitus four years ago and intrusive tinnitus earlier this year. Would love to know here.

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Makethemgold.
      I think their is no evidence to say not to.
      I think its to each individual to see how they cope and can Imagine people who work shifts find them helpful.
      If you wear hearing aids like myself I think its better not to wear plugs at night give your ears a break and time for wax to move etc.
      For hygiene though its best make sure they are changed regularly or washed if reusable....lots of love glynis

10. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      When it comes to tinnitus, few things can be proven. However, I've heard a number of stories like yours.

Wearing earplugs all night is certainly unnatural, and the less sound your brain can hear, the more it will turn itself up to compensate. If you do this long-term, there is a point where long-term changes might take place in auditory volume.

11. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sorry, my bad. I used to sleep with earplugs before I got T. No problem, just don't lie on the ears, I have done that sometimes and woke up feeling like my ears got kicked by a horse or something.

12. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      what maybe you could do, is wearing the earphones that go inside the ear, to listen to masking, and then wear noise isolation headphones (like the ones they use at airports) OVER the inner earphones. I used to do that all the times, now I just sleep with a masker, but I would still wear the antinoise headphones over the inner earphones, if there would be a bothersome noise, such as construction noise nearby.

But again, it works mostly if you don't lie on the sides.

13. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Pillow speakers would be better for you at night and also so wax can naturally move and not get pushed in.

The BTA do a headband with speakers in too....lots of love glynis