Just Came to Terms with Tinnitus — Now It's Started All Over Again After a Walk on a Windy Day

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sam969, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Sam969

Sam969 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL
      Hi Everyone,

I’m in my late 40’s and I got tinnitus with sound induced hearing loss 5 years ago. I found it difficult for the first few years but the fourth and fifth year became easier and a month ago I could hardly notice it. I was happy again.

Then a massive setback, I went for a walk on a quite a windy day and when I got back, I noticed my tinnitus had gotten loud again. I left it for a couple of days and did a hearing test (mobile phone app). I was shocked to see my hearing had got significantly worse compared to previous tests.

I have mild hyperacusis, my ears feel full all the time and day by day my hearing seems to be getting slightly worse.

The tinnitus is bad, and I can just about cope with it but the thought of totally losing my hearing is destroying me. I can’t sleep, I’m getting terrible palpitations at night and am having totally involuntary anxiety attacks that last for hours of the night.

I have an ENT appointment soon but in the meantime is there anything I can do to help stop the hearing loss? Does ear fullness mean my hearing is deteriorating?

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Perhaps you can schedule an appointment while you're at it, since your ENT will likely want you to take a hearing test. Hopefully your ENT can fast-track you to see an audiologist.

3. MaxRabbit

MaxRabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft, NOISE, Anxiety, EARBUDS.
      Hi Sam. I'm too new to this to give advice. I can share I have the same fear that I'm going deaf while suffering these crazy noises in my head... I would protect your ears with earplugs while out in conditions that will bother you. The stress and fear I now experience with this makes me dry heave/gag at least once a day. I hope you have ways to manage stress and that seems to be key in recovery. I hope your ear gets better from the wind attack!

4. ADL

ADL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Sam, so are you doing better?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    5. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      The only thing I have to add to this thread is that mobile phone app audiograms are not reliable.

• Like Like x 1