It's Been Six Weeks and I'm Losing My Mind

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ping43, May 14, 2018.

1. Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      Hello everyone,

My name is Lauren. Pretty sure I got tinnitus from Lexapro. I've been off Lexapro for 6 weeks now. The tinnitus literally changes from day to day. Sometimes it’s so loud I hear it over everything. I am feeling pretty beaten up.

I was wondering if it’s possible to habituate to a tinnitus that is so loud and constantly changes? I am at a compete and utter loss. I try to stay positive but sometimes I am just so mentally drained.

Any words of courage will be greatly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ping43,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Did you taper your antidepressant or stop it straight away ?
      Any medication affecting the brain can cause tinnitus and missfiring signals so always best to reduce the dose every two to four weeks.
      Anxiety can return and low mood if come off it to fast.
      I took it for two weeks but had to change to another.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I fully agree ,with what has been said here.
      We should taper off these meds, just getting off is not what I would do.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Staying off the meds and letting the body adjust is what I would do. Meds can be a godsend and be very helpful. They can also bring on side effects, it's a catch 22. Just try to remain calm and relax. Possibly listen to some nature sounds and take it day by day. I was having cinnamon cereal for the past 2-3 days and i noticed a new tone. My routine has not changed at all lately(just been having that cereal). I quit having that cereal and the new tone has gone away.

Letting our bodies relax and adjust at times is the best we can do.

Take care

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      I was on Lexapro for only a month. The ringing came on while I was still on Lexapro and my dr. advised me to discontinue as it could be a side effect of the medication. I am just so worried it’s permanent. I have been going to therapy and trying to keep distracted but my life has spiraled out of control.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It should settle but remember antidepressants take a few weeks to work and same coming off them but It should settle down so try to stay calm and keep relaxing music on around you to give you a break from your tinnitus.
      It can take time to find a AD that is best for you and you might like to try another one in time.
      Some AD meds can cause anxiety and suicidal thoughts in the first few weeks and some doctors prescribe lorazepam etc just to help with adapting to AD meds.
      keep posting for support as we are here for you around the clock to support you.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      @glynis

I really appreciate the support. I certainly have good moments and some really bad moments. I decided to not go on any ADs. I have been working with a therapist and reading self help books and meditating. Lexapro was the first time I had ever taken an AD and only did so to help get my anxiety under control but now realize that it really wasn’t bad enough to take in the first place. I almost find this whole experience as a message from some higher being that things needed to change in my life. So I am trying to run with that and know that I will come out as a strong person in the end. I am just at the stage of complete terror that This will be permanent or I will never be able to get over it if it stays.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery

@Ping43 I will never understand why therapists prescribe ADs when a patient's issue is high anxiety. Have you tried a short term prescription for an anti-anxiety medication? Under a doctor's supervision this can be a very good way to start to deal with the physical effects the high anxiety has on the body.

I am pretty sure this will be temporary for you Lauren. The AD has been reported by others to have caused temporary tinnitus for some short term use. The anxiety does not help much with the noise that is in the brain.

I hope this eases your fears about tinnitus.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      Lol it amazes me how drs are quick to prescribe any kind of medication To be honest. AD are handed out like candy. But I know they work for so many people which is great! I have decided to be a little more holistic when it come to my anxiety and it seems to be helping. And I hope it is temporary myself. Or at least stop fluctuationing so much so I can cope better. I do apprreciate the support and kind words!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro

I am doing my best to take it minute by minute. I have to at this point because thinking about the future gives me so much anxiety. I have a great life and a wonderful husband. But it just feel so bleak at the moment. I feel so horrible to have to put him through this. Nearly everyday i cry just begging him to hold me. We have only been married for a year and planned on starting a family this year and then this happens. It’s just incredibly frustrating and heart breaking at the moment. Only time will tell.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First of all you are very blessed, to have someone help you. Many of us, including myself can go through hellish days, hours and we only have ourselves to support. Yes, take it minute by minute, that is a good idea. I understand that you have a lot planned for your future/life. I suggest that you take it day by day, don't look ahead right now. The future can seem scary, when we are not feeling well and all kinds of stuff will....race through our minds.

Right now things seem a bit scary and you are anxious over the noise. Each day can give us strength, to handle our obstacles and afflictions. We may have afflictions but in time, we find ways to cope, overcome and live our lives.....

Each day is a small victory and those can add up and make a huge difference eventually :huganimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      @fishbone

Thank you so much for understanding and for your kind words. It helps to vent here so my poor husband can get a break. And yes I do consider myself to be very lucky to have him! And I do agree that each day is a small victory. That’s what gets me through sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      ADs are used for anxiety not just depression. Some ADs though like Welbutrin are not used for anxiety as they are known to increase it. A majority of SNRIs and SSNRIs help with anxiety. the thing with ADs is that they affect everyone differently. There are genetic tests you can take though that narrow down the best ones for you.

14. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I wonder if a very small amount of melatonin right before you go to sleep might help. Of course it could make it worse. :( I'm not sure. You might want to ask a pharmacist.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Okalready

Okalready Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi ((((Ping)))) hugs to you, how much I relate. Since my T started I want more hugs from my husband too. It's natural to want to be comforted. Hold on to hope and faith grows. Every day we can choose to win no matter our circumstances.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      @Ping43

Hi, Ping43. It appears that we have been dealing with tinnitus for same length of time. I know how draining and tiring it can be at times, but we have to hold on to hope. Having had this for such a short time means that there is a very real possibility that it may go away. Do your best to read as many positive posts and success stories as you can, they are real and many people beat tinnitus or manage to come to terms with it and go on to live wonderful lives.

Keep coming here for support and encouragement. Our spouses, family and friends cannot completely understand what we are dealing with, through no fault of their own. The good people here truly understand our struggle because they struggle as well.

One day at a time.

~emmalee

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      @Ping43
      I'll second what @emmalee just said above. Some of the most positive people that I've seen on this Forum have already interacted with you, here! Follow their threads, read their stories and input to other members, and you will know that you've landed in the right spot for support. My best to you.

Mystery Reader

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      @emmalee
      @Mystery Reader

Thank you so much for your kind words! Positive thinking and hope are the two things that really help get me through day to day. There are so many wonderful people here who truly what to help encourage us. I try my best to stay away from the negativity on this forum and focus mainly on the positive! I am really glad to have joined to find support!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Danikam
      Happy

Danikam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy/unknown
      Have had T for a little over a year
      Thought my life was over when it first came on...anxiety through the roof, cried every day, was afraid to use the vacuum or blow dry my hair...thought it would make it worse.

I heard it over everything!! It was so loud and it scared me. I would listen for it, plug my ears to check on it...spent hours researching it. I obsessed over it. Thought about it and talked about it constantly.

My best friend had to come babysit me because I couldn't be alone.

But...

It ever so slowly got better...

I would have good days, good weeks....backslide into the fear and beat myself up over it.

I slowly started living my life again...blow dried my hair....no spike....vacuumed the house....no spike

I started to calm down

Tinnitus based CBT help me control my thoughts and emotions about my tinnitus....it was something I could have control over when I felt very much out of control.

I don't hear it that much now....unless I try to

If I do hear it I have zero reaction

I can hear it right now....because I'm listening for it.....a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......no reaction

I have my life back, I'm happy, I can sleep.

When it first started all I wanted was to be in the place I am now with it but I never thought it was possible....I was too scared, sad, panicked. I thought I could never get use to it....never live with it.
      I was told I was wrong....that I'd get here...that made me mad....how could they know!!!

But here I am

Bzzzzzzzzzzz.......so what!!!!

You can get here too!!!

It does get better......you're not alone!

Xoxo

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ping43

Ping43 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lexapro
      @Danikam

Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I really needed that today. I know it’ll get easier. I have my moments. Hope all is well and thank you for sharing your story!

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      @Ping43 did your tinnitus get better eventually or at least did you manage to cope with it?

I have a similar story, please excuse the long post but I did not want to open a new thread since my story is very close to the one of the OP.

I have been on Escitalopram (Lexapro) 10mg for 4 weeks and before that 6 weeks on 5mg. I was prescribed the medicine for mild depression and health anxiety. Since I switched to 10 mg I have seen some improvements in my mood and a lack of anxiety, until one evening when I noticed a really high pitched sound in my ears. After reading on the internet that it could be a side effect of the medicine and possibly permanent I have started tapering off (currently on my 4th day at 5mg and I plan on stopping soon).

I have visited an ENT doctor in the meantime and he said there is no visible damage to my ears or wax and my hearing is perfect. On top of that he confirmed that it is very likely that the Lexapro caused this as he had several patients with the same problem as me (I live in Germany and here it is the most prescribed antidepressant). He also confirmed that going off the medication is a good idea but to confirm with the prescribing doctor as well.

When I asked if it ever goes away he said 'there is a good chance' but he cannot promise anything. He suggested I take
      Ginkgo Biloba 120mg twice a day, but in a way I know he did it mostly for the placebo effect.

I just felt it would be a good idea to share my story so other people with similar situations know they are not alone, or even better, they think twice before getting on this medicine. I will update this thread if my condition gets better.

Wish you all the best!