Is This a Temporary Spike After Tympanometry? Tinnitus Inside My Head and Experiencing Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by The Jordan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      Hello everyone, I´m a new member here and before I ask you my questions I want to tell you my story:

I had tinnitus after watching a film at the cinema, some very high pitched and loud noise that makes me scream of pain during the film apparently is what creates tinnitus and hyperacusis for me 3 month ago.

It wasn't that bad, and I was slowly recovering, but last week I went to an ENT and he did me a Tympanometry (even knowing I had hyperacusis and tinnitus), sadly I didn't know that test could possibly cause more damage to me until now.

He says I did not have any hearing loss or damage and told me that my tinnitus and hyperacusis will most likely eventually disappear (plus he remarked that I was young and that's an advantage, I'm 23 years old).

So, when I returned home, the rest of the day my tinnitus was pretty good (was like that day before going too) and I only had minor ear pain that disappear the next day (because of the test I guess).

But, during the next day after that, I started to feel my tinnitus has "move" to inside my head and now I feel like is in my head rather than in the ears like before, making a buzz/whistle like electrical circuits, and at the same time, making intense headaches and deep pain inside my head (around the zone above the ears).

This makes me feel my head physically exhausted during the day because of the pain, and
      psychologically exhausted because of the tinnitus.

I also remember feeling sometimes this pain and tinnitus inside my head thing during the first weeks but it was very occasionally and not the whole time like now, and eventually it stopped happening.

Now I'm VERY scared and sad about this situation, and since yesterday I even started to had sleeping problems.

My questions are:

-Is this "move" of my tinnitus from the ears to inside the head a sign that my tinnitus has become "chronic" and that it has installed permanently on my brain losing any chances of my tinnitus being cured now?

-You think that having tinnitus moved to my head was a result of that test? (It started like 24 hours after that, and I was fine during that timeframe).

If so, do you think that it could be a temporary spike that will disappear over time and that my tinnitus will return to be in my ears like before (where it was painless and less annoying), or it could be permanently inside my head now...? (It's been 6 days since I had this, and I had been suffering tinnitus and hyperacusis for 3 months).

Thank you very much in advice.

PS: Sorry if I made some mistakes, English isn´t my first language.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @The Jordan

The symptoms you are experiencing are not unusual with tinnitus and hyperacusis in the early stages which you are in. Try not to worry although I know this isn't easy not to do. Your ENT doctor is right in saying you're young and will probably make a very good recovery. I don't think the Tympanometry test has done any damage so again, do not worry over this. These tests are important and it's right that you have them. Because your tinnitus was caused by "noise exposure" I advise you not to use any type of headphones even at low volume. I also recommend that you never use headphones again but it's your choice. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using a sound machine by your bedside. More about this is explained in the links below.

Please click on the links and read my posts which you might find helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

3. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I actually started out with tinnitus in my ears, then my head, then both, then head, it can be that it's switching? I'm sure the the head buzz will die down soon. Just give it some time and don't stress about it, easier said than done I know and I also know the exhaustion and head aches but it's fluctuating in different ways. Good luck :)

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @The Jordan ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk .
      Tinnitus can change from one ear to both and head also.
      Head tinnitus can be stress related so try not to worry and let anxiety take hold .
      Always worth having your blood pressure checked also.
      Try keep calm relaxing music on around you when need a break from your ears.
      Getting enough sleep will help you cope better in the day so see your doctor if sleep becomes a problem.

You could well have a cold virus starting and could be adding to how you feel.
      Keep posting for support and let us know how you are doing.
      love glynis

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @sky_high

Thank you for your polite and respectful enquiry and for this reason I will reply your questions and hopefully my answers will suffice. There are some in this forum that choose not to be so respectful when corresponding with me and therefore they are usually placed on ignore.

I understand your reasons for questioning my beliefs especially that you are new to tinnitus, so I want to make a few things quite clear. I have had "noise induced" tinnitus for 22 years and like others in this forum have a lot of experience with it and have corresponded and counselled people with this type of tinnitus. My advice not to use headphones even at low volume are "specifically" meant for people that have suffered from "noise trauma or exposure to loud noise" which has caused them to develop tinnitus.

Tinnitus caused by an underlying medical problem within the auditory system or elsewhere in the body, my advice regarding headphone use is not intended for them. However, I still advise caution should they choose to use headphones.

I have used white noise generators as part of TRT and still use them. They are completely different from headphones and hearing aids are different too which I explain in my post below: Headphones and Tinnitus.

Regarding your question about have there been any studies to determine whether headphone use can make tinnitus worse, I say this. Just peruse some of the many posts in this forum from members that have "noised induced" tinnitus and successfully habituated and returned to using headphones. Many are regretting this as they have found their tinnitus increased and will not return to it's previous level. As I've mentioned in my post below: It is true some people with "noise induced" tinnitus use headphones without any problems but there is always a risk that the tinnitus could get worse.

All the best
      Michael

Headphones and Tinnitus

The views on whether a person with tinnitus should listen to music through headphones are controversial. Some people show no adverse affects while others do even when the volume level is kept low.
      We are all different so the only way a one can know is to experiment for themselves if they want to. In my opinion, when the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise/music and it has become intrusive - by this I mean a person having to seek help at ENT, then they shouldn’t listen to music through headphones no matter how low the volume is set.

Most music has syncopation throughout its frequency range, so it’s constantly changing in pitch, rhythm and timbre. The beat of the music and volume can also change while listening. This evokes pleasure and can stir our emotions. This happens whether we listen to music loud or soft, although certain types of music does sound better played at a higher volume than others, and vice versa.

Once the Cochlea in the inner ear becomes affected by noise exposure, it is much more sensitive to sound. This is one of the reasons hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is often experienced with noise-induced tinnitus. The wearing of WNGs (white noise generators) as part of TRT treatment can often cure the condition or reduce its symptoms. Someone that already has a sensitive auditory system due to noise-induced tinnitus and listens to music through headphones at a low volume, risks irritating the Cochlea further, which can make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

In my opinion, it can be misleading when some health care professionals tell tinnitus patients, listening to music through headphones is fine as long as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well and know a lot about the anatomy of the ear and therefore, it is not my intention to try and undermine their abilities or expertise. However, It must be said, that many of them have never experienced intrusive tinnitus and therefore don’t know much about. I have spoken to people and corresponded with them by email and at Internet forums, complaining their tinnitus has become worse after listening to music through headphones even though the volume was kept low. My advice to anyone that has tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise is not to listen to music through headphones, as the auditory system is more sensitive.

White noise generators.
      Some may question the use white noise generators and in-ear types that emit white noise directly into the ear. White noise generators don’t usually irritate the auditory system due to the volume being kept low and its frequency range remains constant, so there is no syncopation within it unlike music.

I believe someone that has noise induced tinnitus and uses earbuds to listen to music, is putting themselves at even greater risk of making the tinnitus worse. Earbuds are inserted into the ear canal which is around 1 inch in length, therefore they are very close to the eardrum.

6. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      @Michael Leigh I have deleted the question in the mean time because I figured this thread maybe was not the place for it. I appreciate taking time to answer though, thank you.

7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My first year of T is like this...T often shifts from one side to another, the volume going up or down...then settles in to a regular recognizable pitch.