It Only Took 20 Years...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kristin VT, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Kristin VT
      Caffeine

Kristin VT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intensive violin playing, other live music at high volumes
      ... for me to seek some support from fellow suffers.

And I'm glad I finally did. I've suffered from tinnitus since at least 1995. I spent 13 years playing the violin, which was identified by my first audiologist as the likely culprit for the beginning of my hearing damage. Add to that, over 30 years spent standing in venues of all sizes watching live bands perform, and 15 years working in the music industry.

My tinnitus is moderate to severe. The sound is constant and doesn't fluctuate often in pitch or volume. Once in a while the pitch changes dramatically, which disrupts my balance. My condition seems to be getting worse as time goes on, which is part of what brought me here.

I took 10 mg of Valium daily for about four years, but can't do that any more. I've been in recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction since 2009, so regular use of benzos is off the table.

So far the only alternative treatment I've implemented is a daily magnesium supplement. I plan to start yoga right away. Any other suggestions are most welcome, especially if anyone has had success in treating or moderating severe tinnitus.

I'm glad to be here!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Amitryptaline and nortryptaline can reduce sever tinnitus for some people.
      I have been on a low dose nortryptaline for a few weeks and it's stopped my head tinnitus and drone tinnitus and took the edge off my high pitch tinnitus and sleeping well too...lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Are any of these drug s ototoxic?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kristin VT
      Caffeine

Kristin VT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intensive violin playing, other live music at high volumes
      Thanks for those suggestions. I've talked about those with my prescribing doctor, but I already take other meds for depression and anxiety. He didn't feel that tricyclic antidepressants were suitable for those purposes, so can't use them for tinnitus. But I like the idea of reducing tinnitus, so I'm still looking for options. Thanks Glynis!

• Hug Hug x 1