Is Taking Steroids Worth It for Me? Noise Related Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by AxlRose, Dec 31, 2018.

1. AxlRose
      Crappy

AxlRose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I've had tinnitus for 2.5 years now, it started with a concert. I could only hear it in a quiet room and it was tolerable at least. Hearing test showed I still had great hearing.

Flash to 10 days ago, and someone blasted my ears without notice with a really loud stereo. And then 2 days after that loud children screaming didn't help.

My right ear has been sore and have been feeling plugged up. The plugged/fullness feeling has gone away but the increase in tinnitus and the soreness have not.

Needless to say I'm upset about this, but was wondering if taking steroids at this point is worth it?

I took it last time 2.5 years ago and I didn't notice an improvement, but I've also been hearing so many horror stories about it making things worse that I don't know if I want to risk it.

Any advice?

2. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I'd only take it for a really significant acoustic trauma that blasts your ear to smithereens. But someone else more learned than I might disagree?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tinnitus and hyperacusis can change very dramatically in short periods of time just due to one-off sound exposures like the ones you mentioned. It all depends on the volume; maybe the pressure and plugged feeling go away in a few weeks, but if you are unlucky and run into really loud noise tinnitus and hyperacusis can worsen permanently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      Actually there aren’t that many „horrorstories“ - I can think of only one report of allegedly permanent worsening. I myself am experiencing a spike from prednisolone (or at least i suppose it’s a) a spike and b) caused by prednisolone). It sucks but I had that before and although it took some time it eventually faded.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Steroids can possibly bring on some horrible side effects, it's your choice if you want to take them...