Is Wind Noise Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tenna, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      It was recently mentioned in the introduction section, and everytime dangerous sound sources are brought up, everything but wind is.
      I can't help but to recap all the time I've spent on my bike, as well as a recent trip to an insanely windy natural area. Is it dangerous? It feels as if basically everything in your weekday is damaging to the hearing, so while you already have everything to protect oneself from, how the hell do you protect yourself from wind, and should you?

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Personally I think protection from wind is probably over protecting. I ride my bike a lot no affect on t.

3. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I doubt it. And biking is a great way to reduce stress and get some exercise. I say keep biking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Idk ive said it before but i love the wind. I was on a speed boat and waverunner couple weeks back and that is all wind in your face but it ws hott and felt good so i didnt care.

• Like Like x 1
    5. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @Grace you're a speed demon!

Water + wind is a great way to forget about T, that's for sure.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Right, I definitely agree, and I love the sound of wind too. Sometimes it's just extremely loud,.. is that nature safe? I can't believe I'd ever be in a position where I'd ask that-.-, but isn't it dangerously loud?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Lol yeah its really a blast ridin one of those. I got flipped off one few years back goin like 70 mph and when i hit the water it felt like hittin cement!!! Was so banged up lol but wind= love and natures way of masking T so i dont fear it but thats just me.

8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Tenna
      My audiologists said it falls in the harmless 'white-noise-of-nature' bucket; he doesn't seem to think it harmful. However, I do recall when I first got T the wind would agitate (my T); maybe ear plugs or ear buds would do the trick.

Mark

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      When I go fishing, driving on the freeway for at least an hour, I often scroll down the window to absorb in the natural sound of the wind. Never feel that there is a problem with that. Perhaps you can read up this info from ATA on the db of various sounds. I think anything under 85db is not a major concern.

http://www.ata.org/for-patients/how-loud-too-loud

10. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Basically, if the sound level concerns you, invest in a GOOD db meter that's easily portable and measure it to bring you some peace of mind perhaps?. Bring earplugs/muffs with you wherever you go just in case (you quite seriously never know). If you feel that the noise is too loud, it might just be too loud.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Noise is noise. Knowledge of decibels and duration is key.

• Like Like x 1
    12. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with the wind.

However, having the window open while I am driving will make my tinnitus in that ear temporarily worse. Like for a matter of a few hours. This was back when I had mild T and I never cared... it was much more fun cruising in the summer with that window open! I have yet to try it with my new version.

That said, if you're talking about riding a motorcycle it may be a good idea to wear hearing protection not only for the wind noise but also from the engine noise. I see it like this - protecting your ears can never hurt you, so why take the risk?

(ok I guess this isn't exactly true as it seems people with H are supposed to leave their ears open more...)

13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I don't think ear plugs will protect you from wind noise. The wind hitting the plugs sounds louder than no protection at all for me. Maybe ear muffs might help...as lame as that sounds....Or you could try cotton balled up. I like to ride too, this concerns me as well.

14. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

Good point. I've never been on a motorcycle and I can totally see ear plugs being a huge nuisance.

At least winter is coming so ear muffs won't look too outta place. Always gotta find the positive, eh?

15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What concerns me more is bone conduction noise as a mountain biker. I have not done this sport since the onset of my T. There is so much hammering around and I have no idea how loud this internal jolting activity actually is. From the front forks up my arms, a ton of noise travels through impact.

Even running on pavement with ear plugs sounds to me like a subwoofer in a small space. This low frequency vibration is pretty tough if not impossible to measure and there is no way to protect yourself from it, ear plugs are useless in this situation.

I would say if you road bike, you are in a pretty good situation compared to most sports.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I see, thanks for the responses! I guess I have enough things to worry about, and I'll try to not let nature be one of them ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
    17. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Depends how fast you ride. If you are a human, then no, it's not a problem.

18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What about wind speed?

19. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      ^ good point and especially if one rides a bike against a hurricane :)

20. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes, riding motorbike fast is dangerous for ears due to wind noise.

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

Wind noise 65mph - 103 dB SPL - by the way, this is the reason, why birds needs regeneration of their hair cells.

• Informative Informative x 3
    21. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      This was started mine back in 1996,or that's when I first began to notice it ,winter of that year,got to the point I put cotton wool in my ears,the wind in my ears became painful and the hissing was there.
      Got on with it then those tablets came along as Telis mentions,those changed my T to this day,from what it was prior.plus started me on anxiety road.My T now does stress me where as before I was going along fine.
      We've all got our story to our T . I don't take meds but it's never in almost 9 years since that 1 pkt reversed back again. We just keep on going hoping we get our good days out way the bad ones .

22. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Ok, sure let's go with that...in order for wind speed to be a factored in, they would have to be hurricane strength winds. Good call!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I ride all the time and haven't had any issues with it affecting my T. Sure sometimes it will cause a spike or be louder but that is with any exercise in general that pumps up your heart and BP. It always calms back down the later or the next day.

24. Blake

Blake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      only if youre riding a motorcycle or convertible that is going above 55 mph otherwise no it is not damaging

25. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      I was just wondering if the wind and water that I hear right now through my mp3 (as white noise I'm still alas afraid of my T) can damage my hearing after 3 months, the volume is of course very very low, but I was just questioning myself if earphone could be bad for the hair cells, it' not music it's white moise!