Jaw Popping, Cracking, Crunching & Should I Not Be Sleeping without Tinnitus Masking?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jhl, Mar 28, 2019.

1. jhl

jhl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows
      I can pop and rumble my tinnitus ear very easily. I have jaw popping, cracking and crunching. It makes rumble noises after loud sounds. It’s not good for me to look for a cure because it affects my habituation but I’m wondering what to do. Been to dentist and many doctors and nothing. What could this be?

I try to spend time off this forum because I don’t think it’s possible to habituate while coming on here, but recently I have been doing better.

Another question I have is that should I not be sleeping without masking? I read lots on here and it seems everyone masks their tinnitus. Mine gets pretty loud but I sleep in silence every night. Is this ok? I am more bothered by emotions than the sound.

2. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Maybe it’s a problem with your Eustachian tubes?

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      See a doctor. The most common themes among tinnitus sufferers are TMJ and some lost hearing.

I sometimes have mild cracking when I open my jaw too, I attribute it to a stupid yawning habit I had.

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah you shouldn’t sleep in silence, I’ve heard that will make you deaf.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jhl

jhl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows
      I am at around the year and a half mark with my tinnitus and in the last half year I’ve been going in and out of not caring about tinnitus. Is this normal? I’m really nervous my whole life’s going to be a roller coaster.

Is it possible to habituate if I have anxiety and depression issues. Thank you please keep the negativity away as I am looking for support.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @jhl

I'm the same, you're not alone. To be honest I'm not sure I will ever go back to my carefree days before tinnitus. I take it one day at a time, thinking too far into the future makes me too anxious.

I'm sure someone else can give a much better reply! Just know you're not alone, I'm paddling up shit creek with you.