I've Recently Been on Doxycycline, Tylenol and Aleve, Now Have Tinnitus and Need Support

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alvin Crespo, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Alvin Crespo
      Buzzed

Alvin Crespo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone!

Hope you're all doing good.

I recently started hearing buzzing that sounds much louder in the evening/night for about 2 months now. I did some research and was completely shocked at the number of medications that are ototoxic! Medications that I've been using very recently, including:

- Doxycycline (for an infection earlier this year)
      - Tylenol / Aleve (for back pain and general pain)

I had no idea any of these medications had this kind of effect. I've completely stopped taking pain killers. On top of that, I used to wear headphones for work and gaming - and it was probably too loud.

I just got my J&J vaccine last week and didn't have an issue. I started Lexapro on Monday and had my ears ring 5 times in one day - I immediately stopped it. I told my PCP and am trying to figure out alternatives.

Yeah - there is a lot here.

It's now 3:15AM and I've been awake since 12:30AM because my buzzing has been super loud tonight.

I've got an appointment for the 30th of April with my ENT/Audiologist to go over these issues - but I think I might make that sooner because this is really scaring me.

I don't know where to begin. I've read ATA's website but would love some recommendations from folks here.

Thank you in advance!

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. CanadianMaple
      Frustrated

CanadianMaple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity / Noise Exposure
      I really feel for you Alvin. Ototoxic drugs are very common and used too frequently in my opinion, sometimes though there is no other option.

I believe my tinnitus was caused my medications. I believe everyone has a "threshold" of hearing protection. Some less, others more. Some can shoot a gun their whole lives and not have any hearing problems, others shoot once and are left deaf or with permanent tinnitus.

I grew up working around heavy machinery, hunting, loud music, Call of Duty and NO hearing protection. Never had a problem until I needed painkillers for migraines, and psychiatric meds. I think these either removed my natural protection or broke that threshold.

I could go on for hours. It does get better.