I've Never Posted on a Thread Before, But Have Suffered Severe Tinnitus for 26 Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bob R., Aug 20, 2016.

1. Bob R.

Bob R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skull Fracture
      I found this forum recently. Although this is my first post on a forum, I do read them frequently looking for breakthroughs and tools. I found this forum to be very informative.

After a near fatal accident 26 years ago where I incurred a basilar skull fracture, I lost all of my hearing in my left ear and most in my right. The tinnitus was immediate and never diminished. Wearing a hearing aid in my right ear helps some with that ear, but my left ear has just kept blaring away. I have continued to lose more hearing in my right ear, and with it, the severity of the tinnitus gets worse. I have tried all kinds of masking, cognitive brain training, tinnitus retraining therapy, and volunteered for many studies. Nothing has worked due to the severity of my hearing loss and none of the studies would accept me. My score on the ATA's THI (American Tinnitus Association's Tinnitus Handicap Inventory) is in the catastrophic range. I recently measured my tinnitus again, with my hearing aid in my right ear (an extended wear CIC) and matched at three doubling octives, the best being about 6000 hz (3000 and 12,000 were the others). Even with my hearing aid in, the loudness of the tinnitus could only be somewhat matched when I turned the volume to the maximum of 100 dBs.

I was able to work for 23 years following my accident, but after two severe drops in what the remaining hearing I have left in my right ear, I went on disability. I have turned from trying to treat my tinnitus to relying on anxiety/depression/concentration prescriptions, pyschological therapy, and my spirituality.

I'm not even sure why I posted this today. I don't expect to find help. I guess I feel like I should at least share my story, even though it probably sounds like I am feeling sorry for myself. I would like to thank all of the folks that have posted on this forum that are truly trying to help others.

I have never posted before so I'm sure I did it right.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Sounds like yor're a trooper to me. Keep plugin away and best to you

3. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

You were able to work 23 years with one deaf ear and almost deaf other ear and severe tinnitus?
      You are my hero man. Wish you all best

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you considered a cochlear implant? It apparently has a reasonable chance of getting rid of your T. It's probably not a good option to consider if your hearing is still good, but it sounds like you may be close to completely deaf, so that may be something to consider.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bob R.

Bob R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skull Fracture
      Thanks Greg. I have looked into the cochlear implant several times and talks with folks that have them. I'm just shy of being a candidate for one, so until then, I prefer to stick with the natural sound of an acoustic hearing an aid provides versus electric stimulation for as long as I can. I've heard mixed results from people on how they like cochlear implants and have yet to hear that it eliminate tinnitus. In the meantime, I see that there are hybrid (electric/acoustic) implants coming out and acoustic ones in other countries. Hopefully when I am a candidate (which won't be long as I lose more hearing in my right ear), the acoustic implants will be available.

My hearing loss is Sensorineural, so I am always on the lookout for developments addressing this, though I am sure I miss a ton of stuff. One example was a study done by a Kansas University professor where a virus was injected into participants to test if it would restore hearing to people with Sensorineural loss. I was ruled out of that study as well.

I've found some peace and have become very patient. Yes, I have my bad days - plenty, and even worse nights. But I trust that something will definitely come along that will bring me total peace.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Hux

Hux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That is, you are the living proof that acceptance or habituation not work , nor the trt?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
    8. Filip

Filip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud earbuds music/ear infection
      This made me cry

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bob R.

Bob R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skull Fracture
      Wow, thanks for the replies. And trust me, I think of all of (you) tinnitus suffers daily and know how difficult it can be for you.

Resiliency is a powerful thing when you are dealt something without a choice. It helps when you have people that love you. I didn't mean to make you cry, sorry. I think God gives us what he knows we can handle. I've been able to use it as a means to help others, especially young adults, find their own strength and resiliency when today's pressures of life circumstances get to them.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Elida Martínez

Elida Martínez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      More than 5 years, not too sure.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m quickly becoming aware of how knowledgeable, empathetic, and understanding you and many on this forum are. I’m hoping to learn more and accept that my tinnitus will probably not go away. I thank you for that. I wish you well in your own struggle.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    11. axelle484

axelle484 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + sinus infection?
      I stumbled upon your post while puttering around this forum after a really bad week with my T and I just want you to know that you are my hero. Seeing other peoples struggles and stories are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing yours.